Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arnold's Birthday

Banned

Arnold's Birthday

Arnold is hitting the big 55 this year, Tuesday of next week in fact.

I, for one, can hardly believe that he's that old... I mean, that's my DAD's age.

Don't some places start offering seniors' discounts for people over 55? LOL! I can just imagine Arnold getting 15% off his next supplements purchase or something.

We should like, have a chat party or something equally geeky yet bodybuilding-related, to like, celebrate and stuff.

What's with everyone's fixation with Arnold? The guy makes bad movies.
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

"Bah. You know I hate poor people."

Paul Stagg

Originally posted by Manveet
    What's with everyone's fixation with Arnold? The guy makes bad movies.
    In the opinion of many--including myself--he *had* the best physique ever. Plus I think he's made a bunch of very cool movies: Terminator, Conan the Barbarian, Predator, True Lies, to name a few. You think those all suck?

We tend to think of Sisyphus as a tragic hero, condemned by the gods to shoulder his rock sweatily up the mountain, and again up the mountain, forever. The truth is that Sisyphus is in love with the rock. He cherishes every roughness and every ounce of it. He talks to it, sings to it. It has become the mysterious Other. He even dreams of it as he sleepwalks upward. Life is unimaginable without it, looming always above him like a huge gray moon. He doesn’t realize that at any moment he is permitted to step aside, let the rock hurtle to the bottom, and go home.

Parables and Portraits, Stephen Mitchell

Where the grass is green and the girls are pretty
    Arnold is so overrated.

The Chicken Mr'ga
    Arnold who?

*sits and waits for somebody to attempt to spell his surname*
    For every $1 you donate to the "buy Lude more weight plates foundation", you will help add 1kg to my 1RM.

<spam> Journal </spam>

Current Stats: 85kg @ 13.6%
    Goal: 87-88kg @ 8-9%
    Goal Due Date: 1/12/05

In the opinion of many--including myself--he *had* the best physique ever. Plus I think he's made a bunch of very cool movies: Terminator, Conan the Barbarian, Predator, True Lies, to name a few. You think those all suck?
    Well...if you like simplistic story lines, large explosions and bush league acting, then I guess those movies are good.
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

Paul Stagg

hmm, I like to be big!!!
    yeah I DO, only little fruities need plot and emotions(barring anger, rage or insanity)
    Chris Mason is my master.....

American cars are like fat people, sure, they have a lot of power, but they're not built well, and they have all that useless weight, plus they make both make funny noises.

feel free to aim me, nejar462 im on a lot. Don't know much to warn you dudes, but im good at conversations.

Belial in reference to Ronnie Coleman, "Some people say he still has blood in his steroid stream, but I doubt it. Gas isn't one of the side effects, but that massive bloated overly muscular freak of nature circus sideshow appearance might be what tips most people off."

ooo boy...wait till rock sees this

decease, RIP
    Well I'm not a big fan, but I do think if it wasn't for him non of us would be here reading this right now.
    big.

Arnold's movies are classic cult stuff - I wouldn't call them "film" or anything so uppity but you have to appreciate them for what they are.

I for one, wish Arnie a happy 55. He's a good guy and he's done a lot for the sport. Big is right, we wouldn't be here on this site if it weren't for him.
    Last edited by runt; 07-25-2002 at 03:46 PM.
    sometimes slowly

My stats:
    Age - 43
    ht - 5' - 7"
    wt - 152 lbs
    bf% - 10.5%
    pipe dream goal 175 lbs @ 10% bf
    making the switch to power lifting

Genetic Experiment GeneticallyGifted's Avatar
    Stockholm, Sweden...Mainly, New York,New York, Los Angeles,CA., Civitinova Marche, Italy
    Arnold is great, because of what he has done for the sport, with promotions and all but I do think that he is overrated. I do think that there were better bodies that have graced the stage. Arnold is such a house hold name and the man because Weider invested so much in him. . Atleast that is my opinion.

GG
    Last edited by GeneticallyGifted; 07-25-2002 at 04:03 PM.
    STATS COMING SOON:Age: 29 | Height: 5'10" | Weight: 78KG/ 172LBS| bf: |Years Training:?? | All-natural: Yes|

Chest: | Shoulders: | Upper Arm: | Forearm: |
    Waist: |Neck:| Upper Thigh: | Calf: |

Personal Bests: COMING SOON:
    Flat Barbell Presses: | Dips: |Wide-grip Palms Away: |
    Military Barbell Press: |Barbell Squats: |

schwarzenegger
    "learn to swim"
    -maynard

arnold is the single greatest bodybuilder of ALL time*
    -deFenDeRs oF thE unDerRateD

If it doesnt make dollars, then it doesnt make sense

I never knew how skinny I was untill I started gaining a little weight

Genetic Experiment GeneticallyGifted's Avatar
    Stockholm, Sweden...Mainly, New York,New York, Los Angeles,CA., Civitinova Marche, Italy
    Originally posted by kAiXuan
    arnold is the single greatest bodybuilder of ALL time*
    Now that you have said this please back this up. Without saying because he won Mr. Olympia so many times. That is putting Ronnie Coleman in the same league. Bloated Steriod Stomach and all.

