Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kaizen

Kaizen

Kaizen is a Japanese word meaning gradual, orderly, continuous improvement. Kaizen is applicable to personal life, home life, social life, working life, etc.

Kaizen is a culture of sustained continuous progress, focusing on eliminating waste, increasing organization, and streamlining the path to a goal.

There are two elements that construct Kaizen:
    1. improvement/change for the better
    2. ongoing/continuity

Lacking one of those elements would not be considered Kaizen. For instance, the expression of "business as usual" contains the element of continuity without improvement. On the other hand, the expression of "breakthrough" contains the element of change or improvement without continuity. Kaizen should contain both elements.

There are 25 weeks left until my 18th birthday on February 15, 2003. This journal will record the progress I make as I approach the entrance to new responsibilities, challenges, and opportunities.

175 Days of Kaizen.

Let the journey begin...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Then on leg day do squats, lunges, stiff legged deadlifts, fluffernutters, and calf raises."--Belial, training a newbie

PowermanDL on Russian culture: "Big furry hats come into play somewhere."

"The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly; it is dearness only that gives everything its value. I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress and grow brave by reflection. 'Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death." --Thomas Paine

Energizer Bunnie

Re: Kaizen

Originally posted by Jane
    Kaizen is a culture of sustained continuous progress, focusing on eliminating waste, increasing organization, and streamlining the path to a goal.
    Great Intro Jane, really looking forward to reading your progress .

Cheers,

Francesca
    "Happiness is not an accident. Nor is it something you wish for. Happiness is something you design." Jim Rohn

A Work In Progress....II

DailyDiet

hey JANE!
    Our Journal!
    R.I.P Devie

Love the intro! Very dramatic

I loved the intro, Jane, I look forward to follow you progress
    Edgar V.

So you don't wanna get big, do you?

----------------------------------------

"If your arm measurement is currently 13 inches, you are worrying about the wrong things. Quit comparing to others, quit worrying about little details, get your ass in the gym, work as hard as you can, then go eat something. Repeat until huge." - Paul Stagg

"There is no miracle "look good" diet/pill other than determination and commitment" - geoffgarcia

"Freaking lift to get bigger, or stronger, or better at your damn sport, and quit worrying about weather or not your arm is 16 inches or 16.2 inches." - Paul Stagg

"If you want to look like Brad Pitt go run a marathon or something." - Severed Ties

This ain't culture 101! Put up some weights!
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

lol or you could have picked a term we understood like "continual improvement". But I guess foreign titles sound cooler. And your intro almost brought tears to my eyes.
    "They will spend their nights dreaming of six-pack
    abs and a rock hard physique, little do they realize eventually we will reach
    our goal and they will be dreaming of the body we walk around with every
    day…only then will they understand." -- Severed Ties

"There are 6 billion people in this world, and I'm #1." -- me

August 23, 2002

Day 1 of 175

Nutrition
    B: Kashi cereal and skim milk
    L: 3 meat-filled crepes
    D: salad with grilled chicken and light italian dressing

Total: 1405
    Fat: 55g---36%
    Carbs: 132g---32%
    Fiber: 23g
    Protein: 108g---32%

Exercise
    None today.

Comments
    Nutrition: I would prefer to have the majority of my calories come from protein, and will increase the precentage tommorow.

Exercise: I'm going to continue with my three day split for lifting. I will also reintroduce a little regular cardio.

Life: No time for sarcastic commentary today. Sorry, cack.

On Life's Challenges:
    In Italy for thirty years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, bloodshed — but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love, 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock.
    "Then on leg day do squats, lunges, stiff legged deadlifts, fluffernutters, and calf raises."--Belial, training a newbie

"The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly; it is dearness only that gives everything its value. I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress and grow brave by reflection. 'Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death." --Thomas Paine

You should have used Tao. Much more appropriate.

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

I disagree, Dl. If Tao=Taoism, and Christ=Christian, would it have been appropriate for me to name my journal Christ? Or Buddha? Or anything else that is connected to something ultimately greater than ourselves?

The analogy's not the same. The Tao can't be compared to a deity, an avatar, or any similar concept.

Tao is more a state of mind and force of change as it is anything else.

