Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Complete Keys to Progress by John McCallum

The Complete Keys to Progress by John McCallum

Does anyone know where I can pick this book up in the uk without having to wait a long time?

its not on amazon.co.uk and the .com suggests it will be 4 weeks
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? My Training Journal

Ironmind.com

I can't imagine they would be any faster, though.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

bone crusher
    is it a good read?

Great.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

It's an awesome read! I'd put it at the top of my list for BB'ing books I've read so far.

I ordered mine at www.davedraper.com. It shipped the same day I ordered it. I've always had fast delivery with them (although, I do live in the US).

How does Keys To Progress compare to Super Squats, and Beyond Brawn? Better, worse, same?

I have Beyond Brawn. I got half way through it and just got tired of reading it. Good book yes....I just don't subscribe to all the HIT stuff. I've heard Keys is better.
    peace-

Craig

Originally posted by MonStar
    How does Keys To Progress compare to Super Squats, and Beyond Brawn? Better, worse, same?
    McCallum is a better writer than Strossen or McRoberts. He mixes training philosophy with entertaining stories (much like Kelso). Much of the info you find in Super Squats you'll also find in KTP as well. But KTP is a bigger book and includes a lot more info and training routines.

I'm not a big fan of McRobert's Beyond Brawn. He is too overcautious about injury and overtraining for me. Beyond Brawn is a worthwhile read, with lots of good info, but I found myself disagreeing with McRoberts several times while reading it. Plus, BB was so friggin dry, it was tough to read, and he tends to keep repeating himself.

I still think KTP is a better book all around. It's a little dated in some places but the training info is solid, IMO. Second on my list would be Kelso's Powerlifting Basics, Texas Style. It's written in the same manner as KTP (stories with training philosophy mixed in) and is also a good read. My only complaint with Kelso's book is that it's too short.

My $0.02

So Super Squats and KTP would be 2 excellent buys? Or just KTP?

Super Squats = squat + milk = squatmilk.

So Super Squats and KTP would be 2 excellent buys? Or just KTP?
    MonStar,
    I'd pass on Super Squats for now and just get KTP. I can sum up Super Squats for you in one paragraph:

Do a full body workout 2 - 3 times a week. Do one set of 20 rep squats every workout. Follow the squats with a light set of pullovers. Add 5 - 10 lbs. to the squats each and every workout. Eat alot and drink 1 gallon of milk a day.

That's basically it. Strossen fills the rest of the book with motivational stuff, why you should do 20 rep squats, and a history of squats. The history stuff is pretty interesting if you are into that stuff.

Oh, and I see Galileo reads the Garage Gym forums.

Oh okay thanks guys, Ill just go ahead with Keys To Progress, and thats all. Thanks for summing up Super Squats, I had no idea what it was about.

Ace.

I'd agree.

Get KTP first. Super squats is just a variation of a routine in KTP:

Squat 1x10
    Pullover 1x20
    OH press 1x10

Repeat 3x a week.

If you want to buy something from mcRobert, get the insiders guide.

KTP is just a fun read.
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Oh okay. I did see the Insiders Guide. I am going to just go with KTP instead - and see what I think of that. Searched a little bit Paul and you said a few places to not pay as much attention to the actual routines just pay more attention to the messages, etc., correct?

I think that I read somewhere that you said not to pay attention to the rib cage expansion stuff, etc.

Yup.

The rib cage expansion stuff is pretty much bunk, and PHA isn't a magical fat loss routine.
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

My copy of Supertraining is collecting dust under my bed.
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

"Bah. You know I hate poor people."

Paul Stagg

Jack's Utter Surprise Saturday Fever's Avatar
    Funny thing about Supertraining. I've never read the whole book cover to cover. Instead I always just reference parts of it whenever I'm looking for answers.

Keys To Progress is a fantastic read, extremely entertaining and informative. I think some of the routines are a little high in volume but nevertheless it reinforces the need to work HARD.

