The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 61 of 145 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371111 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,525 of 3613
    Friday 1st April

Sleep - nap + 6 hours
    Waking Pulse - 64
    Mood - a bit tired, but ok at the same time?

Woke up really early this morning. Body is in hyperdrive, light sleep. Which is making me eat a lot - yesterday. Which kinda negates the benefits of what I'm doing a little... need to keep focused
    CNS seems to be fine, just have a bit of muscular and structural fatigue

Spinal erectors, lower legs and hammies are taking a beating. I have a couple of days off to recover. Next week I'll try waveloading the Tempo run volume. Instead of 2 runs across the board, maybe 3-1-2 on the 3 days, to allow for better recovery.
    I have a feeling, that once I unload from the tempo work, I'm going to see a postive spurt in my lower body power, apart from the gains of being leaner.

After those scapular pushups yesterday, some small muscle in the back was totally hurting! Obviously a weakness for me, this should help my benching stability quite a bit
    I did a search on google on em and pushups in general, and the impression I got was that pushups work your scaps and cuffs, but bench does not, and is probbaly degenerative if left unchecked.
    Last edited by Blitzforce; 03-31-2005 at 02:34 PM.

Friday 1st April - Cycle 3 Get Lean+Maintain Strength - Week 1 - Day 3 - Lower - Microcycle 1

Excellent workout. It was productive, power was good, body felt good, form was decent, and I left the gym feeling like I hadn't done much!
    Guess my work capacity is much better now. And I was right with how I felt this morning - CNS is fine, but muscles were moderately trashed. That's with tempo runs yesterday - I guess they do help CNS recovery, but trash my posterior chain, feet and shins

I didn't go to maximal fatigue, just did enough to last me till next workout, since I've already squatted earlier in the week and doing all these tempo runs etc

Bodyweight at the gym - 220lbs
    Workout Rating - 9/10
    Workout time - 1.25 hours

Warmup

1) Partial upper range Reverse hypers - BWx8
    2) Situp complex on the swissball
    3) Twisting Back Extensions - BWx5 normal, and 4 twisted to each alternating sides.
    4) Bar complex with 30lb bar - RDL + hang power powercleans

Rotating between each exercise

rest - 1 to 3 min for warmups. 3.5 mins between each exercise after warmups.

Full Back Squats - in Oly Shoes - RAW

Warmup sets - controlled down explode up - BWx8, Barx5, 95lbs x5, 135x5, 185lbs 2x3, 225lbs 2x3,

Lowered under control explode up
    275lbs x 2, 275x1
    315lbs x 2 singles -> 1.1 and 1.05 sec concentric
    335lbs x 1 -> 1.27 sec concentric
    365lbs x 1 -> 1.5 sec concentric - 3 sec total time
    315lbs x 1
    335lbs x 1
    225lbs x 10 (controlled down and snapped up - constant rhythm all the way though)

I planned to just go go up and do some explosive heavy doubles or singles at around 275-295lbs. But everything was feeling good and fast, I decided to get a feel for where my strength levels were. I felt kinda nervous, but I got 365lbs OK, it went up pretty quickly, but felt close to limit. I squatted it up rather than drive my feet into the floor like I should, and so I did that slight good morning I always do when I forget that...
    So at least I know my strength levels are close to my best ever of 385lbs, but I dropped like a rock and bounced that one. Pretty cool, since I haven't done anything heavy in ages. Even though the loads were near maximal today, they all went up fast enough, and without much strain to be considered strength speed work - thanks to all explosive stuff, jumping and sprinting I have been doing

The warmup today was perfect, I lowered everything under control and exploded up with about 80-90% of max power. It made everything feel lighter, fired up my CNS, got a sweat up and the muscles warmed up faster, allowing em to do less reps and make bigger jumps.

Last set of 225lbs for cooldown was pretty cool, I didn't feel winded, and no burn at all! Tempo runs helping here probably.

