The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 33 12311 ... LastLast

Countdown to South Carolina 2003 NPC Competition.

I debated over whether to start an online journal, but I honestly feel it will FINALLY force me to do a better job of recording my lifts and keeping up with my nutrition.

Prior to starting this journal, I had gotten into the habit of just going to the gym and working a bodypart without regard to knowing what exercises I was even going to perform. tuttut Basically, I just kept mixing things up to keep my body guessing.

My nutrition is good, but certainly not great. I do get about 250-275 grams of protein a day, but I have no clue what my fat and carb intake is daily. I do eat every 3 hours though. I also always awake to a protein shake (or MRP) and have an MRP with peanut butter before I go to sleep. I typically get 7-9 hours of sleep each night.

THE WORKOUT PLAN:
    Monday: Chest/Abs

Tuesday: Legs/Calves

Wednesday: Rest

Thursday: Shoulders/Traps/Triceps

Friday: Back/Bis/Abs

Saturday: Rest

Sunday: Rest

I will list exercises after each workout as I am hesitant to restrict myself to the same ones

I will also try very hard to list my daily nutrition.

Finally, as my goal is to compete in my first bodybuilding show next June in Columbia, SC for the State NPC's....I will post these 3 pictures as my starting point and try to update every 2 months or so with new pictures. Pictures will follow in 3 new posts.
    Last edited by BennettBoy; 07-24-2002 at 01:24 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Frontal picture: (most muscular)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by BennettBoy; 07-24-2002 at 01:25 PM.

Picture of back: (back lat spread)

Picture of quads

Dude, I wish you the best of luck. I think you have a very good body already and you can improve it to be a superb one and be placed very high in the BB show.
    Stats
    5'10,185-190lbs, 12-16%bf

I still don't know how all you guys eat so much protein

At least you don't have to worry about losing much bf for the contest eh
    Beachbody coaching lets you turn your hobby into a career - Beachbody

Good luck on your quest and well done on your development thus far.

Going_big, Now that I'm used to eating protein as a staple, I don't seem to have too much problem getting enough when I'm good about my diet. I just got to stay away from my cheat foods.

Me /pwn1ng by Xian Rookie's journal Rookie's Picture Thread

Damn right you will be! We don't mess around down here. Liquor and Steel, that's what we're all about -Casey

ROFL, oh man - I usually wait until I'm on the freeway to do that. What an idiot! -teufy doing what he does best.

You aren't strong enough or pretty enough to train in the evenings with us...better stick to noon workouts with the rest of the geriatrics. - pup

Yeah. I'm a dork. - Teufy

Better yet, "why should anyone's interpretation of divinity govern modern society?" - Twilo

Wednesday, July 24, 2002

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Training

Sometimes I choose to do arms by themselves and thus end up with 5 workout days for the week.

ARMS:
    Superset
    Seated Dumbbell Triceps Overhead - 65 X 10, 75 X 10
    Barbell Bicep Curls - 105 X 8, 105 X 7

Superset
    Tricep Rope Pressdowns - 100 X 10, 120 X 10
    EZ Bar Preacher Curls - 90 X 7, 90 X 6

Superset
    Tricep Underhand Single-arm pulldowns - 60 X 7, 60 X 7
    Dumbbell Hammer Curls - 45 X 8, 45 X 7

FOREARMS:
    Barbell Wrist Curls - 85 X 10, 85 X 10
    Behind Back Barbell Wrist Curls - 85 X 10, 85 X 10

ABS:
    2 X 20 Hanging Leg Raises
    2 X 20 (60 lbs.) Cybex Ab Machine
    2 X 20 Seated Broomstick Twists
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nutrition

Meal 1 @ 6:30 a.m.: Ultramet Choc. Shake/Banana
    Meal 2 @ 8:45 a.m.: 3 eggs, 1 sausage patty, 2 slices ham
    Meal 3 @ 11:45 a.m.: 6 oz. grilled chicken breast, brown rice, 1 cup peas
    Meal 4 @ 3:30 p.m.: can tuna, 20 grams whey protein
    Meal 5 @ 6:30 p.m.: 1 bottle Gatorade, Ultramet Choc. Shake/1 tablespoon peanut butter
    Meal 6 @ 8:30 p.m.: 6 oz. grilled chicken breast, 1 can green beans
    Meal 7 @ 12:30 a.m.: Ultramet Choc. Shake w/ 1/2 cup skim milk.

Water - 2+ Gallons

General Notes

Workout went OK I guess. It is hard to gauge because I don't do arms seperately but maybe once a month. I never really try to lift too heavy when doing arms....rather I focus on good form and slow reps.

