The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 145 of 145 FirstFirst ... 4595135143144145
Results 3,601 to 3,613 of 3613
    Whoops I actually used 175lbs on GMs yesterday, had 2x10lb plates one each side. I thought I had 165lbs... so a bit ahead of schedule. I had planned to go up 5lbs a session until 170lbs, deload, and then restart again at 160, and go up 5lbs a session to 175, deload, restarting at 165 etc. So average load increases slowly by 5lbs over a few sessions
    Last edited by Blitzforce; 11-26-2009 at 03:14 PM.

Sunday 29th November 2009

Still a little sore from the last workout 3 days ago, mostly in my calves and hammies. Considering the 10 day break, I wasn't as sore and beat up after the last workout as I expected, but I did feel moderately stale the day after.

Might go for a long'ish walk today

weighed 93kg (-0.3kg) 204.6lbs this morning
    waist is 36.5 inches around belly button

With this http://home.fuse.net/clymer/bmi/
    it puts me at 17.7% bodyfat
    Tanita scale = 23.8% (+0.7)

measurements straight out of bed, cold

Wrist - 6 5/8 inches
    Ankle - 8.75
    Neck - 15 7/8

Arms - flexed 15.75
    Forearms - flexed 12.5
    Chest - relaxed 42.5
    Hips/Glutes - 43
    Thighs (flexed) - upper 27.75 (-0.25)
    - mid 26 5/8 (-0.25)
    Calves - flexed 16 6/8

Much the same as last week. First muscle size drop after a month of not squatting. Glutes are still pretty big though.

Thursday 3rd December 2009

I've been a lazy bum! Because of poor sleep and getting distracted by other things I haven't been training, but I've still been busy getting myself healthy. And I feel much better now!

Been doing a lot of stretching 2-5 times a day, and I can feel the difference! I feel so much lighter and looser when I move, like a different person. I think my lower body is pretty good now, just my lat ROM needs work. My shoulder is improved since I started doing aggressive shoulder capsule stretches.
    Ankle/calf, rectus femoris/hip flexors and hip rotors are on a whole new level now of mobility - very noticeable when I walk.
    I used to have a lot of resistance from all the tight muscles fighting me.....

I was forced to walk downstairs normally twice today and my left knee didn't complain at all. Was moving pretty normally, and felt light. Not laboured and in pain like before, but I'm not going to make it a regular habit just yet. I'll stick to walking down stairs backwards for at least another month, just in case I re tear the meniscus, because it's still not 100%

---

Went for a longer walk today - 24 mins. Half down, and up, a moderate slope. Walking felt a lot easier and smoother than before. I'm able to do so because of my better posture and firing patterns due to all the stretching of the hip flexors. My lower back doesn't seem to get as overworked and tighten up from anterior tilt I had before.

gonna start doing these more frequently and for longer so I might lean up over time. This has leaned me up before, but who knows if it will now
    And this should help my meniscus tear as well. Smooth down the torn area.
    Last edited by Blitzforce; 12-03-2009 at 01:29 AM.

One stretch I've been doing a lot of, everytime I get up from a long sitting session is a shallow lunge/split squat with rear leg straight, feet flat of floor, and then you push the hips forward and lean back a bit. A bit like a sprint stride position.

Stretches the hip flexors and ankles/calves at the same time. 2 areas that get tight when you sit down.

The improvement in these 2 areas should help my hops and overall athletic ability when I get back into it me thinks
    Last edited by Blitzforce; 12-03-2009 at 01:31 AM.

Sunday 6th December 2009

I did some slow mo approach jumps during the week to test my left knee out and it was pretty much pain free throughout the whole sequence. It's improving every week.

Yesterday I tested it on a seated isometric knee extension, in the fully bent position, pressing my feet into the floor and there is still some pain with moderate pressure, but 50% less than the last time I tried this a month ago.
    I'll keep testing this once a month. Once I can do this pain free with hard pressure, then my left knee is ready for squatting and full on jumping.
    Hopefully things will be ok by mid next year....