Toes curls on Lying leg Curl machine - leaning back for maximal stretch

warmup - 1plate 2x10

reactive
    2 Plates 3x10

did these in between the warmup sets of full squats

Lat Machine Situp - Dumbell on chest

warmups - (explosive) BW 2x10, 10lbs x5, 25x3

toes pressed into floor, lower down, relax on bench at parallel for 4 secs, explode up.
    45lbs 3x3

did these in between the later sets of full squats

Cooldown and ISO Stretches - EQI

Bulgarian splisquat stretched ISO hold - front leg on 6 inch block - BW x 30secs each side

Moderate stance RDL stretch ISO hold - Bar x 45 secs to the floor on 6 inch block

layed over a swiss balll to stretch out the spinal erectors x 1min
    Last edited by Blitzforce; 05-01-2005 at 12:54 AM.

clip from today

Right click on clip and save to avoid errors

fullsquat singles in the order from 315 to 365lbs
    http://www.members.optushome.com.au/...5_1April05.mpg

Saturday 2nd April

Sleep - 6.5 hours
    Waking Pulse - 62
    Mood - tired and drained

Not a good night of sleep, woke up early again. Feeling moderately drained, tried and sore all over. Just as well I didn't do more than I did yesterday. My hammies are pretty sore, upper part, as well as my erectors, abs, calves and glutes. Lats and traps are surprisingly sore

Seems like I recruit my hammies pretty well these days in the squat. My quads barely feel it, goes to show that squatting with a moderate stance, going all the way down in heel elevated oly shoes even with my knees going forward, isn't necassarily a quad dominant move, it's all down to how you squat. Since I keep my feet less angled, and use more hip extension rather than squat between my legs, my hammies definitely feel it more, and less glutes and quads. Off course once I try and stay more upright my quads feel it more, but in frontsquats where I am pretty upright, my hammies are pretty active as well, go figure

Sunday 3rd April

Sleep - 2hour nap + 6.5 hours
    Waking Pulse - 60
    Mood - Average, but tired/sleepy

Most of the soreness seems to be gone, looks like I'm recovering a bit quicker now. Starting to get some red welts on my chest/back. When I used to overtrain a lot, I had heaps of em, indicating a hormonal change. Need to keep an eye on it

Monday 4th April

Sleep - naps + 6 hours
    Waking Pulse - 62
    Mood - tired and crap like!

Well I played some BBall yesterday and it was crap, my legs felt heavy, my joints and my body ached all over, I could barely move properly - uncordinated mess! I left after 20mins
    I know my body pretty well these days, and I didn't read the signs - red welts on chest and back = overeaching. Lots of read welts = overtraining
    All that did was dig myself deeper into the hole

And to make matters worse, for some reason, while I was sitting at home, my right ankle got "sprained" without spraining it!?
    It started hurting and swelling up a tiny bit, and the BBall just made it worse!!!!

I guess you could say last week was how not to do things...
    Well I feel like crap today, and my right ankle is pretty flared up now and makes walking difficult. My left knee has tendonitus, and my upper body and both shoulders feel inflamed too!

About the only thing positive is a nice haircut from my girlfriend...blah
    Gonna rest up today, and see how things feel on Tuesday

Tuesday 5th April

Sleep - naps + 7 hours
    Waking Pulse - 55
    Mood - Average

feel much better today. Not sure what I will do today though.
    On a positive note, my gym finally got in a squat rack to complement the existing power rack. Finally I can squat, press and bench in peace in the rack!!

I dunno, for some reason even though I am way stronger than when I started training, I am weaker in many ways ...just feels so different....
    Last edited by Blitzforce; 04-04-2005 at 08:56 PM.

Tuesday 5th April - Cycle 3 Get Lean+Maintain Strength - Week 2 - Day 1 - Energy Work + Upper Prehab - Microcycle 1

Workout went well. Right ankle sprain was hurting a bit during the warmups, but I didn't notice it after that.

Trying a new warmup scheme. straight running is hard on my feet and shins, until I'm warmed up. This new complex I made up works much better. Gets my feet, ankles, legs and hips all warmed up in all directions without killing my lower leg. Running sideways is much more comfortable to me when I'm cold

Also did a agility run. The last time I leaned from from 220 to 180lbs, I did a lot of these. And I can see why, they sure make you expend more energy for the speed you run at! Mid section gets a good workout as well.
    I lost fat fast back then, 1/4 an inch of the waist a day!
    But I was also doing 5+ all out 50m sprints, as well as these runs, 2-3 times a week, and 3 whole body workouts at the gym, plus 20 gallons of ice cold water and hard dieting. I didn't know the concept of neural drain back then, I kicked my ass pretty good, and destroyed my shins and feet pretty quickly, at least I got lean fast.... But I didn't care about losing strength and muscle mass back then....
    I wouldn't mind losing some muscle mass now though, if I could maintain my strength, just a bit too bulky, especially my legs!

