The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 103 of 145 FirstFirst ... 35393101102103104105113 ... LastLast
Results 2,551 to 2,575 of 3613
    Sunday 19th November - Cycle 3 Get Lean+Maintain Strength - Week 10 - Day 1 - Lower + Upper Strength - Micro cycle 10

I wasn't sure if I was gonna head to the gym, didn't feel the best. And it was supposed to be an upper body workout, but I wanted to squat, so I did. Wasn't even planning on training my upper body today, but decided after the squats to chuck em in so I can get a lot rest in before I train on Thursday, because I am definitely over-reached. It's not too bad as the weights didn't feel heavy today, but speed is well down, and off course my sore throat.

Looks like the last 2 weeks have been a concentrated loading of sorts, by accident, I'm just addicted to squatting - it hurts so good
    Long ass workout. Probably gonna feel like ***** tomorrow!
    Time for a deload.

Body weight at gym - 214lbs
    Workout time - 2.75 hours
    Workout rating - 7/10

General warm up -

20sec ISO holds - quarter squat, on toes, on heels (toes pulled up), hip back wide stance squat at parallel, on side of feet (for ankles), narrow full squat at bottom on toes

1) dynamic stretches and swings, rocking on side of ankle etc
    2) back extension BWx5 + 4 twisting to each alternate side
    3) sit up complex on swiss ball
    4) various hops
    6) bar complex with 30lbs - 5 reps each - slow hang clean pull onto toes, military press, explosive GM onto toes, snatch grip press, hang power clean, power jerks

Cleans

did these in between the warm up sets on squats - 2-3 mins rest between

In sneakers - Powerclean + 2 High Hang Power cleans - 89lbs, 124lbs, 154lbs
    in oly shoes - Powerclean + 2 High Hang Power cleans - 174lbs
    Powerclean x 2 - 15 sec reset between each rep - 194lbs, 214lbs

Had to dip quite a bit to rack the 174lb set, so definitely no speed today...yep over-reached..

Full Squats - high bar, medium stance - Oly Shoes - no Belt

warm ups - controlled - BWx8, Bar x 8, 95x8, 135x5, 185x5, 225x5
    in oly shoes - 275x3, 305x2, 335x2, 355x2

5+ mins rest
    Hold at middle on the way down, pause at bottom, driven up hard
    1) 335lbs x 3 (+20lbs -3 sets)
    2) 335lbs x 2 --> failed on 3rd rep just off the bottom

Thought I could up the weight to 335lbs and get 2 full sets like I wanted, even though I didn't get 5 full sets with 315lbs last time, but no go.
    The mid hold was a bit shakey and I just barely made the first set.
    I'm not quite fully recovered from the last workout anyway. Still I can't be all that badly over-reached since the squats didn't feel "heavy" on my back and 355lbs has never felt so controlled and comfortable. Smooth and upright. Definitely 20-30lbs stronger now, so 1RM should be at 405lbs at least. Oh so close to double BW!

Video of the 2 work sets - pause could have been longer on the 2nd set, I didn't do my usual count to 3 in my head.
    Right click on light and save to avoid errors
    http://www.members.optushome.com.au/...x2_16Nov06.mpg

------------------

Rotating Sets between each exercise
    1 min on warmups and 3 min on work sets between each exercise

16inch grip Bench - shoulders tucked, no arch or leg drive

Warm ups - hold at middle and inch off the bottom on the way down, powered up - Bar x 10, 95lbs x 3, 135x3, 185x3

Hold at middle, and an inch off the bottom on the way down, powered up.
    Rotation 1) 205lbs x 3
    Rotation 2) 205lbs x 3
    Rotation 3) 215lbs x 3
    Rotation 4) 225lbs x 3

Trying these ISO paused style like my squats. Wasn't sure what I could handle doing em like this, so started at 205lbs. Felt really hard, breathing was difficult too, but then it started to get easier. So I upped the weight later on, and even 225lbs wasn't quite maximal, but getting harder. Will use 225 for my work sets next time. Quite surprising as I can barely get 255lbs x 4 normally. Unless I've gotten stronger...
    I can do about 7-8 reps with 225lbs I think. So the holds pretty much halve the rep count. Massive pump!