Plan to do a 30 min hilly walk later today

weighed 93.6kg (+0.6kg) 205.9lbs this morning
    waist is 36.5 inches around belly button, 37.5 loose and relaxed

it puts me at 17.6 - 19.6% bodyfat
    Tanita scale = 24.9% (+1.1)

Wrist - 6 5/8 inches
    Ankle - 8.75
    Neck - 15 7/8

Arms - flexed 15.75
    Forearms - flexed 12.5
    Chest - relaxed 42.5
    Hips/Glutes - 43
    Thighs (flexed) - upper 27.75
    - mid 26.5 (-1/8)
    Calves - flexed 16 6/8

Not much change, have not lost as much muscle mass as I expected.

Tuesday 8th December 2009

40 min hilly walk mid morning

I had planned to go to the gym later in the day, but felt quite achey and tired in my whole lower body that I said ***** it.
    The walks have been making me feel achey and inflamed the next day. Still been a while since I walked for this long and with an incline. I remember the last time I walked this route many years ago, I was struggling, massive burn in my calves and I was out of breath. Not an issue so far, either I'm really that much fitter, or maybe my strength/muscle mass is helping quite a bit

Wednesday 9th December 2009

more stretching throughout the day

foam rolling/soft tissue work, followed by more stretching
    35 min hilly walk afterwards

felt pretty tired after that. Was a bit achey from yesterday's walk as well. Will try and get to the gym later this weak...hopefully....need more sleep for starters

see what all this walking does at the end of the week, bodyweight seems to be heading down
    Last edited by Blitzforce; 12-08-2009 at 11:29 PM.

Sunday 13th December 2009

Crap sleep last night, but the average amount sleep this week has improved a lot. Need to keep it up. Very important for my recovery and fat loss.

More walking yesterday - 34 min hilly walk. It seems I'm getting faster each time I do that route
    That makes it 4 sessions so far over the last week or so. Might be overdoing it as my glutes and IT band are killing me. They have been feeling really tight, achey and tensed the last few days. I have to keep foam rolling them.....

I also don't eat for a few hours after each walk. I figure there is no point spiking insulin up so quickly. Might not be so good for recovery, but it has to help the fat burning right?

weighed 92.1kg (-1.5kg) 202.6lbs this morning

it puts me at 18 - 20% (+0.4)bodyfat
    Tanita scale = 24.8% (-0.1)

Wrist - 6 5/8 inches
    Ankle - 8.75
    Neck - 15 7/8

Arms - flexed 15.75
    Forearms - flexed 12.5
    Chest - relaxed 42 (-0.5)
    Hips/Glutes - 43
    Thighs (flexed) - upper 27.5 (-0.25)
    - mid 26.5
    Calves - flexed 16 6/8

I really thought I was significantly leaner this week since starting the walks. I look and feel leaner, and my bodyweight has dropped the day after every session so far, but it doesn't seem to be the case at all. No change in waist size, surprising!!

My bodyweight has dropped heaps though. So maybe it's muscle mass from my legs since I haven't squatted in over a month now. Although my chest size has dropped, so maybe the fat came off there instead....
    Last edited by Blitzforce; 12-12-2009 at 01:07 PM.

Sunday 20th December 2009

Haven't done much this week, and still lacking sleep. Lots of real life stressing out and spending too much money...

Body feels real good. I backed off the huge amount of stretching from last week, and it's like my body super compensated. I have the looseness but without the constant soreness. My shoulder/lat mobility has improved dramaticly and so it feels a lot better. I getting closer and closer to touching the back of my hands on the wall at the top of a scapular wall slide

The last 3 days my left knee has felt different for the better. It hardly clicks anymore, and I've been squatting down onto the floor to fix things here and there with no issues.
    It should be looking good in 2 months time. For a while it felt like I would be stuck with that super loud click for the rest of my life.

