The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Wannabebig New Member

Help me maximize my weight gaining potential

Hi. New guy here. Stats are at about 135, bf%=?, 5-9. My goals are to gain about 10 pounds (fat + muscle) as soon as I can, I was thinking in the next 2 months. Is something like that realistic or not? I have been working out and eating rather haphazardly within the past couple of weeks with minimal gains in weight and minimal progressions in training. I would you to critique my routine and whatever it is I'm doing, point out the obvious to me, and help tweak it to maximize my weight gaining potential. I've posted here in the Diet section because I thought my diet would be more important in terms of helping me gain weight.

Work out with lifts:

Basically the first wannabebig routine with whatever equipment that is available to me. That translates to:

Day 1 : Chest and Back

Chest

Flat Barbell Bench Press : 100 x 3-4 , x 3-4
    Low Incline Dumbbell Press : 60 x 10, x 10
    Dips : (Assisted) x 10-15, x 10-15

Back :

Chin ups : (don't have the equipment)
    Deadlifts : 100 x 10, x 10
    Barbell Rows : 60 x 6-8, x 6-8
    Shrugs : 80 x 10, x 10

Day 2: Rest

Day 3 : Legs

Squats : 110 + (how much the smith machine bar weighs) x 10, x 10
    Hack Squats : (don't have a clue how to do these)
    Leg Curls : 50 x 10, 50 x 10
    Straight Legged Deadlifts : (don't do this)
    Standing Calve Raises : 110 + (smith machine bar) x 10, x 10, x 10, x 10

Day 4: RestDay 5 : Shoulders, Triceps and Biceps

Shoulders

Military Press in Rack : 60 x 6-8, x 6-8

Seated Dumbbell Press : 20 x 10, x 10
    Standing Lateral Raises : 10 x 10, x 10

Triceps :

Narrow Grip bench Press : 20 x 10, 20 x 10
    French Press : 20 x 10, 20 x 10

Biceps :

Barbell Curls : 30 x 15, 30 x 15
    Hammer Curls : 15 x 10

Alright, I know my lifts suck, but that's because I'm weak. And I find myself not being able to get to positive failure sometimes because either I am too tired or I don't have a spot to really get me to that failure point on some of the more heavy exercises. Another thing is, I'm a very busy guy and not getting a lot of rest and I would like if someone could provide me with a good 2 day bulking split. If I should stick to my current routine, add some exercises, get rid of some, add some weight, or lower some weight, train harder, let me know.

Diet:

2 bagels + cottage cheese + milk

631 cals
    79g carbs
    49 g protein
    13 g fat

3 mchicken sandwhiches

1350 cals
    138g carbs
    78g protein
    54g fat

3 rice + chicken + frozen vegetables

1348 cals
    124g carbs
    119g protein
    39g fat

Totals:
    3329 cals
    341g carbs
    246g protein
    106g fat

That basically works out to 8 meals, eaten at different times during the day. A lot of times I don't even getting around to doing all the meals, so If anything at all, the values are gonna be smaller than what they are (I just punched that stuff into a nutritional site). I have trouble eating so much because I don't have a large appetite, and I find that I spend a lot of time just eating b/c I eat slow, maybe an hour and a half a day. So, any criticisms on my diet, if I should eat more food, or if should eat more healthy food are welcome.

Then there's sleep. I'm averaging from 6-8 hours of sleep a night (I know that sucks terribly), a lot of times sleeping from 2AM to 10AM. So, that hurts me a lot. How many hours of sleep a night should I be averaging?

I'm not downing 8-10 glasses of water a day, more like 5-6 glasses, so I know I need to up that.

I'm not taking any supps or weight gainers, but my friend said has good results from 1-AD, which is supposedly a testosterone booster. Anybody have any info on that? Side effects?

Ok, rip me apart. Thanks in advance.
    Regards,
    Mr. Perfect

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wannabebig New Member
    Bump...
    Regards,
    Mr. Perfect

Calories:

Eat more than you require for your daily activities (500+)

Macros:

Pick 'em, there are many different opinions. Personally, I use 30p/40f/30c. I've found a higher carb. diet causes to much unnecessary weight gain. I would suggest experimenting until you find your personal minimum/maximum.

Training/Resistance:

Pick 'em, again many opinions. As long as you use good form, progress in either reps. or weight consistently it should provide gains. (watch overtraining) I currently use a M-W-F split grouping chest, tris, shoulders/legs,abs/back bi's together. I do 2 compound movements (possibly 1 finishing movement) with 2 sets each to failure in the 7 - 9 rep range.

Training/Cardio:

I always do cardio 3 - 4 times weekly, because I like it, it keeps my heart & lungs healthy and it works as part of my desired physique type. (varies between running, incline treadmil, hiking, biking, etc.)

Some say no cardio when bulking because it burns cals., but I simply eat based upon my level of activity and my activity includes cardio.

Sleep:

I get about 6 hours nightly. Some say more, but I don't need it and I don't have the time to waste sleeping as much as some would suggest. (got a lot of living to do, can't be done sleeping, uh ?)

Supplements:

Don't use 'em with the exception of a multi-vitamin & whey for the customary post w/o beverage. I also use caffeine (tablet) to intensify resistance & intense cardio workouts.
    Last edited by jc_az; 07-23-2002 at 03:51 PM.