GG
    STATS COMING SOON:Age: 29 | Height: 5'10" | Weight: 78KG/ 172LBS| bf: |Years Training:?? | All-natural: Yes|

Chest: | Shoulders: | Upper Arm: | Forearm: |
    Waist: |Neck:| Upper Thigh: | Calf: |

Personal Bests: COMING SOON:
    Flat Barbell Presses: | Dips: |Wide-grip Palms Away: |
    Military Barbell Press: |Barbell Squats: |

Back at it
    Who gives a $%*^(#$ about Arnold's movies?! It's the bodybuilding that got him into Hollywood anyway, so it'd be a shame if everybody just remembered him for his films.

I urge everybody to pick up his book "the education of a bodybuilder". It's written by him and gives a good look at just what an animal the guy was in training.

He was basically the Larry Bird/magic johnson of bodybuilding. The Bird/Johnson duo made basketball well known and mainstream, and Arnold did the same for bodybuilding.

The Chicken Mr'ga
    Originally posted by GuitarPlayer
    schwarzenegger
    For every $1 you donate to the "buy Lude more weight plates foundation", you will help add 1kg to my 1RM.

<spam> Journal </spam>

Current Stats: 85kg @ 13.6%
    Goal: 87-88kg @ 8-9%
    Goal Due Date: 1/12/05

MulletII - AKA Ninja Boner Gyno Rhino's Avatar
    Well, he made it as "mainstream" as it's ever been. I sure as hell wouldn't call it mainstream. I mean, it ain't as underground as something like "pussy ping-pong" or something, but it's pretty obscure. Most people don't have the slightest clue what a modern bodybuilder looks like.
    Founding Member and CEO of the FFFA

"All that matters is beauty on the inside! Outside beauty doesn't matter!"
    ~This is something ugly people say to feel better about themselves...

"Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"
    ~This is something wussy people say to feel better about themselves...

Pearls of Wisdom...

Resident Ninja Demon (with a pet Radioactive Sloth) and SchlonkeyMaster of WBB!

Rock is my 'Big Viking Brother', and not in a homo-esque way.

And no COLON jokes, bastards!

Originally posted by Manveet

Well...if you like simplistic story lines, large explosions and bush league acting, then I guess those movies are good.
    No, they're not high art, but they're damn entertaining. Just like 'Star Wars' or 'Raiders of the Lost Ark' are(Both of which are better than anything Schwarzenegger has ever done).

If you don't enjoy them you've gotta be some sort of eunuch or something. Go watch 'Gosford Park'.
    Last edited by Blood&Iron; 07-25-2002 at 05:24 PM.

We tend to think of Sisyphus as a tragic hero, condemned by the gods to shoulder his rock sweatily up the mountain, and again up the mountain, forever. The truth is that Sisyphus is in love with the rock. He cherishes every roughness and every ounce of it. He talks to it, sings to it. It has become the mysterious Other. He even dreams of it as he sleepwalks upward. Life is unimaginable without it, looming always above him like a huge gray moon. He doesn’t realize that at any moment he is permitted to step aside, let the rock hurtle to the bottom, and go home.

Parables and Portraits, Stephen Mitchell

and dont forget about comedy movies he did, too, twins, junior, etc.

...has lost his saucepan
    Wheres Sally?

I Let him Goooooooo
    HelP mY HeaD iS sTucK tO Teh D0oR

oOne in five hundred women have 3 nipples.
    oA cockrach will live 9 days without its head before it starves to death.
    oThe average man spends 27 hours a year having sex.
    oA pigs orgasm lasts for around 30 minuites.

oMy flash - Dancin simpsons | kill grampa | kill barney
    oLinks - Email me | My journal | Gurn.net | Trance.nu

One in five hundred women have 3 nipples

i dont believe that, prove it.

Cool
    ...watch me reap of what I sow....

and BOOM goes the dynomite!

Ya I kinda was rough on Arnold, it's not just him, it's all the action movie actors like Stalone, Chuck Norris, Steven Segal, John Claude Van Damn, Vin Diesel etc... All of these guys including Arnold cannot act worth s***. However, with that said, this thread has nothing to do with Hollywood actors, I can give Arnold credit were credit is due, he was a great bodybuilder, that is all.

Richard Dawkins

Richard Dawkins

Paul Stagg

Back at it
    Originally posted by Gyno Rhino
    Well, he made it as "mainstream" as it's ever been. I sure as hell wouldn't call it mainstream. I mean, it ain't as underground as something like "pussy ping-pong" or something, but it's pretty obscure. Most people don't have the slightest clue what a modern bodybuilder looks like.
    Very true about it's as mainstream as its ever been in terms of people knowing who guys like Dorian Yates are, but Arnold made the world aware of what bodybuilding even is.

By mainstream I mean that when somebody says 'bodybuilder', they know that you are talking about somebody who intentionally tries to gain lean muscle mass, and usually lots of it. Before Arnold people didn't even really have much of an undderstanding about what a bodybuilder was. Sure there were bodybuilders and those interested in it knew about it, but today if you ask pretty much anybody they'll give some sort of accurate reply about what it is.

Even at that there are a lot of misconceptions about the sport.

Back at it
    To add to what I just said, it was Hollywood that introduced arnoldd and bodybuilding to the public, so his acting career does deserve credit with that.