Thread: BW Excercise or weight lifting for a 15 year old beginner?

Wannabebig Member

BW Excercise or weight lifting for a 15 year old beginner?

Ok I am oly 15 and have been talking to some people. Some have told me to go straight into weight lifting but others told me to start with Bw excercises.

Ok now I NEED your advice. What should I do?

As a 15 year old beginner who has just recently became athlethic and active and never really did weigh lifting or bw excercises what should I do?

Wight lifting or BW excercies?

I would love to see some muscle mass on me. [Right Now I have like NO chest muscle, My Legs are fine, My Biceps need some work.]

So what should I start with? [Of course I will do Weight lifting someitme down the road if i start wih BW excercies.]

..... Oh yea, If I do BW excercises what would they give me? Some say you dont really put on muscle mass from BW excercises.

If Anyone cares I can only do like around 15 Push-ups untill I begin to get tired.

Wannabebig Member
    I think you should start liftin.

Second Place = First Loser
    I am 17. I think you should start lifting, but don't quit if you don't see massive gains or anything. Start lifting, get good form, posture, etc. down and then you can really go at it. Check out some of the routines here or post a routine you want to use and we can tell you if its good. Other than that, Hit the Gym and lift!

My advice would be to work with dumbbells because they build better coordination than the body weight exercises such as push-ups. Also, you can't do some of the very important motions such as the overhead press and rows without db's. Stick to the higher reps and I would suggest not going to failure until you're sure about your form. Do the compound lifts and try to learn to use all the muscles involved. Try to develop flexability. At your age, weight training is more for improving your body functionality (posture, etc). In a year or so you can worry about packing on the size.

I'd start with weight lifting. I started at your age (I'm 16 now) and progressed alot from there, with no injuries (so far).
    Stats
    5'10,185-190lbs, 12-16%bf

Banned
    when i was 16. i did push ups and sit ups for about 8 months before i started lifting... starting at like 5 sets of 10 push ups... i began doing 200-400 push ups a day... with no change in diet, i cut a lot of fat, and gained a good 50 pounds on my bench press... from 135 to 185 from doing push ups.... since then, ive learned that a proper diet is an essential part of any fitness buff(no pun intended) also, since then, i started lifting, and the muscle gains, and change in appearance goes a lot faster... BW exercises will help you grow, with the correct diet, and correct routine, weightlifting would probably be the most beneficial option

i am 15 and started lifting 8 months ago.I first started with basic excercises like curls,shoulder press,bench press and moved on gradually to do more complicated techniques such as deadlifts,skullcrushers and squats
    Started Lifting Again!
    Msn Messenger: delveyboy@hotmail.com
    Im always pissed off and have occasional peaceful spells - By MrWebb78
    Nothing says masculin like a dump on the floor - by Intensity