Chest Supported T-Bar Rows - medium overhand grip

warm ups - Explosive - +70lbs x 5, +90x5, +115x4

Explosive
    Rotation 1) Bar + 135lbs x 4
    Rotation 2) Bar + 135lbs x 4
    Rotation 3) Bar + 135lbs x 4

Single Leg Standing leg Curl - hold at top, mid and bottom - 3 plates x 4, 5 plates x 4, 7 plates x 4 x 2 sets
    Last edited by Blitzforce; 11-19-2006 at 01:36 AM.

Monday 20th November

Sleep - 7 + 1 interrupted hours
    Waking Pulse - 65
    Mood - Slightly crappy, tired

Sleep not great. Feel a bit crappy, but not as bad as I expected. Slightly sore throat, running nose. Upper body a bit achey, but lower body is surprisingly not sore at all, just a worked feeling.

weighed 95.1kg 209.22lbs straight out of bed in underwear

Might go for a 12min walk and do some active recovery and easy stretching. I didn't do any yesterday after that long ass workout for obvious reasons

I looked back at my log and saw that I started doing these ISO paused squats on the 16th October. So in about a month of these I have added 30lbs onto my squat. With no change in bodyweight, and crappy sleep/diet. Not too shabby, average of 4-5lbs increase in strength each workout, plus I'm overreached too. ZMA is helping as well....?
    These are like newbie type gains
    I'd like to keep these gains going and hit 60lbs by the end of the year, so I'll be doing several sets of ISO paused squats with 355lbs. Putting my full squat at the 435-445lbs area. Then my goal of 495 isn't so far away....

Tuesday 21st November

Sleep - naps + 6.5 interrupted hours
    Waking Pulse - 67
    Mood - Average, tired/sleepy

Feeling better. Sleep not great, but I had a ton of naps, so that helps.
    Immune system definitely got hit hard, the cold I got has green mucus...
    Sore throat is just about gone.
    Still feeling a bit battered body wise.

weighed 95.7kg 210.54lbs straight out of bed in underwear

did a bit of thoracic extension work and stretches
    Last edited by Blitzforce; 11-21-2006 at 11:52 PM.

Wednesday 22nd November

Sleep - naps + 6 interrupted hours
    Waking Pulse - ?
    Mood - Decent, slightly tired/sleepy

Sticking hot day and night, made it hard to sleep, but the naps made up for the sleep and early wake up.
    Definitely bouncing back, non-powered steering wheel in the van felt the easiest to turn in the last few months.
    Lower body is starting to feel good, feet got that springy feeling. Upper body still a bit beat.

weighed 95.9kg 211lbs straight out of bed in underwear

did more thoracic extension work and stretches
    Getting better now, can just about get my arms vertical overhead. And can finally touch my arms on the floor in the same position lying on my back, so lats are finally loosening up. It used to be like 4 inches away from the floor,
    but there is some impingement pain in that position so more work to do. Until then no more pullups.
    Last edited by Blitzforce; 11-21-2006 at 11:54 PM.

Thursday 23rd November

Sleep - naps + 6 interrupted hours
    Waking Pulse - 60

freaking dogs, woke me up again! I'm looking so damn tired!
    Cold is getter better, have an ulcer inside my mouth though - crap food caused it. Gotta clean up my diet
    Upper back sore from all the stretching and crap I did the last 2 days.
    Legs, hips and feet feeling better.

weighed 95.9kg 211lbs straight out of bed in underwear

Thursday 23rd November - Cycle 3 Get Lean+Maintain Strength - Week 10 - Day 2 - BBall/Jumps and Speed - Micro cycle 10

Feeling sleepy, and thought about taking the entire week off, but I need to get some sprints and jumps in. Won't be training again till Sunday again anyway.
    Went to that other park with a BBall court next to the field

Body weight at shorts+ t-shirt - 213.18lbs
    Workout time - ?
    Workout rating - 6/10

Did a dynamic warmup in bare feet at home before heading to the park which is only 8 mins away.

1) Played BBall for 20mins or so, went moderately hard, didn't do that much jumping though. Mostly shooting, layups and post moves. Lots of agile explosive moves - damn calves, soleus especially were pumping up! They get used more than I thought.
    The few near max effort jumps I did before I headed to sprinting were ok, not that high, but I still wasn't fully warmed up to max jumping mode yet.

