The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Okay guys, I am in some desperate need here. I cannot get past 120 lbs x 8 in the gym. This is totally ****ed. And it is pathetic. I should be stronger than this. I WORK MY ASS OFF AND I CAN GET NOWHERE!

This is very, very frustrating. I have tried it all. Going to DBs, coming back to barbell. Nothing. My dad suggested I not tuck my thumb underneath the bar and instead support it on the lower portion of my hand, while forcing my wrists back.

I don't know. I am just about ready to give up, thin out... and be a toner-boy. I just can't do this anymore. I try my heart out, but I am not getting anywhere. I am not growing in my chest to any significant degree. Nor is my strength improving. I need HELP.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Do not do what your dad told you. This will put tremendous pressure on your wrists and could lead to injury. What does the rest of your routine look like, especially for all your push muscles?
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

Chest day looks like this, all sets heavy to failure:

Flat Bench - 3 sets
    Incline DB - 3 sets
    Crossovers - 3 sets

Ok, take some deep breaths and give this a try. First, drop the incline dumbell and the crossovers. Second, do 2 sets to failure on the bench and follow that with 2 sets of weighted dips to failure (shoot for about 10 reps on the weighted dips and try to add 5 lbs every session while matching reps). That is all. No more. Then, relax, suck down a shake, and watch your bench go up, up, and away.

This is what worked pretty well for me once when I was stuck at a plateau. Do 2 bench press workouts each week, 3 or 4 days apart. On the first day do 5 sets of 5, all with the same weight. Pick a weight that is heavy enough so that you can get all 5 reps by yourself only on the first set or 2. (Obviously you'll need a spotter.) The second workout is the same, except go up on the weight and do 5 sets of 2. Don't do any other chest work such as flies, dips, or incline or decline presses. Try this for 6 weeks or so and you should see some progress, assuming you're diet's good and you're getting enough sleep.
    Good luck!

Taras

Kaboom.. ??
    I too had Bench that was not progressing or anything..
    What really worked for me was going into Dumbbell Flat and Barbell Incline..
    I could only do 120 also, like a month ago, and then i switched to dumbbell flat bench and Incline Barbell bench for like a month. Now i can flat barbbell bench 135 no problem.

Work ur Triceps .. not like cable push downs,, do narrow grip bench press, or Skull crusher.. etc..
    those will help also.
    How far would you go?
    Just Watch me...

-Pierre Trudeau [ FLQ crisis ]

Kaboom.. ??
    oh yeah and drop cross over and do dips
    How far would you go?
    Just Watch me...

-Pierre Trudeau [ FLQ crisis ]

Wow. 4 sets of chest.

That seems like enough to get me warmed up.

Yaz.... Take Chris's advice...

OK everyone knows my bench is not very good but I am progressing well and have done very well in the last 6 or 8 weeks,...

I used to do 3 exercises with 2-3 sets on each, normally 3... like you 9 sets in total.. Did I progress? No ....

When I cut it down to 5-6 my bench shot up..

Also my training split changing had a lot to do with it I think.. I know train all push muscles on the same day so they get a full 7 days recovery...

What is your split ?

I found switching to incline bench press helped me a lot, I haven't flat benched in two months but my incline is now the same weight as my flat was.
    half the time I have no idea what you're talking about. the other half, I'm not listening.

Day 1 - Chest/Shoulders Tris
    Day 2 - Cardio/Abs
    Day 3 - Back/Biceps
    Day 4 - Cardio
    Day 5 - Legs
    Day 6 - Optional Cardio & Abs/Rest
    Day 7 - Rest

AAHHHHHHH, maybe thats your problem....maybe youre doing too much for your shoulders and triceps, you dont need much if you trian them after chest, remember they are worked alot during bench.
    Maybe youre overtraining your shoulders and triceps?
    Anyways, try what Chris Said.
    Eat Tuna!
    "Ya don't touch my tuna, I don't kill you."- by Tuna Master
    "Part of getting what you want is knowing what you have to give up." - by who knows. ME? Eat Tuna!
    My Journal - My FitDay -

how many times do you train bench? I made my best gains on bench [many years ago] 2 days a week doing a routine from Anthony Ditillo that looked like this:

day 1- work upto singles, do 5-7 singles at around 90-95%, add weight when 7 can be done. Drop weight and rep out around 10-12 reps, 1 shy of failure.

day 2 - 3 sets of 5-7.

drop the crossover crap

how many of you have dips in your regimen? i totally forgot about them until chris mentioned them. what do they mostly work? similar to decline bench?

