The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Proper Shrug Technique

Is it better to take shrugs straight up and back down or to roll the shoulder back and then up? Do you hold the shrug for any length of time?

Thnx.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Straight up, hold for 2 secs and down.

Any ideas on other good trap exercises?

What about upright rows? That's what I've been doing for traps. My traps are genetically big, though.

260(-62) from 193 from 275
    rolling your shoulders back will recruit the middlle and lower traps more

the purpose of the upper trap is to raise the shoulder blade
    the middle trap pulls them back
    the lower trap rotates the scapulae (internally?)

personally I think rotating and holding at the top are both on the verge of dangerous

The Fitness Industry is a 1 billion dollar industry.
    --Dairy Queens Blizzard pulls in 3/4 of a billion.
    --------------We are the elite.------------

Holto,

So you suggest just an up and down in one continuous motion?

260(-62) from 193 from 275
    Originally posted by therhoads
    Holto,

So you suggest just an up and down in one continuous motion?
    yes

Originally posted by Shamik
    What about upright rows?
    I've read recently that these are really hard on your shoulder joints. I did them for years though. Nothing like good ol' heavy BB and DB shrugs though IMHO.
    You are not your job.
    You are not how much you have in the bank.
    You are not the contents of your wallet.
    You are not your ****ing Khakis.
    You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake.
    You are the all-singing, all-dancing crap of the world."
    ~Tyler Durden~ Fight Club

See my WBB #1 Journal and pictures of my progress Here

I agree on the rows... I use to do them a lot but they always hurt my shoulders.

I seem to have good success with my shrugs but I was not sure how to perform them correctly. I currently alternate between rolling the shoulders forward and an up and down motion. I had considered doing the up and hold as well.

The biggest reason I do db shrugs as opposed to bb shrugs is that with a barbell, you are practically forced to rotate your shoulders back since the bar is in front of you, and I've disliked this both because of the potential for injury, and the fact that it takes the stress off your upper traps (the most visible part of the muscle). With db's held at your sides, you can concentrate fully on bringing your shoulders up and in, which will provide direct stimulus to the upper traps.

I do usually hold the final rep of each set in a peak contraction for a count of five - if you can squeeze and hold at the top of every rep in a set, you can probably go heavier and get better results.

Originally posted by JeTDoG
    The biggest reason I do db shrugs as opposed to bb shrugs is that with a barbell, you are practically forced to rotate your shoulders back since the bar is in front of you, and I've disliked this both because of the potential for injury, and the fact that it takes the stress off your upper traps (the most visible part of the muscle). With db's held at your sides, you can concentrate fully on bringing your shoulders up and in, which will provide direct stimulus to the upper traps.

I do usually hold the final rep of each set in a peak contraction for a count of five - if you can squeeze and hold at the top of every rep in a set, you can probably go heavier and get better results.
    not true champ, try leaning forward a little - about 20 degrees.
    Works so much better than straight up and down IMO

I've also heard that pulling the shoulders back at the top of the shrug is bad for the rotators. If that's true, then why aren't cable rows bad as well? It's the same motion. How about "posterior flyes" leaning forward, for lack of a better term for the exercise?

Here is a great variation on the shrug that I've used in the past. Utilizing the Smith rack, the bar should be at groin level, and you should stand in front of the bar, facing away from it. Reach down behind you and grab the bar, unlatching it. You need to slide your feet a little bit underneath it at this point, and then shrug straight up. Works great.

Yeah, I'm not sure either how that would be bad for the RC. Usually rotator cuff injuries come about from the humerous being taken into extreme positios. Probably just rotator cuff paranoia, though I could be wrong.

I would agree that leaning forward a bit is very effective in hitting the middle and upper traps. However, I would say that the very best way method is to use a lever machine if you have access to one. I didn't think I did until I saw someone doing shrugs on a hammer strengh bench machine. So then I tried it for myself and it's definately a step up from a bar or db's. It's got the handles out by the sides, so I don't have to drag the weight up and down the sides of my legs.

Originally posted by Shocker

...try leaning forward a little ...
    yes, with a barbell, a slight forward lean should enhance the ability to pull the shoulders more-or-less straight up, but this, IMO, is where the potential for injury comes into play, especially with heavier weights...

one of the best apparatus I've seen, not sure what it's called, is a barbell bar that actually has the bar shaped in such a way (with afew 90-degree bends in it) that you step "into" it, so the weight is actually inline with the axis of your body, it seems to resolve the whole debate between dumbbell and barbell... anyone else ever seen one of these, if my description hasn't totally confused you?
    "pain is temporary... The Game is forever..."

I'm not the one who's so far away when I feel the snake bite enter my veins.

Never did wanna be here again and I don't remember why I came.

Its called a trap-bar shrug.

Dumbells. Seated. Seriously.
    "When you have to kill a man, it costs nothing to be polite."

- Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Why do you do them seated?
    just curious.
    Squat - 505
    Bench - 325
    Deadlift - 550
    Total - 1380@175

I definetly like seated db shrugs the best (although I don't do them anymore because I outgrew my gym's db set). Seated helps isolate the traps a bit more than when you do them standing, because whether you know it or not, your legs tend to cheat a little (although, with very good for this can be somewhat minimized).
    Obstacles are what you see when you take your mind off the goal.
    -Unknown

Energy and persistence conquer all things.
    -Benjamin Franklin

FREAK IN THA' MAKING!!! duque21's Avatar

What I do for traps

I have huge traps, well for my size, I would say there one of my best attributes.

This is an exercise I read about some where, I am not sure where ..but I have been incorporating it into my routine and I have to give it all the credit to the size of my traps.

It is a variation of a shrug, I must cation you it can be dangerous if you are not carfule and do not have a strong lower back.

1.- You take DB's and get into your normal shrug postion

2.- Once you standing straight, take your shoulders and drop them in towards your chest

3.- once your shoulders are dropped kinda hunch over so that the weight pulls your shoulders down

4.- now that your shuolders are all the way dropped shrug them towards your ears.

This movement will help develop the upper part of the trap and help create a degree of heigth on your trap, making it grow up your neck
    Last edited by duque21; 09-23-2002 at 01:52 PM.

ive always just done standing bb shrugs in the rack.... continuous motion up and down

Re: What I do for traps

Originally posted by duque21
    I have huge traps, well for my size, I would say there one of my best attributes.

This is an exercise I read about some where, I am not sure where ..but I have been incorporating it into my routine and I have to give it all the credit to the size of my traps.

It is a variation of a shrug, I must cation you it can be dangerous if you are not carfule and do not have a strong lower back.

1.- You take DB's and get into your normal shrug postion

2.- Once you standing straight, take your shoulders and drop them in towards your chest

3.- once your shoulders are dropped kinda hunch over so that the weight pulls your shoulders down

4.- now that your shuolders are all the way dropped shrug them towards your ears.

This movement will help develop the upper part of the trap and help create a degree of heigth on your trap, making it grow up your neck
    Bro you sure have some unusual techniques for training.

FREAK IN THA' MAKING!!! duque21's Avatar
    Yeah, I know it is, but i suggest you try it, you'll feel it pull from the very top of the trap. Its a great way to get a real good ROM