Bodyweight at the home - 220lbs
    Workout Rating - 8/10
    Workout time - 1 hour all up

Warmup

30 min warmup - dynamic swings
    RFI hops - 2 legged alternating forward/back and side to side
    SplitSquat front to back and side to side

Run complex 50m forward and back x 4 - increasing in speed each run

straight run, into lateral run leftside, then rightside, back into forward run, rotate into backwards run, rotate back to front. Turn around, walk back towards start, acclerate, side steps to each side every 2nd step, then into swerves to each side.

then 50m accleration runs to 70% speed 2x2

Tempo Runs + Energy Work

200+ metres @ 60-70% speed with proper standing start - 3mins rest
    1) 46 secs
    2) 46 secs

Speed has gone up by 6secs for the subjective level of effort. 2nd run was quite hard. Spinal erectors were tightening up hard, and feet were really tight as well.

50m Agility run @ 60% speed - side steps to each side every 2nd step, then turn around and zig-zag runs back to start, 360 pivot at the end of each angle change

just did one run. Erectors and core were pumped and tight...bad motor patterns from sitting down, squats and deads...

Upper Body prehab at home

rotating between scapular pushup and one miniband exercise - rest - 1 min between each exercise

Scapular Pushups
    1x10 with knees on floor
    3x10 as per normal

Miniband Exercises
    closegrip rows - 1x10
    Horizontal laterals - 2x10

sacpular, lat and pec stretches
    Last edited by Blitzforce; 04-05-2005 at 01:38 AM.

Wednesday 6th April

Sleep - naps + 6.5 hours
    Waking Pulse - 60
    Mood - slightly tired

Felt a bit drained when I first woke up. Not so bad now. Muscles and tendons in my feet/ankles are a bit battered. Hammies are moderately sore - agility work cranks em up that's for sure!

Upper body and legs feel nice and loose - just the way I like it. I haven't done any strength work on upper body for a while now, and boy does it feel good. Muscles feel soft, loose and supple, and ROM is much better. On the negative side, my biceps were feeling a bit worked over at work, carrying stuff around, and throwing things at high velocity. Guess I'll have to start working em again - see bicep work is more than just cosmetic
    I was hoping to not have to train my upper body for a good while just to see what happens.

Strength training is a necessary evil - on one hand you feel more stable and it makes you strong and explosive, but on the other hand it also makes you tight and f*cks up your motor patterns, and for me I gain too much weight and muscle mass. Especially in my legs and hips. My legs are pretty big, and for their size, they're not very strong at all, and it's not like I train like a bodybuilder either. You'd think with my leg and hip size I'd be fullsquatting over 500lbs...
    Just be thankful if your naturally explosive like Hook Mitchell - you can spend all the time playing and practising your sport without having to work out and get all the negatives that come with that!!!!

took a couple of quick snaps - yep my quads and hams are still pretty big

just under 30 inches...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thursday 7th April

Sleep - naps + 6.5 hours
    Waking Pulse - 58
    Mood - tired and a bit crappy, need sleep

Feel a bit crappy today, lack of sleep.

Tempo - Morning

Alternating Split Leg RFI hops with arm swing
    on balls of feet - going at comfortable relaxed rate - barefoot on 2 layers of carpet

30secs x 7 - with 1 min 45sec rest

to ease the burden on my feet and shins I decided to do a different type of tempo today, a bit like sking on the spot
    And barefoot as well to strengthen the muscles in my feet. Tibs were working quite hard, something I don't notice while running.

Felt good, but 30secs is a bit too long, my hips were starting to tire by the 25sec mark, so 20secs next time.
    rest time was about perfect, my heart rate would drop around the 1 min 30 mark. Wasn't sure if 7 sets were enough, but better to do less than more, and that was about 15min worth of stuff. Feel much better now

Thursday 7th April - Cycle 3 Get Lean+Maintain Strength - Week 2 - Day 2 - Lower - Microcycle 1

Average workout, felt a bit stale, not really that zippy. I didn't do my usual warmup stuff, and stuff felt heavy for a while until I got a sweat up. Posterior chain is wasted!