2) did several warmup runs with a rest between sets of 3.
    Then did 3x3 short sprints up to 90% with 4mins rest between each set
    No shin issues. Long, close fitting shorts made these a bitch though...
    Did a few vertical jumps in the rest period. Was able to touch the base of a light on the stadium ceiling.

3) played some more BBall, mostly jumping, feeling tired now. Probably should have skipped this and headed home. Pretty disappointed with my jumps here.

---

Negatives - jumps in the 3rd part of the session were real low. I dunno if the sprints tired me that much, or I'm really overreached, but they were 4 inches lower across the board for the 2 legged jumps.
    Jumps felt kinda muscled too.Really disappointed, will see how it turns out when I'm fresher in 10 days time.

Positives - I BBalled in some low cut sneakers, not a whole lot thicker than Chuck Taylors, and I felt pretty good. Feet, ankles, knees all felt solid. When your strong in those areas with good force absorption you don't need much padding I guess.
    Will never buy another pair of BBall shoes. They're too big, heavy, hot and expensive anyway! The Nike Free 5.0 I tried the other week feel so comfortable, might get a pair

- The ball rolled onto the road in the first part when I was BBalling, and I ran after it, jumped off a 2 feet high ledge, landed and bounced off the ground easy as you like with hardly any knee bend.

- I automatically reeled off some smooth running one leg jumps anytime I did a layup without thinking. Very unusual as I normally prefer 2 legged jumps. It felt real comfortable. Did them at good speed too, with no shin pain, and a lot more confidence. The jump practise I have been doing at the gym is paying off.

- 3 step vertical jump was smooth, without the hesitation jump stop I normally do and was higher than my one step VJ by a couple of inches or more. Getting more spring.

- Knees came up extremely high on the sprints. Kinda like full squat bottom position. Hmm wonder if the paused squats doing some active flexibility work there...

Friday 24th November

Sleep - 7 interrupted hours
    Waking Pulse - ?
    Mood - Kinda crappy, tired

Not enough sleep. Feel a bit beat up. Feet, and lower legs are trashed. Achey posterior chain and upper back/traps/shoulders.

weighed 96.3kg 211.86lbs straight out of bed in underwear

Saturday 25th November

Sleep - 7 interrupted hours
    Waking Pulse - ?
    Mood - Semi crappy, tired

Sleep still not there
    Legs and upper body feeling better, but soleus is still trashed.
    Although upper back is smashed right now after my part time job this morning.

weighed 96.7kg 212.74lbs straight out of bed in underwear

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1347125
    also on page 2, Bill outlines a test for mobility with regards to snatches

I can't do it, that's probbaly why I haven't been doing any powersnatches lately

damn tight lats! But it's getting better, and one day I will return to powersnatches...

neighbour decided to hold a party last night so late night, and not much sleep after hard a day

rather than trying to save a sinking ship, I decided to take a week off. I'm well past over-reaching and into a light overtrained state for sure. Plus I'm due for break anyway, been training for 10 weeks straight.

you definately deserve a break. Great work here. I look forward to seeing how your body thanks you for the break.
    Want to be big? READ WBB ARTICLES!
    Deads 06 245...07 375...08 565---- Squat 2006 175.....2007 315----2008 505----Bench '06 155.....'07 260....'08 385---- weight - 260
    Goals:
    (11-08)Hit 1450 geared (class III - 600/500/350) current - 1455 geared
    Journal - Pics - ...9

Quote Originally Posted by mickyjune26 View Post
    you definately deserve a break. Great work here. I look forward to seeing how your body thanks you for the break.

thanks mate,
    hopefully I'll be able to build upon what I accomplished just before things went downhill

Monday 27th November

Sleep - 7.5 + 1 hours
    Waking Pulse - 56
    Mood - Average, slightly tired

Much better sleep, at least it's somewhat continous now. Once I get back those deep long sleeps then I'm back to 100% and ready to push hard again.

Sore throat is gone and my cold is just about done as well. Ulcer on my gum/mouth still there though. Waking pulse drops back down to 56 in a long time, been hanging around the 63-67 area the last week or so.

weighed 95.3kg 209.66lbs straight out of bed in underwear
    weight dropping back down.

