The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

3 Time World Champion

just the facts....

Based on what you know works for you, give me some advice.
    I am wanting to cut my BF in the quickest manner, without losing any LBM.....( don't we all) Anyways , I am doing a push/leg/pull split. I am not doing any cardio on off days, in fear of doing too much that my body stays catabolic......I eat 6 meals a day about 40/40/20 or there about, eating around 2200-2500 calories a day. My bodyweight is 215 but I know I need to drop around 20 lbs of fat....I estimate my bf to be around 20% or so.........so Should I start cardio, how much, how often......
    Last edited by Sledgehammer; 07-26-2002 at 07:13 AM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

260(-62) from 193 from 275
    if you don't do cardio longer then 40mins(non-weight days)

and have a protein shake right after I think your safe

the other thing I want to add

re-gaining muscle is 10x faster then earning it

don't be afraid to lose a pound or two of lean mass in the process of losing 20 lbs

the same rationale applies to gaining a few lbs of fat to gain several lbs of muscle

The Fitness Industry is a 1 billion dollar industry.
    --Dairy Queens Blizzard pulls in 3/4 of a billion.
    --------------We are the elite.------------

Originally posted by Holto
    re-gaining muscle is 10x faster then earning it
    Is that true?

layin up against a dumpster in a 100 dollar jumper, smothered in southern comfort.
    I dunno about 10x, but yes, there is something called 'muscle memory'

My opinion, go for a brisk 1 hour walk after dinner but avoid high intensity cardio.

If you lose less than 1 lb every two weeks, cut out a couple hundred more calories per day.

If you lose more than 1.5 lbs a week, you may want to add some more calories as this may be somewhat catabolic.

Good luck, it IS doable, just be patient and don't worry about daily fluctuations in measurement. Sometimes you think you've plateaued but you really haven't.
    If the only thing you are holding is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

Fat burning heart rate is about 60-65% or resting. Hemants makes a good point about brisk walks.
    You are not your job.
    You are not how much you have in the bank.
    You are not the contents of your wallet.
    You are not your ****ing Khakis.
    You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake.
    You are the all-singing, all-dancing crap of the world."
    ~Tyler Durden~ Fight Club

See my WBB #1 Journal and pictures of my progress Here

Manage your carb intake (lower 'em) . . . You may be surprised at the results.

I lost 25 lbs. in 16 weeks, only 6 was muscle, based upon measurements prior to and after.

I incrementally lowered calories taking the majority from carb. sources. (maintained 1g/1lb protein)

And, yes, I did cardio, but I always have and always will, regardless of my goal. (leaning-out or bulking-up)

My new gaining diet is 50% fat (swapped normally recommended fat/carb. ratios) and I've very pleased with the results thus far.

Hope this helps.

Yea, that'd be great. Flyersfan's Avatar
    Originally posted by Raven Blade
    Fat burning heart rate is about 60-65% or resting. Hemants makes a good point about brisk walks.

I've seen that figure quoted a few times - it's even on the treadmills and bikes at my gym. I'm just wondering where that information came from. Why, for example, isn't working at 80-85% max heart rate also burning fat? You'd think it'd increase since your body needs more of the energy that burning fat provides.

Might be a newbie type question, but I've been wondering about it for weeks.

260(-62) from 193 from 275
    Originally posted by Flyersfan

Why, for example, isn't working at 80-85% max heart rate also burning fat? You'd think it'd increase since your body needs more of the energy that burning fat provides.

Might be a newbie type question, but I've been wondering about it for weeks.
    your body is using all three macronutrients for fuel at all time the matter is how much of each

when your at 80-85 you are using more muscle and liver glycogen to keep up with energy requirements

doing high intensity cardio burns more calories in the hours that follow and is also effective

as for my comment about regaining muscle

I lost 10lbs in about 6 days of being really sick and regained it all in about a week of eating ton's of protein and resting

Holto - You lost 10 lbs in 6 days? You must have been really sick. Also barely any of that 10lbs would be muscle because thats too much weight to have lost so quickly. The vast majority of it was water weight which explains why you regained it so quickly. The same logic applies to how rapidly you lose weight at the start of any new diet, it's mostly water. Muscle memory does exist and you regain lost size faster than you initially gained it, but 10x is an arbitrary number and utterly false. As for gaining fat I'd be more worried about that than losing muscle because adiopocytes deplete in size, but not in number, while you diet. So if you are fat, you can always get fat again.