Thread: protein quality and various concerns

protein quality and various concerns

does the quality of protein vary? like some fats are worse than others, the same goes for protein, like tuna protein has gotta be better quality than protein shakes. is 30g of tuna protein equal to 30g of shake protein?

also i heard peanut butter is really good, but theres not that much protein, as for eggs, theres only like 2.5g of protein per egg minus the yolk, thats a total of 12.5g of protein for 5 eggs, yippee, why do people praise eggs so much, there not that great.
    my goals: gain weight and muscle mass

Eggs are an awesome source of EFA's
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

"Bah. You know I hate poor people."

Paul Stagg

Grasshoppa
    Eggs are great source for both good fat and protein.

As for tuna protein vs. shake protein...it depends. Post workout, you'd probably opt for the whey protein shake since the protein can get absorbed at a faster rate than whole food. But whole food is preferable for a normal source of protein in a meal.
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

Back at it
    Don't count plant protein in your daily totals, including grains such as wheat and starches such as pasta. They tend to contain protein, but the biological value is not very high. Obviously it's protein and it will help a little, but if you're aiming for 200g of protein a day, try to get most if not all of that from eggs, meat (white, red, and fish), milk, and whey. Soy protein can be good which contradicts the plant thing. These will yield the proteins that benefit bodybuilding.

Peanut butter is good for it's source of good fat. There was a thread recently that had an attachment of an article that explained the different types of fat and which are good... look around and I'm sure you'll find it in the diet/nutrition forum.

thanks guys, i still eat tons of meats and eggs and peanut butter as i know there are important, my girl friend tells me my head might turn into an egg

its just somethig wasnt adding up and i needed to clarify it, thanks again
    my goals: gain weight and muscle mass

Re: protein quality and various concerns

Originally posted by someoneunlikeyo
    as for eggs, theres only like 2.5g of protein per egg minus the yolk, thats a total of 12.5g of protein for 5 eggs, yippee, why do people praise eggs so much, there not that great.
    Where did you get those #'s...and eat the yolk, or at least a few of them.
    "damn...can't beat logic like that.
    NAte is exactly right." - Tryska

3:16
    The more protein you eat, the less you have to worry about the quality.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.