The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Running builds calves?

I started running bout a month ago but my calves have grown more I am assuming its the running right? Cause I dont train my calves other wise.
    WHEN LIFE ****S YOU IN THE ASS, YOU GOTTA JUST TURN IT AROUND AND **** IT RIGHT BACK!!!!!! - ME

I am a fatass thank you very much! LOL

Bodylicious Babe

My max bench is @110 x 8

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Interesting...I've actually been wondering the same thing. I have a problem getting my calves to grow. Anyone have an answer to her question? If it's true, I just may have one more reason to do the dreaded cardio.

Or it just could be me an my fucked up body. I build muscle SO EASY...just hard to loose the damn body fat
    WHEN LIFE ****S YOU IN THE ASS, YOU GOTTA JUST TURN IT AROUND AND **** IT RIGHT BACK!!!!!! - ME

I am a fatass thank you very much! LOL

Bodylicious Babe

My max bench is @110 x 8

Of course it will make them grow if you haven't worked them out before. But I wouldn't rely only on running for calf strength, maybe endurance though.
    Last edited by syntekz; 07-29-2002 at 02:34 PM.

So, if you've just done a leg workout, you wouldn't run if you were able? Like maybe an half hour later or something like that?

Mr.Irish
    I have been lifting hard w/ my calves for like a month and then this last sunday I did a 4 mile run for the first time in like forever?? and the next morning I couldnt hardly walk my calves hurt so badly... Explanations?

Originally posted by jagleaso
    I have been lifting hard w/ my calves for like a month and then this last sunday I did a 4 mile run for the first time in like forever?? and the next morning I couldnt hardly walk my calves hurt so badly... Explanations?
    Your calves have been trained in a single (resistance training) dimension.

Life is 3 dimensional, hence your pain when trying to run. (an imput your muscles were not accustomed to)

Nothing like a good run, swim, climb, etc. to let you know how truly 1 dimensional resistance training is.

If you train like an athlete, your body will perform like one.

(don't forget to stretch daily)

Originally posted by Celestial
    Or it just could be me an my fucked up body. I build muscle SO EASY...just hard to loose the damn body fat
    So, you're an endomorphic type of person . . . Get your diet in order and show off your EASILY built muscle.

Could definitely be the running. My Dad runs A LOT, like 25-30 miles a week, and his calves are awesome. He does not do any direct calf work that I know of, and overall, he has a runners build.
    "damn...can't beat logic like that.
    NAte is exactly right." - Tryska

Want to know what builds calves? Pushing grocery carts. I worked at an IGA Grocery store while I was in high school and it was in a mall. I had to push very long trains of carts from one end of the mall to the other. I didn't realize I had big calves until I got a cramp in one and some friendly honey decided to massage it out for me. She was like "you have huge calves". I was like "I do? I guess that explains the problem with my jeans fitting over them" (note: in the 80s jeans were tight all the way down). Then when I started at the gym at 17 people were right off the bat "What do you do for your calves". I told them "Go push carts at IGA".
    You are not your job.
    You are not how much you have in the bank.
    You are not the contents of your wallet.
    You are not your ****ing Khakis.
    You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake.
    You are the all-singing, all-dancing crap of the world."
    ~Tyler Durden~ Fight Club

See my WBB #1 Journal and pictures of my progress Here

Climax of Intellect WillyTheGreat's Avatar
    Obviously running builds calves.

I've done mostly running sports (soccer, basketball, baseball) in my youth and my calves show it. It would be so cool if it were as easy to build muscle on the upper body (ya, ya...swimming, but not everyone has a pool).