I will eventually start trying to put in my protein, carb, and fat grams and total calories but was too lazy to look all that up tonight.

That's about it. Damn this takes a long time and I am going to have to really kick myself in the ass to be diligent about it....but I must if I want to compete.

I will weigh tomorrow. Might see if I can get my bodyfat checked as well.

Please feel free to comment on anything you read in this journal.

Peace.
    Last edited by BennettBoy; 07-25-2002 at 06:43 AM.

Last night I didn't get my normal amount of sleep. I did get 6 hours, but usually I get close to 8 hours (unless it is a weekend ). I was talked into going to a local pub with a friend

Today will be Shoulders/Traps day. I love working my shoulders and really have been focusing on trying to bring my side delts up to par. My front and rear delts are pretty good and I have alot of striations in my delts anyway. I guess it is one of my better bodyparts as most folks are always complimenting me on them. And the ladies at the gym always tell me I have wide shoulders....but they say that is a GOOD THING.

I will have another post later today or tomorrow detailing my shoulder workout, nutrition and general comments. Hopefully today I can find a good chart that has calorie information so I can start tracking my calories. I also need to remind myself I need to buy some dextrose to add in with my post workout shakes.

For supplements right now I am doing MRP's (Chocolate Ultramet.....yummy), multivatimins, 2000 mg. Vitamin C, 400 IU Vitamin E, and Dymetatrine Extreme (ECA). I guess I may as well go on and get some creatine too since I need to get in a bulking mode.

My goal is to get close to 200 pounds by eating pretty clean (just getting more clean calories), and then to cut starting around next March. Adding weight for me isn't easy because I have always been very picky about how I add it, and I strive to always stay lean with my abs being visible.

NOTE: You may notice when looking at my workouts I do a higher volume of sets than some folks recommend. But I have found this is what works for my body.

Peace out.
    Last edited by BennettBoy; 07-25-2002 at 08:35 AM.

I worked out at lunch today instead of after work like I normally do. Thus, my workout was at Gold's Gym in Lexington, SC rather than my normal gym....Gold's at Harbison in Columbia.

I hade a fukin' kick ass workout....short and intense. In and out....that is the way I like it

I'm not going to take the time to list my warmup sets....but I always do a couple light warmups with my first exercise.

Thursday, July 25, 2002

Training

SHOULDERS:

Seated Dumbbell presses - 65 X 10, 70 X 7, 60 X 8 (failure)
    Superset
    Cybex side laterals - 8(pin setting) X 10, 8 X 10
    Dumbbell front raises - 25 X 8, 25 X 8

note: not sure how to list this but so not to confuse I just do a set of side laterals and move straight into front raises.

Seated Dumbbell rear laterals - 30 X 10, 30 X 10
    Smith Machine upright rows - 70 (plate lbs) X 10, 70 X 10

TRAPS
    Smith Machine Shrugs - 180 (plate lbs) x 10, 230 X 10, 270 X 8 (failure)

Nutrition

Meal 1 @ 6:30 a.m.: Ultramet Choc. shake, 1 serving oatmeal
    Meal 2 @ 8:45 a.m.: 3 eggs, 1 sausage patty, 2 slices ham
    Meal 3 @ 10:45 a.m.: can of tuna, 2 slices wheat bread
    Meal 4 @ 12:45 p.m.: 1 gatorade, 40 grams whey, banana
    Meal 5 @ 2:00 p.m.: chicken and rice casserole - from cafe at work
    Meal 6 @ 5:00 p.m.: EAS cookies n cream protein bar
    Meal 7 @ 8:00 p.m.: 1/2 pack Ultramet Choc. MRP, can of tuna
    Meal 8 @ 1:30 a.m.: EAS cookies n cream protein bar

2 Gallons water

General Notes

Workout was good. I have too much to do after work and want to go out tonight so I'm glad I could get the workout in during a rather long lunch hour

Today was the first time I have even tried shrugs using the Smith Machine. That was pretty cool....and I think I will rotate that into my routine every now and then.

For those wondering.......I don't do cardio so you will not find any mention of it in my journal. I realize since I want to compete next year eventually I will have to do it....but that can wait LOL!

I'm not happy with my post workout shake since I have no dextrose yet....so I drink a bottle of gatorade and threw a banana in the shake. That will have to suffice.

Note to self: Try hard to limit the amount of beers you drink tonight you alcoholic And try even harder to meet a hot 25 year old chick with no kids.

Peace out.:
    Last edited by BennettBoy; 07-26-2002 at 06:30 AM.