Bodyweight at the gym - 221lbs
    Workout Rating - 7/10
    Workout time - ?

farmers walk with 60lb dumbells to rack
    warmup complex with 30lb bar

Full Back Squats + Light Bands - in Oly Shoes - RAW

Using Light bands, cinched around a 60lb dumbell, just in the top third adding about 40-50lbs resistance to slingshot down the bar and stop bar coming off at the top

alternating sets with frontsquats
    Warmups - BWx5, Bar x5, with Bands (explosive) - Bar x3, 95x2, 135x2, 185x2, 225x2
    frontsquats with bands - Barx3, 95x2, 135x2, 185x2, 225x2

About 66 to 70% of 1RM - Down fast, Explode up
    Rotation 1) 255lbs x 3 - 0.8 sec concentric
    Rotation 2) 275lbs x 2 - 0.933 sec concentric
    Rotation 3) 255lbs x 3 --> last rep slow - 0.8, 0.867, 0.933 sec concentrics

I guess you could count the warmup sets as part of the workout as I did em all explosively.

PowerClean + HighHang SquatClean Complex

warmups - 110lbs - clean deadlift + hang powerclean, Powerclean + HighHang SquatClean - 110lbs, 155lbs x 2

Rotation 1) 175lbs
    Rotation 2) 175lbs
    Rotation 3) 175lbs --> best form

been ages since I did any cleans, so working the groove. Last one was the best, I was a bit frantic in the others, but then focused on relaxing and feeling the FORCE and form looked much better
    Squatted quite wide on the cleans, and so my knees moved in a bit on the way up due to flexibility reasons etc

Cooldown

Fullsquats + Bands 135lbs x 12

farmers walk with 60lb dumbells back to dumbell area

Toe curls on lying leg curl machine - 2plates x 15

Low pulley LFlyes - 10lbs x 12

layed over a swiss balll to stretch out the spinal erectors x 1min

dislocate pec stretches with wooden staff

----------------------------------------------------------

clip from today

squats and last set of cleans. The new squat rack makes a nice camera stand

http://www.members.optushome.com.au/coolco...75_7April05.mpg

Friday 8th April

Sleep - naps + 7 hours
    Waking Pulse - 59
    Mood - Ok, but sleepy

very slight drain feeling, but I must be feeling ok if I'm whistling and hummming tunes
    Amazing how much better I feel with an extra 30mins of sleep. If I get 7 hours I feel Ok, 8 hours I feel great, anything less than 7 hours is a drag.

Achey all over - calves, posterior chain and upper back, traps and cuffs mostly. Biceps are a bit sore thanks to my arm bend in the cleans - that takes care of my high velocity bicep work ;D
    Feet and ankles feel so much better from all that barefoot stuff I did yesterday. Sweet!

I was fiddling around doing some calculations on the lewis nomogram equation, and with my current wattage power levels in my standing vertical jump.

If I dropped my bodyweight down to 82kg 180lbs without losing any strength/power then I will have a standing vertical jump of 40+ inches and a running one of 46+ inches assuming my ratio stays the same..
    That would mean my fullsquat and snatch grip deadlift would be about 2.1 times bodyweight and clean deadlift over 2.6, military press of 1.25 and frontsquat of 1.75 times.

1/4 inch dip Powersnatch just over bodyweight too, which makes sense as I need to throw the bar about 40 inches to powersnatch it. Especially the way I do em with a jump

Something to ponder

Saturday 8th April

Sleep - naps + 7 hours
    Waking Pulse - 58
    Mood - sleepy

I went to bed pretty early, but it took me ages to fall asleep, and it was interrupted. You can't win!
    I actually feel worse than yesterday. It seems anytime I do tempo work or explosive stuff, my CNS gets hyper the next day and it makes me feel better than I actually am...
    Still a bit sore all over