Yea KTP is very entertaining and has some good info too. Now I got to figure out where I put it so i can finish it lol.
    I'm in shape. ROUND is a shape

Fighting isn't fun... It's just fun to watch

"The hardest part is getting started" -me

if ur from uk,try waterstones.they sell everything
    Last edited by DelveyBoy; 09-20-2002 at 02:36 PM.
    Started Lifting Again!
    Msn Messenger: delveyboy@hotmail.com
    Im always pissed off and have occasional peaceful spells - By MrWebb78
    Nothing says masculin like a dump on the floor - by Intensity

Yup, great book.
    "In the grand scheme of things, both things are quite superficial(obsessed with being muscular&ripped and incredibly strong). And yet lifting can teach you so much. My time at the gym--at least when I'm lifting--is invariably the high-point of my day. There aren't any questions; I almost don't even think. I go into an almost meditative trance-like state. Day-to-day worries become insignificant. I'm focused solely on the weight, and my reason for existence is clear. To move the bar and to improve on what I accomplished last time. Seldom are things so simple." - Blood&Iron

"Most people cannot understand what burns in our blood, the gym is our addiction and iron is our drug. People don't understand why we commit hours a day to a goal where progress is so small it seems immeasurable, why we do cardio instead of watch TV, why eat 6 meals a day, why we insist on ordering diet soda or how we can drink skim milk. Most people will simply never grasp why we refuse to settle for a mediocre body." - Severed Ties

My take on these books:

KTP- very entertaining reading. The volume of the routines would probably lead to overtraining in lots of folks. I've gotten ideas from some of the routines and decreased the number of sets.

SS- king of the 20-rep squat routine. It's famous for saying to take whatever weight you can do 10 reps with, then do 20 with that weight, and add 5 or 10 lbs to that EACH workout, three times a week. I tried it, and I couldn't recover fast enough. And that's without doing 3 sets of all the other exercises in each workout. Embedded deep in the book it says to start the squats out with a "moderate" weight and work your way up. Makes more sense that way.

BB- excellent book but pretty dogmatic, kinda like the boards for HIT jedi's. If you can get past that part of it, it's a good book. You can buy it with The Insider's Guide and get a discount. IG is a very good instruction manual with lots of pics for all the major exercises, except the ones that Stuart doesn't think you should be doing.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Originally posted by Delphi

My take on these books:

SS- king of the 20-rep squat routine. It's famous for saying to take whatever weight you can do 10 reps with, then do 20 with that weight, and add 5 or 10 lbs to that EACH workout, three times a week. I tried it, and I couldn't recover fast enough. And that's without doing 3 sets of all the other exercises in each workout. Embedded deep in the book it says to start the squats out with a "moderate" weight and work your way up. Makes more sense that way.

How are you supposed to do twenty reps with a weight you can only do ten with? Do you rest at the top with the weight on your traps? Adding 5-10 pounds each workout sounds like a sure-fire way to injure oneself, or overtrain. The only way I could see someone prospering on that, would require the person to have excellent genetics and be on gear. Adding 5-10 pounds per workout 3 times a week, means that even starting at a moderate weight, you would be at your 10 rep max within a couple or so of months. I don't think that would be NEARLY enough time for your average natural trainer. I tried something very similar to that a few years back and rapidly became severely overtrained.
    Oh and Mr. Stagg, as for the rib cage expansion info, I think it depends on the person. Some people have expanded their rib cage doing certain exercises. I am one of them. I put three inches onto my rib cage (not my lats) doing heavy pullovers with squats. However this was quite some time ago when I was younger. I would appreciate any studies you could show me, saying this is impossible, because I have a surprise for those authors.

I put three inches onto my rib cage (not my lats) doing heavy pullovers with squats. However this was quite some time ago when I was younger. I would appreciate any studies you could show me, saying this is impossible, because I have a surprise for those authors.
    Are you sure that it wasnt your pecs or lats?