Good stuff Bennett. How are the supersets working for your tris? Do you only do supersets for your arms? Recently I have decieded to do drop sets for some of my arm excercises and they have been awesome.
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

"Bah. You know I hate poor people."

Paul Stagg

Manveet, thanks for checking out my journal. I have only been working arms on a seperate day for about the past 2 months when I was told by some folks I needed to bring my forearms up some. So I basically did it to have more time to work forearms.

I think they are responding though......just last night, believe it or not, I had a friend who works out at the same gym where I do tell me he was jealous because my arms were looking way better than his now

I probably want do it to much longer though because working out 5 days a week is a little more than I like.

As for the supersets, I actually got that routine off of www.bodybuilding.com. It was written by a young guy who competes named Layne Norton. And yes, I like doing my arms that way because I go right from a tricep movement to a bicep movement. I try to the biggies (like skull crushers and barbell curls) together.

Peace.

Well, I had alot of fun last night going out on the town in Columbia.........but it fuked my sleep up once again. I only got 4.5 hours of sleep It was most definietly worth it though because I met a cute lady and got a phone number. I'll follow up with that later today hehehe.

Oh well, I will get 8 hours tonight regardless as my parents are coming to visit me tomorrow to take me out for a one week late Birthday lunch.

Anybody want a little bio information: I have lived in Columbia, SC for 20 years now so this is where I call home. I'm from the upstate part of South Carolina and graduated from Clemson University in 1982. (check my avatar out LOL). I still faithfully go to every home football game. There is nothing more fun than going back to my alma mater to watch football with 80,000 fans. Damn I can't wait for August 31 when it all begins.

I do computer support related work here in Columbia. When I first got into it I loved it....but I think I just endure now. Since bodybuilding I really lost interest in my desire to keep up with all the changing technology and that isn't good in a field like this. But, it's a job for now.

I'm currently getting ready to be divorced in 2 weeks....August 8th to be exact I was married for 3 years but it just didn't work out. So now.....I'm a 42 year old living and acting like I'm 25 again and having the time of my life. But really I'm an

OK, back to training......today will be back day. I really hope I can get in a great workout on 4.5 hours of sleep. Tonight I am going to add deadlifts back into my routine and do them first. I really need to pack on some more size onto my back...and lats specifically. So I think I am going to start doing my pullups with like 25 pounds hanging on me as well. I will do those 2nd and try to get 30 good reps no matter how many sets it takes. It will most likely take 4....maybe 5. Might do some V-bar grip pulldowns too! And then I will do one other rowing type movement. Can't wait to get at it.

Peace out.
    Last edited by BennettBoy; 07-26-2002 at 06:58 AM.

i think those deadlifts will spur forearm growth more then anything else, to be honest.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

I could use that too....and maybe it will also help my traps

hee hee..definitely your traps...but actually i was just talking with someone about this the other day, (as he was borrowing my straps, and expressing surprise about it), we were talking about how pull exercises, especially the heavy ones, really seem to bring out forearms, and he was of the opinion that wrist curls will do nothing but give you repetive stress disorder. i've never done curls, but i can attest to deadlifts and what they do to my forearms.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

Crap, I'm going to pig out today....I can already feel it. I had like 4 scrambled eggs, 2 slices of bacon and grits already and I am going to eat Chinese buffet for lunch. I love Chinese buffets LOL

When I go eat Chinese buffet...I go to this really ace place that has a spread you can't believe. They have crab meat, salmon, baked fish, and tons of brocolli and chicken stuff. I only eat one plate though....don't want to overdo ittuttut And I don't have to feel too bad because I NEVER get any of the stuff that is fried (but the rice of course). I bet I pack in 75 grams of protein too! Dang I'm ready for lunch

Plus, looking at diet entries I am beginning to fear I am relying too much on protein bars and protein shakes......need more REAL food

BennetBoy:

Wow nice journal man! Havnt had a chance to read it until now. Some very imrpessive lifts and I like the way your journal is layed out, all nice and neat. Keep it up man.

I am beginning to fear I am relying too much on protein bars and protein shakes......need more REAL food
    Real food is much better.
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

"Bah. You know I hate poor people."