Tuesday 28th November

Sleep - nap + 6 hours
    Waking Pulse - 58
    Mood - Average, slightly tired/sleepy

deep sleep, but woke up early. Find it hard to sleep in when I hiut the bed late, due to my bodyclock too used to waking up early
    Feeling better anyway, mouth ulcer is starting to heal up.

weighed 95.3kg 209.66lbs straight out of bed in underwear

I'm debating on wether I should take the whole week off, not doing anything, or do some active recovery work and very light stuff in the gym to keep the movement patterns greased and stop excessive soreness when I start a new training cycle next week.

Wednesday 29th November

Sleep - nap + 7 hours
    Waking Pulse - 65
    Mood - Crappy, sick and tired

another night of bad sleep. My stomach felt funny when I woke, and it got progressively worse, and by mid morning I was feeling pretty sick. Feverish and my stomach was churning. Felt like throwing up.
    Been in bed all day, and don't feel like eating much either. It's warm, but I feel cold. Trying to get some sleep, but hard to when your stomach feels so rotten. It's bloated as hell too.

weighed 95.7kg 210.lbs straight out of bed in underwear

Thursday 30th November

Sleep - lots of disrupted sleep all day
    Waking Pulse - 83
    Mood - Crappy, slightly sick

83 waking pulse says it all, I am still sick, but much better than yesterday. Started feeling better last night. The fever is gone, but my stomach still feels churned up, painful and bloated. Funny taste in my mouth too. Don't feel like eating. Seems like I got hit by a stomach virus or something.
    At least I got a ton of semi-sleep.

Man I haven't been this badly overtrained in a while. My immune system is so weak right now, I'm getting hit by nasties left, right and centre
    After all this time I still ahven't learnt my lesson!!!!

weighed 95.7kg 210.5lbs straight out of bed in underwear

Friday 1st December

Sleep - nap + 6 + 2 hours
    Waking Pulse - 67
    Mood - Slightly crappy, slightly sick/tired/sleepy

Feeling better, but still a tiny bit sick feeling.
    Sleep last night was decent. Dreams coming back. Need more of it.

weighed 94.8kg 208.56lbs straight out of bed in underwear
    one positive spin from getting a fever is that you don't eat much and so you get leaner..but I have been making sure I get a few protein powder + Vitamin C drinks in so I minimise my muscle loss, hopefully

Monday 4th December

Sleep - naps + 4 + 6 hours
    Waking Pulse - 61
    Mood - Average, slightly tired

Sleep has been all over the place. Enough of it, just spread out here and there etc.

Haven't updated the last few days, same ***** different day.
    Body is feeling ok now, but I'm still not as fresh as I would like, but given the circumstances, it's about as fresh as I'd likely to be.

So I'll start my new training cycle today. Probably won't be going all out immediately anyway, so I'll get some slight deloading happening for the first week. Goal will change to getting strong, especially my legs, and maintain my current bodyweight. If I get leaner, that would be nice, but I'm not focusing on it right now. While I can't let myself get much heavier, since relative strength is my main priority.

weighed 94.5kg 207.9lbs straight out of bed in underwear

bodyweight has been consistently edging down the last few days. Down a steady 1kg now. Appetite has returned, and I ate a lot yesterday, and still my weight has creeped down. I look leaner too, so hopefully it's all fat.
    Nice to get leaner without having to try!
    Last edited by Blitzforce; 12-03-2006 at 01:30 PM.

this picture freaking inspires me - 270kg 594lbs nice and deep!
    my long term goal one day...

but he is probably repping that for a few sets
    Attached Images Attached Images

Monday 4th December - Cycle 4 Get Strong+Maintain Weight - Week 1 - Day 1 - Lower Power/Strength - Micro cycle 1

Starting a new training cycle, and microcycle today. Hopefully smarter than the last one.... still feeling a bit under the weather. Guess the virus is still lingering around and may take a couple of weeks before I'm fully over it. Looked very pale at the gym today. Didn't feel that fresh given the time off.
    Upper back felt sore.

Didn't really have a set plan. Just wanted to get a feel of where my strength levels were. And selected exercises and programming on the fly.
    worked well in the end. Probably did a bit too much for the first week back.

Bodyweight of 210 at the gym is 4lbs lighter than last week, big drop. Probably have lost some muscle mass.

