Thread: DB bench press VS. BB bench press

DB bench press VS. BB bench press

I increased my DB bench press weights, but for some reason my BB bench press is not getting any better... any ideas why? what should be the rate between DB\BB press, if I DB press the 55's how much should I be able to BB press?

Thanks in advance.
    Stats
    5'10,185-190lbs, 12-16%bf

It's different, in my opinion, because the lift with dumbbells is not as restricted. When using a BB, your hands and arms are more or less attached, and even though it's free weights, I think your right and left arm still help each other in pressing the weight. I do both exercises. Yesterday, on flat BB presses I did, 225lbs x 10, 305lbs x 3, 305lbs x 3 and 275lbs x 6. Then I did incline BB press and went on the flat DB presses. I just used the 100lb DBs and went to failure for 3 sets, which ended up being 8 reps on each set.

Black_Curtain, if you are doing better with DB presses, don't sweat it bro. I did flat BB presses for chest for 2 years and never moved beyond 225 for reps. And my chest still looked like sh$t. For the past year I have just stuck more with DB's for my flat presses and my chest is looking better than ever.

I realize BB presses are a great mass movement. I'm still not sold they build the best chest for bodybuilders. Too many people (and I was in this mix bigtime) allow too much of their delts to come into play and just don't end up building a well defined chest.

Just stick with what is working for you.
    peace-

Craig

Thank you both for your advices. I will stick with the DB for now, I was just interested to know if there are people here like me who are having trouble with BB BP.
    I will be happy if someone who lifts as much as I do (like one set of 10 reps with the 55s if I'm fresh) - so I can compare my BB BP with him.
    Stats

The advantage I see of using a BB for presses is that most people, when using DBs won't go out as wide as they should when they press. With a BB, you set the width of your grip before you start the press and it stays there. A wider grip means wider pecs.

Some people just aren't good BB benchers. The lifts are similar, but they put the emphasis of the lift on different muscles. If your bench lags, you could have weak front delts, a weak chest, or weak tris. Where in the lift are you having problems, off the chest, through the press, or at lockout?

Tir na nOc Pursuer Borgod Maxximus's Avatar
    BB press CAN be really bad on the shoulders... my left shoulder clicks like mad when I BB press but DB press it feels so much more natural and doesnt put any strain on my shoulders at all
    "In the pool of dreams, the water darkens for the soul thats tired of search"

Varg Vikernes

layin up against a dumpster in a 100 dollar jumper, smothered in southern comfort.
    I think if you squeeze your shoulder blades together it forces the chest more into the movement, but yeah. I switched to db presses a year ago. I've tailed off recently with gains, so I'm going back to bb for a while.

Borgod has a good point. My left shoulder also hurts when I do BB presses. Especially inclines.

If I'm having problems with getting the bar off my chest, what is my weak point? shoulders?
    Stats

Originally posted by Shamik
    The advantage I see of using a BB for presses is that most people, when using DBs won't go out as wide as they should when they press. With a BB, you set the width of your grip before you start the press and it stays there. A wider grip means wider pecs.
    I agree with that point having just switched back to BB for the first time in about 12 months - a different sort of stress in the chest that seems to be due to the wider grip.

Originally posted by Shamik
    I agree with that point having just switched back to BB for the first time in about 12 months - a different sort of stress in the chest that seems to be due to the wider grip.

another point may be that a BB generally allows for more weight than DBs do