Thread: How much do pushups help?

How much do pushups help?

I currently try to do about 100 pushups first thing every morning and 100 more before bed (4sets, 25). I also do as many as possible immediately following my lift.

Am i overworking myself? Or is this something I should continue?

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

for growth, pushups are not ideal. for muscular endurance, they can be beneficial.
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

"Bah. You know I hate poor people."

Paul Stagg

I mainly do them as a way to add to my daily routine. I'm not doing them in place of anything else.

My lifting goal for the end of 2003 is to bench 300. It's a lofty goal for me, as I currently max at 205.

Will the pushups help me to reach this goal? Or am I wasting time?

the only time i sometimes do pushups is at the end of chest day to sort of "burn-out"

other then that, i let my body rest instead of push-ups everynight.
    "Eat until it hurts dammit! Then eat more. Youll get used to it. I think its like sex for a chick. Sure it hurts the first time, but after a couple rides it just goes in like a glove." -clvmike19

"... chicks are like smarties. They're different colors but each share the same deliciousness. Its just a matter of deciding if you'll save the red ones for last or eat a bunch of different ones in the same handful." -wibble

it's most likely a waste of time, doing 100 situps wouldn't get you raviolli abs either.

an easier way to get there = eat, train your ENTIRE body hard, rest, squat heavy, eat some more. 95 lbs. is kind of a hard goal to surpass in 6 months, especially if you're not a beginner, if you are, you might be able to get there
    My profile picture is about 5 years old, I'll get around to taking some progress pics eventually.

Yeah, I've already been sold on the abs routine as BS bit. My abs are very strong.

I don't skimp on anything when I'm training. I try to hit all of my muscle groups regularly.

How often should I be resting? I tend to just take a day off when my body tells me to.

I doubt doing that many pushups is going to move your bench.

Benching and finding your weak points and improving them will increase your bench.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Originally posted by drew
    I don't skimp on anything when I'm training. I try to hit all of my muscle groups regularly.
    You said in the other thread you don't worry about leg training much. I may have misinterpreted that though.
    Last edited by NateDogg; 05-30-2003 at 10:30 AM.
    "damn...can't beat logic like that.
    NAte is exactly right." - Tryska

Right, I don't do much leg training since I run a lot.

What would you suggest for leg training, and how often?

I would suggest doing anything you can do for legs without hurting your shoulder. Leg presses, which you are already doing it sounds like, are great, deadlifts are great (all varieties, straight leg, conventional, sumo, etc).

Believe me, you are not working your legs in a manner that will cause much growth (in fact will cause muscle fibers to reduce in size to allow for more efficient oxidation) when you are running.
    "damn...can't beat logic like that.
    NAte is exactly right." - Tryska

OK, thanks. I'll try to concentrate on legs tonight. Have to give the chest and arms a rest anyway.

Wannabebig Member
    Originally posted by drew
    Right, I don't do much leg training since I run a lot.

What would you suggest for leg training, and how often?
    SQUAT AND MORE SQUATS!
    SLDL's, more squats, leg curls, squats, lunges, squats, seated/standing calf raises, squats. train legs once a week like every other body part

OK, so I did just legs tonight. Did 5 sets of squats. 10 reps each, increasing weight. Started low, since I haven't done squats in a long time. Maxed at 325 before the soulder started hurting. But my back and legs can definitely take more, I just need to be careful.

Did leg press same way, 5 sets 10 reps. Started at 400 and increased weight. Maxed at 650. Again, I felt good doing the 650 and feel I can quickly increase weights.

Also did leg curls and extensions.

Can you give me a proper technique for lunges? Never done them before. And what are SLDL's?

I feel nice and jelly-legged. Feels good.

Thanks. I'll be sure to work both in to my next leg workout.

Never done lunges before. Is that really how far forward people step when doing them? (2nd video)

Wannabebig Member
    Originally posted by Delphi
    Never done lunges before. Is that really how far forward people step when doing them? (2nd video)
    well yea, you want to go as deep as posible

I'd drop the pushups all together, seriously. If you want to make large gains in bench press, drop to about 6 reps per set, so that you need the spotter to help ONLY on the 6th. Make sure you are training you triceps heavy also.

Then, once you have trained like that for a while, you have a variety of options - you can bench in the power rack with the supports on the sides equal to the height of your chest and press the weight, bring it down and let it rest on the bars for a 2 count, then press again, repeat. That will develop explosive bench strength. You can do rest pause sets where you pick a weight that you can only rep about 3 times, then rack it for about 15 seconds, do another rep, then repeat that for a total of about 8 reps. Finally, you can add chains to the sides of the barbell when benching so that it is heavier at the top and lighter at the bottom, this will eliminate the sticking point of a rep.

Hope that stuff helps, again, ditch the pushups! Those are for skinny fitness guys.

are you maxing every workout? because that's not that great of an idea...
    My profile picture is about 5 years old, I'll get around to taking some progress pics eventually.

Under Construction
    If you want to do pushups do plyo or slide type and include them in your chest routine.
    Just one guy's opinion.

Thanks Steve, I have dropped them altogether. I mainly do dips for my triceps. What else can I do for them?

And no, I don't max every workout. Maybe once a week.

you should try maxing only once a month(at most) unless you are going into the powerlifting route

for triceps:

close grip bench press
    lying tricep extensions(skullcrushers, Freedom presses )
    and I do kickbacks, could someone tell me what is so bad about them? my form is pretty damn near perfect, and I have no momentum(I extend arm back straight, hold for 1 sec, lower weight slowly back to starting position)

OK, I'll do that then. Thanks.