The less I think about my knee, use and move it, the better it seems to feel

Sunday 25th December 2009

I put my gym membership on hold till the end of January

Still doing a bit of 25-35 min hilly walks there and there. Plenty of daily stretching. Soft tissue work once in a while.

I've hardly lost any muscle mass!

Left Knee progress -

it feels pretty good, about 90-95% now. The walking is helping a lot.
    Tried the seated static leg extension into the floor in the fully bent knee position test, and with medium effort there is no pain! Major improvement from last month. Will test again next month with more tension

Walking downstairs slowly is 100% pain free and I can use normal gait.
    Even brisk, but low effort jump approach plants feel good. Right-left plant less so than left-right plant, since the left is in front.

I'll keep walking downstairs backwards for another week to be safe, and then start doing it normally after that to condition the connective tissue and muscles as I start to ramp things back up again. That should get things in order by the end of January when my gym membership comes back online. Although still no squatting and hard jumping for a while to be safe

Man it's good to feel better than I have in the last 10 years!!

Sunday 10th January 2010

tested out my left knee today after a stretching session.
    Seated isometric leg extension into the floor with leg in fully bent position - hard tension - no pain or discomfort!
    Did a few low effort approach jumps, landing on balls of feet - felt normal!

Been walking downstairs normally for a few weeks now, and it feels fine. So I'm on track to get into things slowly by the end of the month as planned. 1 Month of light activity before ramping things back up again into hard jumping over the next few months.
    What a relief!

Still got a click in there though, once in a while, but it doesn't hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzforce View Post
    Sunday 13th December 2009

Crap sleep last night, but the average amount sleep this week has improved a lot. Need to keep it up. Very important for my recovery and fat loss.

More walking yesterday - 34 min hilly walk. It seems I'm getting faster each time I do that route
    That makes it 4 sessions so far over the last week or so. Might be overdoing it as my glutes and IT band are killing me. They have been feeling really tight, achey and tensed the last few days. I have to keep foam rolling them.....

I also don't eat for a few hours after each walk. I figure there is no point spiking insulin up so quickly. Might not be so good for recovery, but it has to help the fat burning right?

weighed 92.1kg (-1.5kg) 202.6lbs this morning

it puts me at 18 - 20% (+0.4)bodyfat
    Tanita scale = 24.8% (-0.1)

Wrist - 6 5/8 inches
    Ankle - 8.75
    Neck - 15 7/8

Arms - flexed 15.75
    Forearms - flexed 12.5
    Chest - relaxed 42 (-0.5)
    Hips/Glutes - 43
    Thighs (flexed) - upper 27.5 (-0.25)
    - mid 26.5
    Calves - flexed 16 6/8

Sunday 24th January 2010

well I decided to extend my break from the gym another 2 months, till the end of March. Just don't think my body is ready yet, left knee wise. My flexibility and mobility is improving, but still not where I want to be yet as well.

With the 2 months off so far, not much has changed. I probably am fatter, but bodyweight is about the same. I feel healthier and more mobile though, which is most important.

I've lost a lot of size from my spinal erectors though. Calves look smaller, but my hips and legs are much the same with zero squats!

weighed 92.7kg 203.94lbs this morning

it puts me at 17.8 - 19.8%
    Tanita scale = 24.5%

Wrist - 6.75 inches
    Ankle - 8.75
    Neck - 15 7/8

Arms - flexed 15.75
    Forearms - flexed 12.5
    Chest - relaxed 42.5
    Hips/Glutes - 43
    Thighs (flexed) - upper 27.5
    - mid 26.5
    Calves - flexed 16.5

I was able to do overhead squats with a proper snatch width grip yesterday, without undue discomfort so overall flexibility and mobility is heading in the right direction. Only to a shallow squat depth though, due to me left knee off course, and with just a broom handle.
    Need to be able to do with it with a narrower grip eventually

It's amazing how much better my shoudlers feel. And it's all been down to flexibility improvements, and not the usual "cuff" and scapular work. Ankle mobility has also improved dramaticly!