Paul Stagg

Friday, July 26, 2002

Training

BACK:
    Deadlifts - 135 X 10 (warmup), 225 X 8, 315 X 5, 315 X 5
    Pullups - 30 reps.....took 4 sets
    Cybex T-Bar - 90 X 10, 135 X 8, 135 X 8, 160 X 7
    V-Grip Pulldowns - 12 (pin setting) X 8, 12 X 8, 12 X 6
    Nautilus Pullovers - 10 (pin setting) X 7, 10 X 7

Nutrition

Meal 1 @ 6:45 a.m.: Ultramet Choc. Shake, banana, 1 TBS PB
    Meal 2 @ 8:45 a.m.: 4 eggs, 2 slices bacon, 1 cup cooked grits
    Meal 3 @ 11:45 a.m.: Chinese buffet (salmon, crab meat, crab salad, 8 boiled shrimp, chicken, brocolli, carrots, rice)
    Meal 4 @ 3:00 p.m.: EAS cookies n cream protein bar
    Meal 5 @ 5:30 p.m.: 40 grams whey, 1 gatorade
    Meal 6 @ 7:15 p.m.: 6 oz. grilled chicken breast
    Meal 7 @ 9:00 p.m.: Ultramet Choc. Shake
    Meal 8 @ 2:30 a.m.: 2 chicken sandwiches

Water - approx. 2 gallons

General Notes

Had a good, quick back workout. Did deadlifts today for the first time in a couple months and was surprised how hard 315 felt to me I just hope that doing deadlifts on Friday will give my lower back enough time to recuperate for squats on Tuesday. I really want to do both for a while, but in the past I have seen where one or the other will suffer because my lower back takes a beating. We'll see.

I also wanted to do weighted pullups...but I couldn't find the phukin' belt. Not sure it mattered that much anyway. I just want to try to get my lats widened some.

Well, that's about it for today. I'm sure I will go out tonight for a couple beers, but it will be an early night for me as Friday's go. My parents are coming to Columbia tomorrow to visit and I also need to get 8 good hours of sleep to make up for my lack of sleep the past 2 nights.

I'll update my other meals for today later.

Peace out.
    Last edited by BennettBoy; 07-27-2002 at 08:48 AM.

BACK:
    Deadlifts - 135 X 10 (warmup), 225 X 8, 315 X 5, 315 X 5
    Pullups - 30 reps.....took 4 sets
    Cybex T-Bar - 90 X 10, 135 X 8, 135 X 8, 160 X 7
    V-Grip Pulldowns - 12 (pin setting) X 8, 12 X 8, 12 X 6
    Nautilus Pullovers - 10 (pin setting) X 7, 10 X 7
    Why so much volume man? Just curious. This comes out to something like 16 total work sets for your lats. I guess thats not TOO bad I usually dont go over 6-8 but thats just me. Is this working out well for you? I used to do my pullups in the same fashion as you. Set a number like 50 and keep doing sets until I got to 50.

I just want to try to get my lats widened some.
    Hey man were in the same boat I want to blow up my lats big time. Made them as wide as hell.
    Last edited by MonStar; 07-27-2002 at 08:57 AM.

Originally posted by MonStar

Why so much volume man? Just curious. This comes out to something like 16 total work sets for your lats.
    I don't really look at the T-Bars and Deadlifts as being lat exercises, but either way.....I am beginning to wonder if maybe my lat growth isn't being slowed by too much volume too. It isn't that my lats aren't OK.....I guess they are just behind. I never do pullovers so that was just a test. I didn't feel **** from that so it will be gone like quick LOL! I don't like the machine either.

You make a great point though and I may have to totally rethink my back day. I do like higher volume and my body responds to that.

Sorry, but I just have to say it.......PHUCK HIT

I tried HIT for months believing it was THE WAY. I got absolutely nowhere with that. I did 2 full body routines a week and very low volume. It sucked.

Haha nah man f*ck HIT I tried that too it isnt for everybody. I didnt get anywhere from it at all. I am just doing a high-intensity lower volume approach now. My current back routine is:

WG Underhand Chins 3 sets 4/6/8 reps
    One-arm DB Rows 3 sets 4/6/8 reps

Works really well for me actually. Hoping to get +135 for 4 on chins and 165 for 4 on DB rows by 2003, wish me luck!

Oh boy.....my lower back is sore as hell this morning. I got 7 hours of sleep so I came up 1 hour short of what I wanted. Later this afternoon I am going to try to take a 2 hour nap.

Going out drinking might be fun....but it messes up my growth plans I got hungry last night at 2:30 and had 2 chicken sandwiches. I do not believe the chicken was grilled either

Oh well.....I ate large yesterday. Today I will have a good steak dinner with my parents so that will be sweet!

No training for me today or Sunday. I usually rest both weekend days unless I am totally bored or behind on my workouts.

I will post my diet later.......I going to lay back down for a few minutes

Peace.

Originally posted by MonStar
    Works really well for me actually. Hoping to get +135 for 4 on chins and 165 for 4 on DB rows by 2003, wish me luck!
    Good luck

And WOW...my gym only has DB's that go up to 125....I think. Since I don't use any that high.....I'm not quite sure