It's not a deity, no. But I still wouldn't be comfortable adopting part of the name of a religion for a journal title.

I agree with Belial.

Speaking of which, I think it's time to see a workout in here.

Right Jane? Right?
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

I don't think Jane even lifts any more. She just wanted to start a philosophical debate.

Re: August 23, 2002

[
    On Life's Challenges:
    In Italy for thirty years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, bloodshed — but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love, 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock.
    I've seen this before. Don't remember where. Maybe on the side of a cereal box. Actually, this has the distinct ring of fascism to it. Sounds like something Hitler or Mussolini might have said.

Anyways, whoever said this was obviously not well acquainted with Switzerland. Brotherly love? The German Swiss hate the French Swiss, the French Swiss hate the Italian Swiss, and on and on. They just hate the Germans more.

Oh, and they have mines planted on every one of their bridges in case of invasion, and they've hollowed out the Alps and built mini-cities in case of nuclear armageddon. Weird people.

We tend to think of Sisyphus as a tragic hero, condemned by the gods to shoulder his rock sweatily up the mountain, and again up the mountain, forever. The truth is that Sisyphus is in love with the rock. He cherishes every roughness and every ounce of it. He talks to it, sings to it. It has become the mysterious Other. He even dreams of it as he sleepwalks upward. Life is unimaginable without it, looming always above him like a huge gray moon. He doesn’t realize that at any moment he is permitted to step aside, let the rock hurtle to the bottom, and go home.

Parables and Portraits, Stephen Mitchell

Day 4 of 175

Back/Biceps
    ***Note: This is only my 2nd back workout after returning from the 5 week Governor's School experience. I'm still getting back to my old weights.

Assisted Pullup: 1x9@85, 1x5.5@95, 1x4.5@95, 1x6.5@85
    Up five pounds on each set, plus an extra set. I think I should be resting longer, however.

Bent-over Row: 2x6@30
    Still working back up to what I had...

Lat Pulldown 1x4.5@70, 1x6@60
    REALLY should have rested longer before doing these. I was pretty drained.

Seated Row: 1x12@50, 1x10@50
    Ah-HA! I took a couple walking laps to rest, and shattered last week's seated row reps. Never touching 50 again.

Weighted Back Extension: 1x8@35, 1x8@45, 1x6@45
    As much as I hate back extensions, it feels pretty nice to heave that 45 pound plate up there and press it to my chest for reps.

Bicep Curl: As many reps as I could squeeze out.

***Note: I got a new training journal. It's just the right size. Green and black, with a really nifty texture and a super cool clasp. I feel like a million bucks.

Shut up.

All in all, an ok workout. I was expecting to shatter all my numbers though. And the DB rows stagnated instead. Pfft.

Nutrition
    Now that school is starting, how does this look as a daily meal plan?

M1: 1.5 cup Basic 4 cereal, 1.5 cup skim milk (405 calories, 5g fat, 76g carbs, 19g protein)

M2: .5 cup eggbeaters, 1 extra large egg, .33 cup fatfree cheese, .5tsp olive oil (155 calories, 6g fat, 3g carbs, 21g protein)

M3: 6oz chicken breast, mixed greens, 2 tbsp ketchup (350 calories, 12g fat, 8g carbs, 49g protein)

M4: 4 cups greens, 1 medium tomato, 10 slices cucumber, 4tsbp light dressing, 5oz tuna (325 calories, 12g fat, 12g carbs, 39g protein)

Total: 1325
    Fat: 37g--26%
    Sat: 8g--5%
    Poly: 6g--4%
    Mono: 10g-- 7%
    Carbs: 113g--31%
    Fiber: 13g
    Protein: 138g--43%

I've had good results with keeping my fat intake medium-high, because it supresses hunger during long days. For this reason I am looking into lowering carbs on non-lifting days.

Comments
    Went to Six Flags with Kimpy yesterday. People watched, walked excessive amounts, and perfected about 5 different styles of screaming. Very fun.

Tommorow, I wake up early to help the community. I hope the community benefits greatly from my girlfriends' card games.

Now my mother is standing over my shoulder insisting on a college scholarship search. Never mind that most of the results require me to be born in Alaska between the years of 1977 and 1979, have the last name of Peabottom, and major in agricultural sciences at an accredited US college or university.

