The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

It's CUTTING time! Need advice...

Okay, I hesistate to use that traditional term because I'm one of the few who believe and know that you can burn fat and build muscle at the same time, you don't have to specifically focus on one or the other...but...

Let's say I'm focusing harder on fat loss at the moment, for the next 30 days or so.

The only supplement I'll be using is protein. No ECA's or fat burners of any kind. I'm going to see just how good my progress can be without ephedrine.

Basically, what are some good pointers to cutting into the remaining fat I have and finally achieving the long awaited six pack?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Beware of Attack Ferrets
    Best way imo would be to go 40/40/20 with caloric intake a tad over your bmr and do HIIT cardio in the morning before you eat anything. Works for me.

I dont think it's too hard to gain lean mass and lose fat, it's just the bulking/cutting cycle is faster to pack on the muscle.
    Last edited by FuriousFerret; 07-31-2002 at 06:41 PM.

Would it be okay to down a whey shake in the morning before I take off to workout? That way I won't be using lean muscle mass for energy at any point...

Beware of Attack Ferrets
    well, the key to morning cardio is to burn calories on an empty stomach, with no food to burn off, so it takes the fat stores instead. This will also up your metabolism for the rest of the day. I would drink it afterwards

Cardio in the morning on an empty stomach works great! I just take in 5 grams of glutamine before I go and do brisk walking just incase any muscle loss may occur. Taking glutamine, ECA, or even a strong cup of coffee before heading out will be pretty good to save onto muscle. Here's a pretty good article: http://www.athleticnutrition.com/Article87.shtml.
    No Pain, No Gain!

"Love changes, and best friends become strangers" - NaS

Grasshoppa
    I dunno about everyone else, but I tend to cramp up like crazy if I eat or drink too much water right before a run.
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

Originally posted by FuriousFerret
    well, the key to morning cardio is to burn calories on an empty stomach, with no food to burn off, so it takes the fat stores instead. This will also up your metabolism for the rest of the day. I would drink it afterwards
    I believe that cardio does not increase metabolism for more than a half hour (at the longest) after you are finished. Also, when you wake up in the morning, you are in a catabolic state, it is not a good time to put yourself further into a catabolic state by doing cardio. I would recommend throwing in 10-15 minutes cardio after your training sessions.

Just my $.02
    "damn...can't beat logic like that.
    NAte is exactly right." - Tryska

Originally posted by NateDogg
    I would recommend throwing in 10-15 minutes cardio after your training sessions.
    Aren't you in a catabolic state after a strength training session as well?
    No Pain, No Gain!

Originally posted by gregnb

Aren't you in a catabolic state after a strength training session as well?
    Honestly, I am not sure, but at least you will most likely have eaten within the last 8 hours. Someone please jump in on this one?

I think the article that can be found at http://www.athleticnutrition.com/Article87.shtml makes a good point ->

"All aerobic exercise will have some effect on building muscle, but as long as you don’t overdo it, you shouldn’t worry about losing muscle. It's a fact that muscle proteins are broken down and used for energy during aerobic exercise. But you are constantly breaking down and rebuilding muscle tissue anyway. This process is called "protein turnover" and it’s a daily fact of life."

I think as long as you keep your protein intake high throughout the day it'll even out. Like you said though nate, anyone else got their take on this?
    No Pain, No Gain!

I complete cardio weekly, first thing in the morning, after not consuming anything for 6 - 7 hours.

Additionally, the last meal (before slumber) is relatively low carb.

I load with 200mg of caffeine prior to the exercise & the session lasts 2 - 3 hours, involving moderately paced running & climbing relatively steep mountains via service roads & trails.

Additionally, I don't eat anything for an hour afterwards.

To-date I've had no adverse effects.
    Best Regards,

I agree with Nate, surely if you get up in a morning after ave 8hrs of ne food, you will be in a catabolic state, i think you should consume something, because eating will increase the metabolism, whereas if your without nutrients then the body will ration the fat, as a safety barrier.
    The only limits are the one's you place on yourself...

Originally posted by Big-Ron
    I agree with Nate, surely if you get up in a morning after ave 8hrs of ne food, you will be in a catabolic state, i think you should consume something, because eating will increase the metabolism, whereas if your without nutrients then the body will ration the fat, as a safety barrier.
    Well according to that article, Eating raises insulin, which makes fat burning more difficult.
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee

To sum up that article.

Do your cardio in the morning if you want to, it may burn a higher % of calories from fat.

Eat some protein before you do it, which will help prevent the body using muscle for energy, but will not cause insulin to spike as much.