The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

question for long distance runners

I just bought my first pair of real, "proper" running shoes, because I have decided to attempt a half marathon. So i went for a 6 K (just under 4-mile) run this morning in the new shoes. My left foot has less of an arch than my right, and on the spot on my foot where the arch support is, there's a huge blister forming.

1) Anything I can do to prevent that, since I'm scheduled to do a 16K run on Sunday?

2) Is this normal for new shoes, like I didn't get a defective pair, did I? Do I have to wear the shoes in?

Please, any input would be great.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Equal Opportunity Offender Budiak's Avatar
    HA! I thought you were going to talk about Iron Maiden. I was sorely mistaken.

Carry on, shoe man.

with most shoes you have to wear them in, its not unusual to get blisters after wearing a new pair for quite a while. have you got an older pair you can use? maybe just cover up the blister with a bandaid?
    'you cant avoid confrontation in life. it just makes things more trouble down the road. sometimes you have to look at the bull and say "f--k you bull" and grab that bull by the horns'

-Shane

I got a big ole blood blister after mile 5 of my first 1/2 marathon. getting mole skin and placing it on your foot where you usually get the blister works for me. The shoes will do that when you first get them. What kind of shoe is it (motion control, soft, etc.)? My favorite pairs of shoes gave me blisters initially. The mole skin trick worked every time. You can get the stuff at the grocery store where they have the Dr. Scholl's stuff. Hope this helps.

Thanks for your responses.

ectx-what is mole skin, exactly?

Relax. You won't be putting dead animal on your feet. It's a soft cotton flannel material that protects your feet from friction. It sticks on to your skin or sock and you can cut it into any shape you want. I usually put a patch on my arch. It does the job. Low arches huh. You must overpronate. I have that problem. Be careful about your training and make sure you don't run with worn out shoes. Your knees will thank you.

Where the grass is green and the girls are pretty
    Is it an "A" type race?

Hey, ran the 16K on Sunday. I didn't think I could do it, but I didn't have to stop once or walk at all, and I completed it in 1 hour and 33 minutes. You have no idea how proud I am of myself!!

ectx: thanks, bro, for the tip on the moleskin. It worked wonders.

It was all in the pacing, apparently. It actually felt easier than the 6K I was running before, but maybe because I didn't feel a need to sprint all the way through it.

Of course, my legs were sore as hell yesterday, but I think I should be fine for a 6K or 7K tomorrow.

TripleP: I have no idea what an "A" type race is. Please explain. (I'm just a novice at running, as you can probably tell).

Originally posted by Laertes
    Hey, ran the 16K on Sunday. I didn't think I could do it, but I didn't have to stop once or walk at all, and I completed it in 1 hour and 33 minutes. You have no idea how proud I am of myself!!
    NICE!!!
    "damn...can't beat logic like that.
    NAte is exactly right." - Tryska

:withstupi
    Great time too! BTW
    Last edited by ectx; 08-06-2002 at 07:00 PM.

MulletII - AKA Ninja Boner Gyno Rhino's Avatar
    Oooo. Budiak just made me get out "Somewhere in Time" and have a listen..
    Founding Member and CEO of the FFFA

"All that matters is beauty on the inside! Outside beauty doesn't matter!"
    ~This is something ugly people say to feel better about themselves...

"Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"
    ~This is something wussy people say to feel better about themselves...

Pearls of Wisdom...

Resident Ninja Demon (with a pet Radioactive Sloth) and SchlonkeyMaster of WBB!

Rock is my 'Big Viking Brother', and not in a homo-esque way.

And no COLON jokes, bastards!