Goal For Tommorow
    Treat my sister like a human being, and ignore the fact that she is an anxiety-ridden worrywart with a mouth the size of a genetically engineered watermelon.
    Last edited by Jane; 08-26-2002 at 09:04 PM.

Treat my sister like a human being, and ignore the fact that she is an anxiety-ridden worrywart with a mouth the size of a genetically engineered watermelon.

They make watermelons with mouths now?

[B***Note: I got a new training journal. It's just the right size. Green and black, with a really nifty texture and a super cool clasp. I feel like a million bucks.
    [/B]
    Mine's a ratty, sweat-soaked notebook, with half the pages falling out, no back cover, and in which I've used the front of every page, and am now working my way back to the front from the back using the backs of the pages.

We tend to think of Sisyphus as a tragic hero, condemned by the gods to shoulder his rock sweatily up the mountain, and again up the mountain, forever. The truth is that Sisyphus is in love with the rock. He cherishes every roughness and every ounce of it. He talks to it, sings to it. It has become the mysterious Other. He even dreams of it as he sleepwalks upward. Life is unimaginable without it, looming always above him like a huge gray moon. He doesn’t realize that at any moment he is permitted to step aside, let the rock hurtle to the bottom, and go home.

Parables and Portraits, Stephen Mitchell

Originally posted by Blood&Iron

Mine's a ratty, sweat-soaked notebook, with half the pages falling out, no back cover, and in which I've used the front of every page, and am now working my way back to the front from the back using the backs of the pages.
    Add some blood and you've got my notebook(just noticed it the other day I was like wtf?). I'm working on the back of the pages now too. lmao.

Dang, why so many carbs in the morning?
    "In the grand scheme of things, both things are quite superficial(obsessed with being muscular&ripped and incredibly strong). And yet lifting can teach you so much. My time at the gym--at least when I'm lifting--is invariably the high-point of my day. There aren't any questions; I almost don't even think. I go into an almost meditative trance-like state. Day-to-day worries become insignificant. I'm focused solely on the weight, and my reason for existence is clear. To move the bar and to improve on what I accomplished last time. Seldom are things so simple." - Blood&Iron

"Most people cannot understand what burns in our blood, the gym is our addiction and iron is our drug. People don't understand why we commit hours a day to a goal where progress is so small it seems immeasurable, why we do cardio instead of watch TV, why eat 6 meals a day, why we insist on ordering diet soda or how we can drink skim milk. Most people will simply never grasp why we refuse to settle for a mediocre body." - Severed Ties

bone crusher
    actually the morning and post workout are the most ideal times for carb consumption

I love your intro here, Jane. Beautifully written.

Good luck with this new journal and diet!

layin up against a dumpster in a 100 dollar jumper, smothered in southern comfort.
    beautiful mind you've got jane...hope no one ever exploits it

Comments
    ... People watched...
    Not much exercise in that, but a great activity anyway. BTW, nice journal.
    Last edited by rookiebldr; 08-27-2002 at 09:22 PM.

Me /pwn1ng by Xian Rookie's journal Rookie's Picture Thread

Damn right you will be! We don't mess around down here. Liquor and Steel, that's what we're all about -Casey

ROFL, oh man - I usually wait until I'm on the freeway to do that. What an idiot! -teufy doing what he does best.

You aren't strong enough or pretty enough to train in the evenings with us...better stick to noon workouts with the rest of the geriatrics. - pup

Yeah. I'm a dork. - Teufy

Better yet, "why should anyone's interpretation of divinity govern modern society?" - Twilo

Originally posted by Blood&Iron

Respect! *hits chest*

Accipiter, JSG, rookiebldr: Thanks so much! You have no idea how underestimated the effects of your positive comments are. I really appreciate it.

doc: well, what can I say? What's up? I say we gang up on B if he acts up in my journal.

Marcel: Hey man, the carb thing I am trying to figure out. Give me a couple of days to post something final and then hopefully you can critique it for me.

B&I, Matt: Good to see you here. Both your constructive criticism and witticism is welcome.

Franjipani, Kimpy, Avatar, galileo, EdgarMex: I hope you won't hesistate to offer your opinions, because I am very interested in anything you might ever have to say.