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Dips are considered, by some, to be the squat of the upperbody. They work many muscles, but primarily hit the chest, triceps and anterior(front) delts.They are a very good and tough exercise. I am thinking about throwing them back in my routine. If you get strong on them, strap on a plate or 2 with a weight belt and really hit em hard.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

If you're worried more about your 1RM in the bench, as opposed to just getting a larger chest, which your message implied, then you need to concentrate more on the pressing movements themselves, and the individual muscles that aid in the pressing movements.

Everyone else is correct regarding crossovers-- crossovers don't build a big bench, nor do flyes.

The keys a high 1RM in any movement are neural efficiency and explosive strength; muscular hypertrophy is less important in this case.

A program *based* on Westside training would be very beneficial, but I'm not about to recommend that beast to anyone with <2 years of training.

Basically, you need to have two BP days per week; one should involve lighter weights, lower reps, and higher volume, and be oriented around increasing the bar speed-- you can take Westside's approach of 8-10 sets of 3 with 50-60% of your 1RM, or even something like 5-6 sets of 5 with as high as 75%; I'd alternate between both, just from my experience.

The second day, 72 hours later, should deal with heavier weights; again, you could take Westside's approach of warming up with triples and doing singles to a 1RM, but this is very taxing and does require changing of the exercise every 2-4 weeks. Another approach for this day is to do a 3x3, three triples at the same or slightly increasing weight. Or use wave loading (the approach behind Charles Poliquin's 1-6 method, though any combination of light-heavy sets can work), or cluster training, or increasing pyraminds. Do repeated effort (a few sets of 12-15 to failure) every third workout; the main idea is to keep the weights heavy for the majority of the second workouts done weekly, but no matter what, apply heavy stress to the pressing muscles.

After you've done your main exercise for each day, concentrate primarily on the assistors, and secondarily on the antagonists. For the bench, the assistors are the anterior head of the deltoids, and the triceps. The antagonists are the lats and the biceps. Grip work is also handy, as is rotator cuff work; both become almost necessary as the weights climb.

I tend to follow suit with Westside regarding the order of their assistance work; as such, do triceps first, then the front delts, then lats, then biceps, then whatever is left.

For the triceps, you want to try to keep dumbell extensions in the 5 rep range, barbell extensions in the 10-12 range, and any tricep presses, such as close-grip bench or JM presses, to triples. Alternate exercises every session if possible to prevent staleness. Westside recommends a very high volume for tricep work; I don't. I'd say to do no more than 10-15 working sets a week for the triceps, spread across both days. It may sound excessive from the bodybuilding viewpoint, but if you cycle the weights right, it works.

For the front delt, concentrate on varieties of front raises; occasionally throw in some laterals. With all the pressing work, Westside doesn't recommend overhead presses; I use them, but that's me, and my shoulders. Do so at your own risk.

As far as lats and biceps are concerned, that's pretty much your choice; some personal preferences of mine have been hammer curls, as they target the brachialis, brachioradialis and the long head of the bicep at the same time, so its a bit more efficient. A good rowing movement is good for the purposes of developing the lats for the BP. Honestly speaking though, I've always done weighted pullups for my lat work.

You don't have to do all the assistors and antagonists at every workout; Dave Tate recommends doing 4, 5 exercises max per workout. The main thing to focus on is to make sure that nothing starts lagging; and regardless of the total set volume per week, the tris and delts both need to be hit twice. Lower the total set volume per workout if it becomes too much, but do them.

Finally, this is a very tough program to do. Also, you may or may not notice any additional growth; if you've been on a low-volume program for a long period of time, you may notice some swell if you do this. I always notice a bit of growth when I start, but it quickly levels off. However, this isn't designed to make you grow; its designed to give you a freakin' huge BP number. And that it will do. You'll almost certainly have to cut back on the lower body stress as well, and expect an increase in appetite (though it won't be nearly as bad as if you were doing the Westside SQ/DL work with it).

Power

That's my exact chest work out, Chris.

2 sets flat bench
    2 sets weighted dips

I think it's great.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Bigger fewl
    Chris's routine is great!

But if you get bored of it or don't wana do it or somethin try this:
    5x4-6 flat bb bench press
    Load the barbell up with your max weight that you can only do for one rep. After that rep, go down again. Push it up as far as you can, then get your spotter to help you. Do 3 or 4 other forced reps, make sure that you are pushing AS HARD AS YOU POSSIBLY CAN the whole time. Your spotter should be doing the minimum of the work. I can guarrantee you soreness like you've never felt before, along with great strength and size gains in time. Try it!
    Squat...Eat...Sleep...Grow!

Carpe diem

Milk.... it does the body good.