Body weight at gym - 210lbs
    Workout time - 1.75 hours
    Workout rating - 7/10

General warm up -

20sec ISO holds - quarter squat, on toes, on heels (toes pulled up), hip back wide stance squat at parallel, on side of feet (for ankles), narrow full squat at bottom on toes
    standing on one leg, balancing, and with eyes shut

2) back extension x 5 + 6 twisting to each side
    3) reverse hypers - BW x 10
    4) sit up complex on swiss ball
    5) various hops, prime times, running in the spot drills

Resting 2-3mins

Power Cleans

just did these in between the warmup sets of squats

Powerclean + 2 High Hang Power cleans - 89lbs, 111lbs, 131lbs

warm ups - controlled down, semi explosive up in sneakers - Bar x 8, 95x5, 135x5, 185x5, 225x5
    in oly shoes - 255x3, 285x2, 315x1

controlled down, semi-explosive up
    1) 315lbs x 2 - rest 3 mins
    2) 275 x 5 - rest 5 mins
    3) 225 x 10 - rest 6 mins
    4) 295 x 5 - rest 6 mins
    5) 245 x 10 - rest 6 mins

squats felt hard initially. Feels like I'm down 30lbs based on how 315lbs felt. I assumed my max is around 395lbs, it's probably lower. Should come back fast anyway.
    Then I went down to 275 and cranked out a hard set of 5. Was thinking of ending here, but I went down to 225lbs for some reason, it felt nice and light now and did 10, which was hard, lactic acid wise, and my support muscles went to jelly towards the end. Then somehow I ended doing a wave load pattern, funny how things happen when you least expect them to
    295lbs felt ok then, but 245x10 was hard. Not nearly failure, but the burn and cardio expect was a killer!

---------

minimal rest between each exercise

Narrow stance OLY style Good Mornings onto toes - pause at bottom - controlled - Bar x 10, 95lbs 2x10
    been a while since I did these, hammies felt negelected after the squats. They really smash my posterior chain and core. Should help my squat hoepfully.

Lat Machine situp - BW x 12 (progressively lower each rep with hold at bottom)
    hold at middle and bottom on each rep - 10lbs x 5

Toe curls on lying leg curl machine - 10sec stretched hold + 5 reps with with a hold at top, mid and bottom + 5 sec stretched hold - 1 Plate

Sideways situp on hyper bench - BW x 5 each side

Single Leg Standing leg Curl - hold at top, mid and bottom - 4 plates x 5

--

lower body, and lower back stretches
    Last edited by Blitzforce; 12-06-2006 at 12:17 AM.

Tuesday 5th December

Sleep - naps + 6 + 2 hours
    Waking Pulse - 58

Sleep not good. I feel ok, apart from being sleepy/tired. No drained feeling from the workout yesterday, well I shouldn't it was more muscular than CNS intensive.

Not too sore in my usual squatting muscles. It's probbaly due to the fact I massaged my quads a lot last night. They started cramping as usual after the hard squatting, and I thought I had that problem licked for good with lots of water and my magnesium intake is high from the ZMA. Stretching didn't solve the problem because the VMO would cramp again when I started walking after sitting for a while. So I got into a sissy squat position by kneeling on the sofa, putting the quads into an extreme stretch and massaged the quads for a good 50 secs and then it went away for good...

While my quads may not be to sore, my hamstrings are smoked from top to bottom!! Spinal erectors, calves, upper glutes to a lesser extent. OLY Good Mornings doing the biz! Upper back is a bit sore too.

weighed 94.8kg 208.5lbs straight out of bed in underwear

12 min walk planned today and some easy stretching.

Wednesday 6th December

Sleep - nap + 7.5 hours
    Waking Pulse - ?

Sleep not that bad, but I feel sleepy and tired.
    Upper back a bit achey, but feck my hamstrings and groin are so d**n sore!! I can barely move properly.