Sunday 9th April

Sleep - naps + 6.5 hours
    Waking Pulse - 58
    Mood - slightly tired

crap sleep, and feeling beat up from my part time job, especially upper body. Legs feel like they have mostly recovered.
    I need to quit this extra job one day and find something else. It's really putting a damper on my training and recovery! Once I get rid of this background of fatigue I figure all my capacities would jump up a bit across the board, until then I just have to make the best of things

Sunday 10th March - Cycle 3 Get Lean+Maintain Strength - Week 3 - Day 1 - BBALL - Microcycle 1

After a nap and food I felt better this morning, upper body still a bit beat up, but overall not bad. And so BBall felt good. Legs were strong and explosive. What a difference to last week!!! So it looks like 3 days from the last workout is enough for recovery and maybe some gains.
    I Finshed up the session before I started to tire, so left with 25% juice left.

Not much change in bodyweight, but I do feel like I'm leaning up, but I'm gaining a muscle in my legs and hips at the same time, because my legs look bigger! I still feel a bit heavy and clunky as you'd expect, but its getter better.

Bodyweight at home - 220lbs
    Workout time - 45 mins
    Workout rating - 8/10

started with easy dribbling and shooting. Then progressed to more intense stuff. 70% of the session was jumping, dunk attempts, and layups, stuff shooting

Jumping is up a bit from 2 weeks ago. I think due to a combo of real power gains and better technique. More to do with explosive strength gains than reactivity, looking at the results

1) Standing VJ is up a solid 1 to 1.5 inches. I dip down faster and back a bit, swing arms harder.
    2) One step two legged jump is 2 inches higher than VJ.
    3) 3 step two legged jump with a jump stop is 3 inches higher than VJ
    4) Running one leg jump is also up a bit, maybe 3/4 inch
    5) dunk attempt with a dribble is same as my 1 step jump, with or without a dribble, one step or with a running jump stop - no difference today. Interesting because in the past I do lose 3 inches with the ball in my hand...

Now the gap between my running one leg jump and standing VJ has widened. I guess that tells me my explosive strength has gone up will my reactivty has stayed the same. Actually more of a slow jog, because when I run it's even lower, my body shuts down, and it does feel like my leg is struggling to absorb the forces and react even with a slow jog etc.
    Even my running 2 leg jump hasn't gone up much. So reactivity and force absorbtion has become a weakness again, but I'll put it on the backburner for now.

Feet felt pretty good. Ankles not bad, my right ankle is still a bit twingey but better than last week. Also had that twinge in my left knee on running jumps and jump stop dunk attempts. Something to do with the deeper knee bend I guess. No problems with standing and one step jumps or dunk attempts though. So its healing, but I need to keep an eye on it.
    Last edited by Blitzforce; 04-10-2005 at 01:38 AM.

Monday 11th April

Sleep - nap + 6.5 hours
    Waking Pulse - ?
    Mood - slightly tired

Could have slept in, but my body is too used to waking up early...oh well, don't feel too bad. When I woke up my upper traps and neck were on fire. From all the jumping and ring grabbing? Looks like I'll have to start training my upper body again so imbalances don't come up. Feet, ankles, legs and hips feel ok overall. You can tell they have been worked but no DOMs.
    Looks like all my attributes and capacities are rising all together - sweet!

Only 2 major negatives is my bum right ankle, need to improve its strength ROM so it doesn't overstretch the inner tendons when I jump deep. So some seated calf raise work and ISO stretched holds on it are in order.
    And my left knee that has recently flared up. I was getting clicks on it for a while, and it seems like the VMO on it doesn't fire properly and is smaller than its right counterpart. I've been ignoring these signs, but now I have to address it. Also the left hammie is a lot tighter than my right, probably a related issue. Certainly strains more when taking off the line when sprinting.

I might do some tempo stuff today, I feel up to it, but not running, just those stiff legged runs or sking stuff on the spot with barefeet, I did last week. And maybe some rehab work for my left knee, splitsquats on a sitfit to get that VMO firing properly. And some leg/hip stretches
    Last edited by Blitzforce; 04-18-2005 at 07:56 PM.

moved around a bit with some hops and jogging on the spot stuff, to warmup

stand on one leg - 2x12sec, with eyes shut 3x12sec

then did
    rock bottom splitsquats with knee going as far forward as possible, heel up, on a sitfit, with arm for support on railing. Pressing a finger into the VMO to make sure it fires

Left side - 1x10, 2x12
    Right side - 1x10 1x12

Left knee feels much better now, amazing

Then some stretches for the tibs and calves, quads and hip flexors
    Last edited by Blitzforce; 04-10-2005 at 09:14 PM.

