The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    hmm, I like to be big!!!
    ahh, i watch it a few times and scooby is right, they only help rack the weight in the end
    Chris Mason is my master.....

American cars are like fat people, sure, they have a lot of power, but they're not built well, and they have all that useless weight, plus they make both make funny noises.

feel free to aim me, nejar462 im on a lot. Don't know much to warn you dudes, but im good at conversations.

Belial in reference to Ronnie Coleman, "Some people say he still has blood in his steroid stream, but I doubt it. Gas isn't one of the side effects, but that massive bloated overly muscular freak of nature circus sideshow appearance might be what tips most people off."

yeah and only a little push in the start, and one at the left side quick, but hey!

why cant they just lift the fugging weight with out help.
    A big thanks to all my friends in the USA, I am deeply grateful for your hospitality and kindness.

Banned
    Was that 800lbs in the video clip?

I counted 6 plates a side on the bar . . . are powerlifting weights different or do they use the same 45lb plates most gyms have? 6 plates a side is "only" what, 585 with the bar?

What looks like 45s are 100 lb. plates.

Originally posted by gino
    I used a bench shirt when I powerlifted, as well as a squat suit and other legal powerlifting aides. Most meets allow this equipment, so most records you see are with the equipment. The less weight you are able to press, the more the equipment helps. When you get that heavy, the shirt helps very little. Regardless of the weight pressed, the elasticity of the shirt stays the same. My shirt added about 25 lbs to my bench.

Gino, you may or may not be aware that shirts can vary dramatically in their assistance to a lift. To say that they help very little the heavier the lift is wrong. I have read of lifters who cannot lower the bar to their chest while wearing a shirt if they have less that 300 lbs loaded. Obviously the shirt will provide a ton of lift at the bottom of the movement in that case (regardless of how much is on the bar).

There are denim shirts, double shirts, shirts with 5 layers of "patches" etc. If you look at Ryan in that video, he is wearing a shirt which extends past the elbows, adding even more support.

Again, I want to see what the guy can do raw so that we can know exactly what he can lift, not he and his support gear. We would then also be able to judge exactly how much the shirt does add to his lift.

hmm, I like to be big!!!
    MAson is right, but it does make him SOUND like a hater, but he's definetly not so don't flame him. Chris even if his raw was really low compared to his shirted, i'd bet he still benches like 600 or 650 raw.

BTW i know someone personally who increased his squat by 150% from his regular raw, to him using all the equipment allowed. Just saying it does help a lot.
    Last edited by nejar462; 08-06-2002 at 01:41 PM.

American cars are like fat people, sure, they have a lot of power, but they're not built well, and they have all that useless weight, plus they make both make funny noises.

feel free to aim me, nejar462 im on a lot. Don't know much to warn you dudes, but im good at conversations.

Belial in reference to Ronnie Coleman, "Some people say he still has blood in his steroid stream, but I doubt it. Gas isn't one of the side effects, but that massive bloated overly muscular freak of nature circus sideshow appearance might be what tips most people off."

still pretty good to me!
    but i can see that if it helps, it isnt as "offical" as to what he can bench.

all you have to do is raise the bar after they lower it?? hmm
    Our Journal!
    R.I.P Devie

Originally posted by kimpy225
    still pretty good to me!
    but i can see that if it helps, it isnt as "offical" as to what he can bench.

all you have to do is raise the bar after they lower it?? hmm

What isn't as official? If you get two white lights at a reconized powerlifting meet, then it is an official lift.

Equipment is part of the powerlifting sport, If you don't like it then don't powerlift or compete in a raw event that noone cares about, All the big money meets and nationals allow equipment. I beleive Loui simmons said that it doesn't matter what your raw bench is.

Bench shirts also help make lifting big weight much safer. Look at Bill Kazmier and how many injuries he suffered as a powerlifter.

Banned

I would be happy enough...

if I can lock out 800lbs.

This is very impressive.

I would be happy if I could do a squat lockout with 800. lol.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

3:16
    Originally posted by Belial
    I would be happy if I could do a squat lockout with 800. lol.
    he got stronger arms than our legs.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

hmm, I like to be big!!!
    he has said that benches more than he squats in his interviews, i guess he would be better off walking on his arms than his legs

hmm, I like to be big!!!
    well nate following your logic we should do steroids to get into the meets people care about. If you told the general populace about weightlifting shirts i think they'd probably give more props to people who don't use equipment or steroids. So most people would care less about equiped lifts.

Also, I feel that since most people lift weights raw they would relate more to a non equipped lift.
    Last edited by nejar462; 08-06-2002 at 04:27 PM.

Originally posted by nejar462
    well nate following your logic we should do steroids to get into the meets people care about. If you told the general populace about weightlifting shirts i think they'd probably give more props to people who don't use equipment or steroids. So most people would care less about equiped lifts.

Also, I feel that since most people lift weights raw they would relate more to a non equipped lift.

