Thread: Abdominal hernia: How to train

Abdominal hernia: How to train

The short version:

Trained legs last week. Finished with direct abs (something I started doing this year). Felt great as usual. While in the shower I felt a 'water balloon' above my belly button. Abdominal hernia. Surgery July 8th. In the hospital for 4 or 5 days (It's Japan...). Doc said it wasn't an emergency. It falls back in when I'm on my back.

While walking around to different parts of the hospital to get my pre-op tests done, I fell and snapped part of my pinky finger. Didn't realize it was broken (Piece of the joint area, not sure what it's called). Choices, surgery or less flexibility in the pinky. Doc said he wouldn't advise surgery since it's not a 'main' finger and that half of all surgeons would not actual do the op. He said there was also a possibility that with surgery it would get worse. So now it's in a mini cast/wrap.

Doc said I could go to the gym so long as I didn't put too much pressure on my abs/core. No direct ab training and no heavy legs. He said 'listen to your body' and that if I start to feel nauseous that I go to the ER.

I want to keep my muscles 'stimulated' and reduce muscle loss. I also figured I'd add more HIIT and try to shed as much weight (fat) as possible before surgery. I was in the gym today and could do some basic lifts on machines, but without a proper grip was limited to push exercises. Hopefully Friday my pinky cast gets taken off.

As far as diet, I'm going to try lean gains. I've been doing it just 2 days now. Seems to be something I can do. I'm still reading more on it. Still any info from WBB would be great.
    Ban Censors Donít Let ___ Stop___
    Love Your Enemies - It Really Messes with Their Minds

I've had a hernia of navel for a few years now. Do take your doc's advice and don't do what I do (which is everything and very heavy). With that said, you should be able to bench with no problem. You could also use machines which permit you to sit and don't place a lot of pressure/force on your core. For your back if you have a chest supported row that should work. Train with lighter weights using very slow and controlled movements. That will keep the muscles stimulated and minimize stress to your core.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Ė Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

How about training where one of your hands doesn't have a proper grip? My left pinky is busted. Piece of bone tore off. It's in a small cast like thing.

I was able to do dips, machine presses etc. I tried light lat cable raises, but with that pinky out of the grip, it just feels off. Wondering if I should buy some special straps and place to take the grip out completely

I think for the pulling stuff you just go really light so the grip is not an issue and use very slow movements with paused contractions to train. You will maintain strength and mass doing so.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Ė Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    I think for the pulling stuff you just go really light so the grip is not an issue and use very slow movements with paused contractions to train. You will maintain strength and mass doing so.
    Thanks. I'm going to give this a try today.

How did it go?

Not quite as well as I would have liked.

I was doing everything slow with light weights. I didn't have to rely on grip strength but it seems my pinky always wanted to wrap around and I had to focus on keeping it 'locked' in it's mini cast. Doing 4 sets of 10 reps, by the 4th set my left forearm was feeling pain, not soreness. I think it was radiating from the pinky.

Still, I managed to get my lats pumped and had slight DOMS in my back the next day, all the while keeping my hernia in check. I'm actually going in today for another back day. I'm going to have to play it by ear as to how to approach it today because my doctor resent the cast with a 'straighter' finger meaning my entire hand has a hard time with grip.

BUT I guess when injured you're not looking at breaking any PRs, just looking for stimulation

Quote Originally Posted by synonymous View Post
    Not quite as well as I would have liked.

I was doing everything slow with light weights. I didn't have to rely on grip strength but it seems my pinky always wanted to wrap around and I had to focus on keeping it 'locked' in it's mini cast. Doing 4 sets of 10 reps, by the 4th set my left forearm was feeling pain, not soreness. I think it was radiating from the pinky.

Still, I managed to get my lats pumped and had slight DOMS in my back the next day, all the while keeping my hernia in check. I'm actually going in today for another back day. I'm going to have to play it by ear as to how to approach it today because my doctor resent the cast with a 'straighter' finger meaning my entire hand has a hard time with grip.

BUT I guess when injured you're not looking at breaking any PRs, just looking for stimulation
    That's exactly right. You might also try cable pullovers. You can rest the grip at the base of your palm.

OK. Surgery was done Tuesday. I don't know how people manage this as an outpatient procedure. I was in for 4 days. 1 day before surgery, day of, 2 days later went home. Day of I was messed up and in bed with a self-medicating button that I pushed every 20 minutes. Which actually made things better...still...

So, I'm home. I think the level of care used by the Japanese doctors made for a better starting point as far as recovery. After opening me up, they said that the whole in the abdominal wall was so small that I wouldn't need a patch and they stitched it up instead. Not sure if I got screwed there or not, but it's not like I can argue it now.

I have no real pain anymore, but I'm stuck wearing a 'large' hernia belt that feels like a small. The problems of being a big white guy in Japan.

So, no gym for 6 weeks at least. Not even sure how long after that it will be before I can go as intense as before. During my 6 weeks out I'm wondering what I can do diet wise in order to hold onto as much muscle and not gain fat. So far, my meals have been spaced out over the course of a day (No IF diet for the time being). High protein/fat, low carb. Carbs are mostly fiber rich food. Anything else anyone can think of that will help?

OK. Surgery was done Tuesday. I don't know how people manage this as an outpatient procedure. I was in for 4 days. 1 day before surgery, day of, 2 days later went home. Day of I was messed up and in bed with a self-medicating button that I pushed every 20 minutes. Which actually made things better...still...

So, I'm home. I think the level of care used by the Japanese doctors made for a better starting point as far as recovery. After opening me up, they said that the whole in the abdominal wall was so small that I wouldn't need a patch and they stitched it up instead. Not sure if I got screwed there or not, but it's not like I can argue it now.

I have no real pain anymore, but I'm stuck wearing a 'large' hernia belt that feels like a small. The problems of being a big white guy in Japan.

So, no gym for 6 weeks at least. Not even sure how long after that it will be before I can go as intense as before. During my 6 weeks out I'm wondering what I can do diet wise in order to hold onto as much muscle and not gain fat. So far, my meals have been spaced out over the course of a day (No IF diet for the time being). High protein/fat, low carb. Carbs are mostly fiber rich food. Anything else anyone can think of that will help?
    Take creatine daily. Beyond that, not much, and don't worry about it. It will come back quickly when you resume training.

Wannabebig New Member

So, no gym for 6 weeks at least. Not even sure how long after that it will be before I can go as intense as before. During my 6 weeks out I'm wondering what I can do diet wise in order to hold onto as much muscle and not gain fat. So far, my meals have been spaced out over the course of a day agegoldsale.com (No IF diet for the time being). High protein/fat, low carb. Carbs are mostly fiber rich food. Anything else anyone can think of that will help?
    great!!!!!!!!!!

Glad you're on the mend bud.

Quote Originally Posted by Alinshop View Post
    Glad you're on the mend bud.
    Thanks. Got the OK to go back and do some light cardio. Next week I'm OK to start lifting so long as I ease into it.