Thread: Insulin Spike

Insulin Spike

When you drink some grape juice (or any high glucose drink) to get an 'insuline spike' to help absorption of creatine, how long does it last, and how long does it take to begin?

I ask this because I guess it's a good thing to do right after a workout and right before drinking protein, right?

The insulin spike is caused when a large amount of simple carbs (sugars.... dextrose, maltodextrine being ideal) are quickly ingested. Insulin is very anabolic and shuttles nutrients to the body's cells and somewhat increases cell volumization.

Insulin is shown to be even further "spiked" when such simple carbs are taken along with a quickly absorbed/digested protein such as whey protein shakes.

Fat slows down and reduces the absorbtion of protein and nutrients in your stomach and therefore reduces the level of insulin secreted in response to the ingestion of simple carbs (or any high GI carbs for that matter) and protein.

So, yes, its a very good idea to spike the insulin post workout because your muscles have a negative nitrogen balance and needs a quick and massive pool of amino acids which insulin will shuttle to the muscles.

There are a zillion threads on this, and I happen to have a pretty nice article saved from a member on this board if you want me to PM it to you, i can... search for "post workout" or "post workout drinks".. etc.... hope this helps.
    Last edited by nightop; 08-07-2002 at 10:44 PM.

I just want to know how I should go about doing my post workout drinks...

I have to drop off my workout partner after our workouts, so I don't get to take my protein drink until about 20 mins after our workout.

So I was wondering, I can do my sugar drink right away, and have my protein when I get home, or I can wait, and do them both all at once when I get home.

If I can find out that the insulin spike lasts over 20 mins, I'll do it that way.

If I find out that it is better to have them together, I'll do it like that...

Anyone know?

I see what you are saying.... if it was me, I would go ahead and take the post workout sugar as soon as you can... in your case right after the workout and then take your protein when you get home.... yes you prolly won't have AS high an insulin spike (because the protein and sugars aren't ingested at the same time) but that is better than letting your body go longer in a catabolic state IMO....

just curious, but if you can manage to take your sugar immediately after the workout.. why can't u get the protein as well?
    Last edited by nightop; 08-08-2002 at 12:41 PM.

It's easier to say, drink a bottle of gatorade after leaving the gym than it is to make a protein shake

it's all in your priorities I would find a way just cuz I'm a diet freak... but practically speaking, you should be fine doing what you do now.

Grasshoppa
    put that stuff in a mug and drink it in the car!
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

I can't drink whey with water! YUK!

stop being a little sally and drink the whey.

besides that, who doesn't like shakes? That's just odd

absolutely.. wow i didn't know that we were dealing with someone who "doesn't like" protein and water lol jk bro, but you do need to learn to drink that stuff... saves alot of time, money, and hassle.

I love whey shakes in milk, they taste like desert!

but in water, with flax seed oil mixed in.. UGH

Maybe I'll eat a bar right after workout, then a shake when I get home.. Thoughts?

A bar right after would be good and then finish off the target amount of post workout protein with a shake when you get home.. but like I said... practically, this is not that big a deal either way... and protein bars get expensive

If you want to make thing easy here is a great solution with a great explanation of why post workout nutrition is paramount...

http://www.affordablesupplements.com/recover_x.asp