First most powerlifters could care less about what the general populace thinks. Most in the general populace know little about powerlifting, or anykind of weight training for that matter.

hmm, I like to be big!!!
    THe general populace is where the big money comes from, from ads and stuff. Second of all, obviously many lifters, probably the majority on this board train RAW. So we'd rather see someone max a lift raw then equipped.

Nate you may not realize this, but many people do lift weights the're just not as dedicated as us, and they don't train with shirts on either.

I'm not fat, I'm big boned faus's Avatar
    My 2 cents worth...
    I understand Chris' original statements regarding the fact that he was using a shirt. True, he probably wouldn't have benched 800 without one. But if the lift came at a sanctioned meet and legal equipment was used during the lift, then great. Most powerlifting records wouldn't be where they are if shirts, suits, wraps, and belts were not used, however, as they are part of the sport, I don't think anyone should deride these accomplishments. Technological advancements are always going to come into play regardless of the sport. The same argument was going to be made at the Olympics in swimming if someone wearing the new full-body suit set any world records. But most swimmers wear goggles and caps, which, technically, provide some aid, otherwise they wouldn't wear them. Cyclists wear aerodynamic helmets. In track, Marion Jones and Maurice Green wear shoes custom made for them. Aids are a part of competitive sport.
    In the case of powerlifting/weightlifting, the only true "raw" lifts would mean that a person be completely naked--no underwear, no shoes, and no chalk, as any of those things, one could argue, may provide some level of aid.
    "Follow your dreams. You can reach your goals, I'm living proof. Beefcake! BEEFCAAAKE!!"
    -- Eric Cartman

hmm, I like to be big!!!
    I would prefer it as long as they were censored so i didn't see anything weird. I do my personal lifts naked from the waist up and my squats are done commando.

Did anyone notice that I said it was a great lift? I know the guy is (obviously) extremely strong. I have no problem with the guy. I understand the equipment is legal for him. All I was trying to say is that I am not a big fan of the equipment, and I would like to know what he can bench raw.

I truly dislike the running shoe analogy. Running shoes are akin to chalk and good squat shoes. Traction and balance. They allow the human body to achieve its own maximum performance. The shoes do not actually speed up the runners' feet, they simply maximize grip (at a minimum weight/drag).

Powerlifting equipment will actually allow people to lift more weight, not through increased grip (or other such optimization), but rather by supporting the joints and directly affecting the bar. In essence, if a shirt gives you at least 25 pounds on a given lift, then it's no different than having somebody pulling upwards with 25 pounds of force through the sticking point.

That said, equipment is here to stay. 800 is impressive as all hell regardless, but it can't be compared to a 700 raw. There just IS no comparison. If you can't push 800 pounds off your chest using just your body, then you can't truly bench 800. True, certain rules and regulations may count it in certain competitions, but those rules and regulations are, for all intents and purposes, arbitrary.
    Last edited by Alex.V; 08-06-2002 at 05:55 PM.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

I'm not fat, I'm big boned faus's Avatar
    Although the shoe analogy isn't directly comparable, it isn't analogous to squat shoes. If it was a matter of traction, Marion and Maurice could get the off-the-shelf spikes that most of their competition wears. Marion's shoes were designed by Nike based on computer analysis of the forces she exerts on her foot as she runs. Because she exerts all the force on the balls of her feet, her shoes were designed almost like a high-heeled shoe without the high-heel. Her shoes are not a matter of traction; it is a matter of giving her an advantage. You are correct that they do not aid her in the same way that powerlifting equipment does; her shoes allow her to maximize her God-given ability. However, my point is that her shoes are "special equipment" and it is not a matter of traction and balance, but give her some advantage, and that is why I feel my comparison is valid, if only somewhat valid.
    I don't know who sanctioned the meet, but as a former powerlifter, I never thought that a single-ply bench shirt added 100 pounds to your bench. I've never worn a double-ply nor a denim shirt, so I can't speak to that. I would think that he would be able to bench at least 700 raw, but maybe when you get up to that kind of weight, the shirt does help to that degree.
    "Follow your dreams. You can reach your goals, I'm living proof. Beefcake! BEEFCAAAKE!!"
    -- Eric Cartman

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Let's put it this way:

Chabot has hit 665 raw and even gave 700 a ride. He has never benched anywhere near 800 in a shirt and he is an amazing bencher. Everyone gets different thing from a shirt. It is all about getting yourself prepared to lift the most weight using the best legal equipment that you can be successful with. Equipment-wise he used nothing different than anyone else could have used, he just did it better.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

hmm, I like to be big!!!
    I think most of this is misunderstanding, it is a great lift, but I'd rather have all lifting done raw.

Originally posted by nejar462
    I think most of this is misunderstanding, it is a great lift, but I'd rather have all lifting done raw.

My sentiments exactly.

Wannabebig Member
    about the lift:

Nejar, I too squat commando, and I go as down until "it" hits the grown if you know what I mean, hehe.
    A big thanks to all my friends in the USA, I am deeply grateful for your hospitality and kindness.