The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Never Satisfied.

bent over barbell rows.. how much weight?

I have a question about bent over barbell rows. I think my form may not be perfect, and therefore I am using too much weight. I am about 5'11, 175lbs, and I row 115 for 10, then 120 for about 8. Does this sound like a lot of weight for this exercise for someone my size or does it sound about average? I am asking because I never really feel like i'm doing these right. Like I never feel it anywhere except my lats, and never really in the mid or upper part of my back. Sometimes I think that if I used less weight, I could row it up nice and hard and really squeeze every part of my back. I dunno, its hard to explain.

When I do them it's not like i am standing up too high and doing upright rows with them, and it's not like i'm doing some weird looking row deadlift type motion. I seem to be doing them right, but I don't seem to be doing them right. Ok that makes no sense, but like i said, it's hard to explain.

If anyone can figure out what the hell I just said and has any type of reply, please.. feel free.
    Last edited by intensity; 07-27-2002 at 04:06 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Is your back big?
    "As far as drugs were concerned, all my bodybuilding heroes were on everything but roller skates."

In Memphis, it is illegal for a woman to drive by herself, unless a man is walking or running infront of the vehicle, waving a red flag in order to warn approaching pedestrians and motorists.

Back at it
    I know what you're talking about because I experienced the same thing. Try bringing the weight as close to your legs as possible like in a deadlift if arn't already. That made me feel it quite a big more on the inner parts of my lower/mid lats. Also think of your arms as hooks and try not to use your biceps... that was a mistake I was doing when first doing them.

Seems to me like that is quite a bit of weight because I'm roughly the same size as you... but everybody has different strength levels and I don't consider myself as being very naturally strong.

Wannabebig Member
    120lbs is not a large Barbell Row. Sorry.

wolverine you are not taking his size into consideration,

personally i prefer bent-over dumbbell rows because i can achieve greater from and intensity, off the end of a bench, so i couldnt really compare me to you although we are relatively the same size.
    The only limits are the one's you place on yourself...

Gen_chat worst nightmare
    Originally posted by Rabid Wolverine
    120lbs is not a large Barbell Row. Sorry.
    I agree, unless you also weight 120 pounds ....

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    A big row is relative. Everyone has a different level of strength. Try doing them lighter and see if you notice a difference. Focus on contraction of the back muscles.

Back at it
    I said 120 might be a little heavy because it's so easy to cheat when doing barbell rows. I'm sure I can do that amount of weight now, but I had to drop it down to like 90-100 in order to get my form down correctly.

I am a bit taller than you and weigh a bit less. I do about the same amount. I don't think that 120 is a lot especially if you are doing 8 reps and have good form. Just a thought, I'm a relative newcomer to BB'ing.
    Man, if he do but live within the light of high endeavors, daily spreads abroad his being armed with strength that cannot fail.

--Wordsworth

Back at it
    Yeah, 120 isn't a lot, but the original post by intensity said that he didn't think it felt right or that he was doing it correctly, and whenever that happens to me usually it's because I'm going to heavy and need to drop the weight down to focus on form.

Originally posted by GIS
    Yeah, 120 isn't a lot, but the original post by intensity said that he didn't think it felt right or that he was doing it correctly, and whenever that happens to me usually it's because I'm going to heavy and need to drop the weight down to focus on form.
    good point. going down in weight to focus on form couldn't hurt. it may be that barbell row is one of his weaker excercises as well. i do 120 fine but barbell row is also one of my stronger excercises.
    Man, if he do but live within the light of high endeavors, daily spreads abroad his being armed with strength that cannot fail.

--Wordsworth

I would say it's to much weight at all. Maybe you should work on your form first with lighter weight.
    Milk is the best Supplement

Well my friends think I'm ugly
    I got a masculine face - Tom Waits.