Thread: How to get my resting heartrate down?

Wannabebig Member

How to get my resting heartrate down?

Hi there,

My resting heartrate is about 70/min. My cardio consists of running intervals twice a week, and going for a long jog once a week.

I've been running steadily about eight weeks now, and I haven't seen my resting heartrate move at all. Am I too impatient, or should I rearrange my cardio?

Thanks in advance!

why do you want your resting heart rate down? to begin with. Cardio will create a larger heart cavities therefore, less beats shall be required to transport the blood, but weight training can have the same effect, but creating more power and thicker cavity walls.
    The only limits are the one's you place on yourself...

Aerobic exercise will get your heart rate down.

What happens is your heart muscle adapts and is able to pump more volume during your aerobic workouts. As a result, it becomes more efficient and is able to "feed" blood to the resting body with fewer beats.
    Last edited by hemants; 07-29-2002 at 07:38 AM.
    If the only thing you are holding is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

Wannabebig Member
    Originally posted by hemants
    Aerobic exercise will get your heart rate down.

I'm aware of that. And, as I mentioned above, I'm doing aerobic exercise three times a week, in the form of running.

My question is more specific: should I change my current cardio routine in order to improve cardiovascular performance (as opposed to the other things I could be training for, like sprinting speed or long-distance endurance), or stick with the routine I have?

And how long should I expect to train before I see cardiovascular improvement in the form of a lower resting heart rate?

Thanks again.

Tryska do you know of any herbals with Beta-blocker-like effects?

How high are you getting your heart rate

during your cardio? You should be working at 70-80% of your max heart rate if your goal is improved cardiovascular condition.
    If you are running hard and getting your heart rate up in that range don't worry your resting heart rate will come down. It just takes a while.