Also my lower back feels really good and strong. Big change from last week and before, where it was always tight and achey. Good Mornings are working better than I expected. I think it's because it stretches and strengthens the whole posterior chain as a unit. I never got that feeling with RDLs, it stretches the hammies, but makes my lower back tight. Funny because I avoided GMs for a long time because I thought they would stuff up my lower back....
    Seem to work my hammies far better than than any other move as well, and if you go up to your toes like I do with the oly version your pretty much strengthening the whole posterior chain as it functions in jumping and sprinting.

weighed 95.4 kg 209.88lbs straight out of bed in underwear

Wednesday 6th December - Cycle 4 Get Strong+Maintain Weight - Week 1 - Day 2 - Upper Strength - Micro cycle 1

Average workout. Strength is definitely way down after the break and virus.
    In the back of my mind I'm keeping the upper volume on the lower side as lower body is priority. Every bit of extra recovery is gonna help

Body weight at gym - 212lbs
    Workout time - 1.5 hours
    Workout rating - 7/10

General warm up -

1) whole body dynamic stretches and swings
    2) scapular push ups - on bench 2x10
    3) bench scapular dip shrugs x 10

Resting 1 to 2mins on warm ups and 3 mins between each exercise on work sets

stretched the side of neck and upper trap, 15secs each, at the start of each warm up and work set rotation

16inch grip Bench - shoulders slightly tucked, no arch or leg drive

Warm ups - pause at middle, and bottom on the war down, power up - Bar x 10, 95lbs x 5, 135x5, 165x4, 195x3,
    normal - 225x2

controlled, no bounce, driven up hard
    Rotation 1) 255lbs x 1 --> pretty hard
    Rotation 2) 205lbs x 5
    Rotation 3) 155lbs x 10

None of the sets to failure
    255 was pretty hard, considering I did it for 3 reps + 1 gut buster before the break. Maybe the dual paused warmup sets tired me out more than I realise.
    Pretty tired by the time I got to the 205x5 set, so I didn't much more after that. I was planning to do 2 more sets waving back up.

Chest Supported T-Bar Rows - medium overhand grip

warm ups - semi-Explosive + 2 sec hold at top on last rep - BAR x10, +25lbs x 8, +45x8, +70x5, +90x5, +115x3, +135x2

controlled
    Rotation 1) Bar + 160lbs x 1
    Rotation 2) Bar + 135lbs x 5
    Rotation 3) Bar + 90lbs x 10

None of the sets to failure. Posterior chain didn't tense up like it normally does when I go heavy.

-------------------------------------------------------

Resting 1 min on warm ups and 2 mins between each exercise on work sets

Elbow on Knee single arm External Rotation - started from bottom

warm ups - 4kg x 8

controlled - 1.5 min between sides
    Rotation 1) 15lbs x 8

took it easy

Dip Shrugs

warm ups - regular 10sec Hold + 5 reps

controlled with hold at top
    Rotation 1) BW x 12

-----------------------

Cool down - Restorative - stretches

Static stretches - lats, shoulders, rear delt, bicep, tricep, cuffs and lower body

Dip/Pushup stretched ISO hold - knee on floor - 30secs
    Last edited by Blitzforce; 12-06-2006 at 12:19 AM.

Thursday 7th December

Sleep - nap + 8 hours
    Waking Pulse - 57

Good sleep but yet I still feel so tired, WTF!
    Oh well at least my legs are starting to get that nice springy feel back. Adductors and hammies are still pretty sore though.
    Upper body not that sore from yesterday which is surprising. And I feel quite good in the sense that I don't feel sapped from the workout yesterday. So much so I could actually go and sprint/jump/BBall today. This is a welcome change. Maybe dialing back the upperbody workouts will pay bigger dividends than I thought...you only have some much adaptive capacity, so you have to divide it accordingly etc

Feels like I'm starting to rebound back. Maybe by the end of next week I'll be back on track

weighed 95.8 kg 210.76lbs straight out of bed in underwear
    Last edited by Blitzforce; 12-06-2006 at 06:32 PM.

Thursday 7th December - Cycle 4 Get Strong+Maintain Weight - Week 1 - Day 3 - Lower Power/Hypertrophy/Work Capacity - Micro cycle 1

Hammies and adductors still uber sore, but I have enough spring in my legs to feel I have recovered enough to train em today. I don't want to train on Friday, so I squeezed in this session today. Glad I didn't go all out yesterday.
    Pretty good session in any case. Legs are feeling great from the high rep squats.