Tuesday 12th April

Sleep - nap + 7+ hours
    Waking Pulse - 60
    Mood - lethargic

feel strange today, recovered, but dead and achey in tensed way.

Tuesday 12th April - Cycle 3 Get Lean+Maintain Strength - Week 3 - Day 2 Morning - Tempo and Energy Work - Microcycle 1

Went pretty well, once I got a sweat up, body felt loose and fluid. Shins and right ankle got a bit achey, mostly from the agility stuff but I'll be unloading soon so they get the time to recover. Felt good after, not tired, which is what I need since I have an upper body session later today

Workout Rating - 8/10
    Workout time - 45 mins all up

Warmup

30 min warmup - dynamic swings
    RFI hops - 2 legged alternating forward/back and side to side
    SplitSquat front to back and side to side

Run complex 50m forward and back x 5 - increasing in speed each run

straight run, into lateral run leftside, then rightside, back into forward run, rotate into backwards run, rotate back to front. Turn around, walk back towards start, acclerate, side steps to each side every 2nd step, then into swerves to each side.

then 50m accleration runs to 60% speed 2x2

Tempo Runs + Energy Work

200+ metres with 180 degree turn at halfway @ 60% speed with proper standing start - 3mins rest
    1) 52 secs
    2) 52 secs

Dropped the pace 6 secs from last week, felt better, still not easy but much more relaxed now

50m Agility run @ 60% speed - side steps to each side every 2nd step, then turn around and zig-zag runs back to start, 360 pivot at the end of each angle change

2 runs - up one from last week.
    Last edited by Blitzforce; 05-16-2005 at 05:54 PM.

cut block extraordinaire
    I really like you work outs and find them quite interesting Blitz. I was wondering where you have acquired all of the knowledge for this type of work outs. Any books or websites that you would recommend? I do have a decent knowledge of explosive training due to some classes/training sessions i have taken, but would like to increase my wisdom...

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by andy51
    I really like you work outs and find them quite interesting Blitz. I was wondering where you have acquired all of the knowledge for this type of work outs. Any books or websites that you would recommend? I do have a decent knowledge of explosive training due to some classes/training sessions i have taken, but would like to increase my wisdom...

thanks
    a few years of surfing the web, lots of reading and experimentation
    Main sources are stuff throwers do, West side, olylifting systems - mostly Russian. Books - Supertraining and Science and Practise of Strength training.
    Both are pretty much bibles for performance training, but are hard to distill the info into usable stuff, they are more for knowing the whys and hows etc reference books if you will. Also articles at www.T-mag.com and books by Christian Thibaudeau

But if you want stuff you can use then read all the stuff on these websites..

great articles by Kelly Bagget, check the Q&As as well
    http://www.higher-faster-sports.com/
    I have the vertical bible from this site, I know Kelly Bagget, and I think everyone who interested in performance training should get it! It's legit and 128pages of E-Book packed info that's easy to read and understand!!
    It really breaks down what to train based on your weaknesses
    He doesn't have a 42inch Vertcal jump for nothing!

The backbone of the way I train comes from here. Again weaknesses is the name of the game, targetting the nervous system and autoregulation of volume and fatigue, circuit rotating all exercises in a workout etc
    http://www.inno-sport.net/
    Kelly Bagget's VJ Bible and articles will help you understand the stuff here, infact he's got an article here that summarises the basics of this system

trainer of Ben Johnson's site, superb for sprinting and speed stuff, but all the great minds and coaches on the net visit here. You will need to register
    http://www.charliefrancis.com/community/
    Last edited by Blitzforce; 04-12-2005 at 02:08 AM.

