The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Need help with lower back stretches

My lower back has always been a problem area for me. I pull those muscles very easily, even while doing routine things like bending over to pick something up or tying my shoes. In fact, my lower back muscles pull so easily that i've strained them twice in the last month (i've pulled them twice in the same month once before as well, while not even weight training).

I'm hoping that someone out there has some really good stretches and/or warmups for the lower back. As i said, this has always been a problem area for me but now it's severely affecting my days in the gym. I do all the "generic" back stretches like holding onto the vertical beam of the squat rack and bending at the knees (hard one to describe). I do a stretch that looks like i'm praying to mecca (on my knees, chest pressed against my thighs), and another where i lay in the shape of a T and then pull my right knee towards my left hand and vice-versa. I've also started to do back bridging as well in hopes that it will loosen up my lower vertebrae and keep my muscles limber.

These seem to be the staple stretches for the lower back but, apparently, they are not enough since i continue to have problems. Does anyone out there have any other really, REALLY good stretches that i can try? Perhaps some suggestions on books or a yoga-type routine? Has anyone tried Combat Stretching by Matt Furey? I really need to solve this problem before i'll be able to squat to my full potential.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Anyone....? Anyone....? Bueller?
    teh ownz joo all 4 free! if joo don't like it, you is teh GHEY!
    -Voodazz

Hey man,

I had a sh*tty lower back about a year ago. Now I do Deadlifts and SLDLs and I have never had a problem with my back since. A good stretch is to grab a fence or something and stick your butt out and lean back. So your upperbody is parallel to the ground and you are pulling on the fence.

The stretch you describe is the first back stretch i do before doing squats and SLDLs. I tried to describe it above, but apparently didn't do a very good job. I don't deadlift, but i definitely do SLDLs. In fact, last time i hurt my back (last friday) was during SLDLs. The time before was during squats. I believe that i have good form, my muscles just tend to strain/pull really easily.
    teh ownz joo all 4 free! if joo don't like it, you is teh GHEY!
    -Voodazz

Use lighter weights and build your way up.