Bodyweight back up to where I want it for now

Body weight at gym - 213.5lbs
    Workout time - 1.75 hours
    Workout rating - 8/10

General warm up -

standing on one leg, balancing, and with eyes shut

2) back extension x 5 + 6 twisting to each side
    3) reverse hypers - BW x 10
    4) sit up complex on swiss ball
    5) various hops, prime times, running in the spot drills

Resting 2-3mins

Jumps

Warm up - sets of 2-3 jumps going higher/harder each time

did these in between the warm up sets on squats from 185lbs to 225lbs

a) standing Vertical jump,
    b) one step VJ
    c) running one legged jump
    d) three step VJ

sequence for 2 sets total

jump just slightly under my current best at the gym, but I'm not expecting much during this phase with all the high rep squatting etc.
    Just some low volume work to maintain my form and reactivity etc.
    These are feeling even better on the landings after the Good Morning work. Knees felt real solid.

warm ups - controlled down, explosive up in sneakers - Bar x 8, 95x5, 135x5, 185x5, 225x4
    in oly shoes - 255x3, 285x2

controlled down, semi-explosive up
    1) 315lbs x 1 - rest 3 mins
    2) 285 x 5 - rest 5 mins
    3) 235 x 10 - rest 6 mins
    4) 305 x 5 - rest 6 mins
    5) 255 x 10 - rest 6 mins

Up the waveloading sequence 10lbs from last workout. Was kinda nervous about this, but form was better, I felt stronger, support muscles held solid, and I didn't even need to take breaths between each rep. Powered em up like a piston!

255x10 made me real nervous, but my desire to squat 500lbs pulled me through and in the end wasn't as hard as I thought. The single I did 315lbs felt a lot lighter and faster as well.
    Noticed the extra posterior chain ROM from the Good Mornings, allowed me to stay stiffer and more upright at the bottom. Lower back keeping the arch, and it didn't pump like before.

Next squat workout I'll intensify and lower the volume by switching to those ISO paused squats for 3 sets of 2 with 315lbs, well I'll see how many sets and reps I can get, but 2 reps per set planned for now. Plus some easy high rep single leg squats to flush some blood in there.

That will probbaly be the plan this microcycle, 2 waveloaded high rep workouts to one ISO paused intensification workout. With a sprint/jump/BBall session inbetween each squat workout. Then a deload after 2 such complete sequences.

---------

minimal rest between each exercise

Narrow stance OLY style Good Mornings onto toes - pause at bottom - controlled - 65lbs x 6, 95lbs x 6, 105lbs x 6

Upped the weight 10lbs, wow 105lbs was pretty hard! Granted I did these after some tiring squatting, but I have no idea how people can toss around 300+lbs on these, but then again I ain't full squatting 600lbs for reps either
    Did these is sneakers today and it felt much harder than in oly shoes last time. Thought the extra calf ROM would be nice, but you can sit back as much and it's a bit unstable, so I'm going back to oly shoes. Unstable GMs is not a good diea..

Lat Machine situp - BW x 12 (progressively lower each rep with hold at bottom)
    hold at middle and bottom on each rep - 25lbs x 6

Toe curls on lying leg curl machine - 10sec stretched hold + 6 reps with with a hold at top, mid and bottom + 5 sec stretched hold - 1 Plate, 2 plates

Sideways situp on hyper bench - BW x 6 each side

Single Leg Standing leg Curl - hold at top, mid and bottom - forgot to do these.....

--

lower body, and lower back stretches. Massaged squads in stretched position.

Friday 8th December

Sleep - 6 hours
    Waking Pulse - 62

Not enough sleep, but not much choice on this. Will nap a bit to catch up.
    Don't feel too bad, a little sapped but not drained. Quads and posterior chain pretty sore, lower back quite a bit, although my hammies and adductors are less sore than yesterday
    Achey calves, and upper back/traps/biceps are pretty sore too. I think from holding the bar down on squats as I power up hard enough for the bar to come off my shoulders.

weighed 95.5 kg 210.1lbs straight out of bed in underwear
    Just when I feel like I'm starting to bloat up, the high rep squats trim me back down

12 min walk and some easy stretching
    Last edited by Blitzforce; 12-07-2006 at 06:38 PM.

Saturday 9th December

Sleep - naps + 6 interuupted hours
    Waking Pulse - 65

Gah - dogs barking, plus hoons with loud exhaust = not a good night of sleep!
    Gees something about Friday nights bring out the worst of the hoons. Where are they during the week??!

Legs and lower back still pretty sore. Quads especially are very stiff. My cuffs are sore as hell msucle wise, has been like that for a week so far.

weighed 95.7 kg 210.54lbs straight out of bed in underwear