Tuesday 12th March - Cycle 3 Get Lean+Maintain Strength - Week 3 - Day 2 Evening - Upper - Microcycle 1

Been 3 weeks since I have done any decent upper body work. And boy does it freshen you up to the exercises and clears up all the overuse aches. I haven't lost much strength at all and things didn't feel too heavy or shakey. I bet my gains will be better too than when I left off. I'll have to start doing this at least once a year
    Probbaly went a bit too heavy for my first workout back, but I'm only working upperbody once a week this microcycle

Bodyweight at gym - 221lbs
    Workout time - ?
    Workout rating - 8/10

General warmup - lots of stuff

Rotating Sets between each exercise

Resting 30secs to 1min on warmup sets and then 2 mins between each exercise

22-25 inch Grip bench - shoulder blades pulled together, no arch or leg drive

Warmups - explosive - Bar 2x8, 95lbs x5,135lbs 2x5, 165x5, 195x3, 225x1

Semi explosive
    Rotation 1) 225lbs x 7
    Rotation 2) 225lbs x 7 -> close to failure
    Rotation 3) 135lbs x 12 - cooldown, flat back

The last time I benched with this wide a grip was almost 2 years ago. I mostly use a 14inch grip. Thumbs right on the smooth, but today I went wider, marking thumbs off the smooth. Certainly more pecs, feels a bit smoother to push, no noticable sticking point and you can drive better when it gets hard.
    I pulled something in my right neck/upper trap this morning doing the runs/agility stuff.. WTF! WHich made it a bit uncomfortble benching, didn't realise how much my upper traps are used when benching.
    Both worksets felt close to failure, but smooth and powerful.

Seated Pulley Rows - U Bar Parallel close grip

warmups - 25kg 2x6, 35kg x5, 45kg x 5, 55kg x 3, 65kg x 1, 55kg x 1

3 sec hold at the body
    Rotation 1) 55kg x 6
    Rotation 2) 55kg x 6
    Rotation 3) 25kg x 12 - cooldown

Standing Dumbell Curls

warmups - curl to neurtral grip press 3kg x8, 5kgx8, curl - explosive 22lbs x5, 30x3, 35x3

explosive
    Rotation 1) 35lbs x 5
    Rotation 2) 35lbs x 5

CoolDown, Cuff Stuff and ISO Stretches - EQI

military press 70lbs x 12

Cuff circuit

1.5 min rest between each

Scapular pushups - 2 sec hold top and bottom
    A1) BW x 10
    B1) BW x 10
    worked my core and hipflexors as well!

Lying single crossbody lateral - warmup 3kg x 6
    3 sec ISO hold at parallel each rep
    A2) 5kg x 5
    B2) 5kg x 5

One Arm low pulley L-Flyes - warmup 10lb x 5
    3 sec ISO hold at midpoint each rep
    A3) 20lbs x 5
    B3) 20lbs x 5

-----

Front of neck curls - 3 sec ISO hold at midpoint each rep BWx5

Shoulder Dislocates pec stretch with wooden staff
    Last edited by Blitzforce; 04-12-2005 at 01:48 AM.

clip from today

first set of bench with new wider grip - 225x7

http://www.members.optushome.com.au/..._12April05.mpg

Wednesday 13th April

Sleep - nap + 7 hours
    Waking Pulse - 59
    Mood - Average I guess

I expected to feel drained, but I'm not. Not as sore as I thought I would be given I haven't done some of those moves in a while, but that may change later today. Slight ache in the hammies, shins and feet don't feel to bad.
    Upper body is achey all over, especially my traps
    I keep respraining my right outter ankle, so no more swerves and sidesteps till it fully heals. There is so much scar tissue there!!

Waist is down another 1/4 of an inch, bodyweight lightest so far this training cycle, just under 99kg or 217.5lbs straight out of bed this morning. Surprising since yesterday I took 2 servings of whey+gatorade after each of my 2 sessions, that's an extra 700+ calories!

Can't wait to get down to 88-90kg 193-198lbs, that should add another 8inches on my vertical jump, and hopefully another 4 inches from training itself, for a grand total of 12inches. I would become a lean mean jumping machine with a 42+ inch standing vertical jump, a 44+ inch one step jump and a 45+ inch 3 step jump. Then I'll try and get my 3 step jump up to 6 inches over my standing VJ, and bring up my running one leg leg - yes I have lofty goals
    But I need all the inches I can at my height!
    By then I should be pretty fast down the 60m sprint as well....
    Last edited by Blitzforce; 04-12-2005 at 03:09 PM.