Thread: max on dips?

just wondering if anyone did Dips regularly and what they could rep out? I just started doing them a few workouts ago and did 24 today, controlled and a good range of motion. My workout partner is doing them too - a little friendly competition, which I'd reccomend. I fit them in after heavy shoulder press or incline.

I did 63 around 12 years ago (not quite natural at the time), but I think 24 is pretty good for an old guy. I'm aiming for 30, for now.

Why do so high reps on dips? Do you do that for benching too?
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

No sir... only on dips because they are a "bodyweight" exercise and I'm not interested in f'ing my shoulders at this stage in the game. I usually do 5-10 reps on barbell/dumbell pressing (I don't bench anymore, rotators are dead from years of it). I do think that a mix of heavy barbell and higher rep thing like dips works well for mass though.

Using bodyweight as a weight will only get you so big. Once you can do 8-12 easy you should be putting some weight round your waist.

But hey, if it works for you then don't fix it.
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

Geodie, I've been training for 19 years, I have a good idea what works I'm as big as I want to be now, just trying to increase endurance. I do think that working with bodyweight can be great conditioning for a beginner before moving into heavy weights, personally.

Cool. How big are you?

19 years is a long time - well done!

Where do you live?

living in Tenerife at the moment, could be worse

I'm around 200 at approx 10% bodyfat.

19 years is a long time to make mistakes unfortunately

Ace!

My mates are off to Tenerife in the summer. Las Americas i believe - the place with Veronica's strip. I hear there's some clubs down there....

Where were you born?And how have you ended up in Tenerife?!

Bigger fewl
    Impressive! At what age did you start?
    Squat...Eat...Sleep...Grow!

Carpe diem

Milk.... it does the body good.

I'll tell you if you max out on dips first....

I was born in England (Kent), basically retired now for all intents and purposes.

Since I live in a nice climate now I can't be a beer bellied bulk monster anymore!

13 I think...

If it makes any difference to ya, I once did 15 but i'v never tried to go higher. I can do 3 sets of 12 easy but i haven't got a dipping belt yet so i stopped doing them.I'm gonna buy one soon so i can start up again.

I lowered my rep range to 8 too so once i can do 8 reps with a particular weight i increase weight and drop reps, progressing each week till the next weight increase.

that sounds like a good idea. 8 reps is a good rep range for strength gains and mass. A friend of mine did them with 4 20kg plates for 3 reps (natural too, but a power lifter) so set your goals high.

Fuggin' Hell!