Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Ryan Kennelly benches 800 lbs

There should not be steroids or suits, or nothing but training and eating and sleeping that should go for all sports, and that would be true sportsmanship
    A big thanks to all my friends in the USA, I am deeply grateful for your hospitality and kindness.

Originally posted by nate allan

I think the point you are missing is, that even with these aids, the athlete still has train just as hard if not harder, they have to do everything they did without them, sometimes the aids make the sport technicaly more harder.

While I don't use a shirt now, the powerlifters I have spoken to tell me while the shirts do help, they also make it so that if you make one mistake, bad liftoff, missed groove, blown shirt that will probably bomb. Notice there seems to be alot more bombs with shirt benching then without. Its not like everyone can put on a shirt and automaticly add weight to their bench, it takes hard work.
    *** Please don't assume I'm a cluless by saying I'm missing the point that they don't work as hard just because they use an aid.
    That insults my intelligence (what little I may posess it still is something). As someone who has competed competitively in sports (not powerlifting or bodybuilding yet) I'm quite aware that hard work is a prerequisite to sucess or winning.

Maybe it's a bomb because the shirt becomes a crutch to the lifter? Knowing full well that one may lift more than if they didn't have it they may decide to go heavier than usual?
    A lot of times, no matter how experienced we are, mentally we defeat ourselves by either physcing ourselves out or up too much.
    Even though I haven't placed myself in a powerlifting comp, any competitive athlete will agree with this.

That's right, not everyone always benefits from an aid but the majority does and that's who were talking about.
    Last edited by Maki Riddington; 08-12-2002 at 12:00 PM.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

Originally posted by Rock
    There should not be steroids or suits, or nothing but training and eating and sleeping that should go for all sports, and that would be true sportsmanship
    *** Only in a perfect world. It's human nature to be the best when competing. Some may do it just for the rush but with most, deep down the feeling that they are the best at what they do at that time is what matters. Whether they admit it or not. Because of this many will cut corners and do what they can to be the best regardless of the rules. That is why true sportsmanship is very rare.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

Originally posted by nate allan
    Actually, I have heard that most pro and NPC bodybuilders, either sell drugs or suck Di** to pay for there massive steriod and HGH use. How else can they afford paying tens of thousand of dollars of year on drugs. elite bodybuilding is very seedy lifestyle with lots recreational drugs, prostition, bribery and ect. You don't have that in powerlifting, there is some but nowhere near the amounts in bodybuilding.

This is for Monsterbench as well. I have competed in bodybuilding more than once. I will compete in powerlifting in the future, I guarantee it.

The difference between you and me, in my mind, is that if you state a fact, I will agree with it regardless of how distasteful it is.
    Yes, many professional and national level bodybuilders do resort to homosexual prostitution (or so I have heard) and other distasteful activites in order to finance their drug habits. So what? This does not make me feel defensive, as I never have.

As to steroids, I don't have as much of a problem with it because it is still flesh and bone lifting the weight. Enhanced flesh and bone, but flesh and bone nevertheless.

As to commenting that I prefer a raw lift vs. an assisted lift, and your comparison to that being like saying that a bodybuilder sucks dick, well I will assume you can tell the difference.

Not to take away from the thread or anything. But, does anyone else think Marion Jones is hot?

Chris, I would just like to thank you for that last post, some people on this forum think just cuz they've been in a contest they know more than everyone else or something.......
    Beachbody coaching lets you turn your hobby into a career - Beachbody

Originally posted by chris mason

This is for Monsterbench as well. I have competed in bodybuilding more than once. I will compete in powerlifting in the future, I guarantee it.

The difference between you and me, in my mind, is that if you state a fact, I will agree with it regardless of how distasteful it is.
    Yes, many professional and national level bodybuilders do resort to homosexual prostitution (or so I have heard) and other distasteful activites in order to finance their drug habits. So what? This does not make me feel defensive, as I never have.

As to steroids, I don't have as much of a problem with it because it is still flesh and bone lifting the weight. Enhanced flesh and bone, but flesh and bone nevertheless.

As to commenting that I prefer a raw lift vs. an assisted lift, and your comparison to that being like saying that a bodybuilder sucks dick, well I will assume you can tell the difference.
    First let me say that I regret bringing the above statement about bodybuilders. It really added nothing to this debate. Let me say Chris that I actually agree with you on many points. I disagree with you on the main point about powerlifting equipment, but we can agree to disagree. The Reason I have been defensive is not from anything that you think or said, you stated that you are very impressed with Ryan, but would rather see them do it Raw, and I respect that. But many of the younger lifters on here, who have little knowledge of powerlifting, and weightlifting in general, may misinterpret what you are saying. Many of the younger lifters on here look up to guys like you, maki, belial and ect, and they should. All of you have alot of knowledge and the results to show, but I think many as have some posts already shown, have taken that somehow powerlifting is all about equipment and that anything we do should not be respected. Look at some of the posts by the younger members, the Rock for example in my opinion has been very disrepectful to powerlifting, he seems to think that everything is equipment and steriods, and there is so much more to it then that.

I did not mean to disrespect Maki in a post above, while I quoted you, my target was more towards guys like Rock and some of the younger members.

Originally posted by Goin_Big
    Not to take away from the thread or anything. But, does anyone else think Marion Jones is hot?

Chris, I would just like to thank you for that last post, some people on this forum think just cuz they've been in a contest they know more than everyone else or something.......

No, I don't find marion Jones Hot

As far as the comment that was directed at benchmonster, I think that BM contest experience add alot to his knowledge. He also probabley the most experienced and knowlegable powerlifter on this board, and I respect him alot. He adds alot to this board. while I don't want speak for him, the reason i think he gets so defensive, is that he constantly has to deal with punks who come on all the powerlifting boards who know absolutely nothing about it, and flame and disrespect us. it gets real tiring after awhile, he does not want this board to be the same, he does not want to defend equipment every time he posts his accomplishments nor do any other powerlifter.

Yea, but, Marion Jones is hot whether you think so or not

As for the equipment thing, I didn't make any comments on equipment, so please don't call me a punk. It's ok to hide behind your keyboard and talk smack if it makes you feel like a big man, but please start it with someone who cares.

As for this topic. Personally, I don't use extra equipment out of preference, as I want all my lifts to be raw strength. If you wanna use equipment, I guess it's your choice.

Oh yea, I forgot to add, she made that running suit look good

Yea, but, Marion Jones is hot whether you think so or not

As for the equipment thing, I didn't make any comments on equipment, so please don't call me a punk. It's ok to hide behind your keyboard and talk smack if it makes you feel like a big man, but please start it with someone who cares.

As for this topic. Personally, I don't use extra equipment out of preference, as I want all my lifts to be raw strength. If you wanna use equipment, I guess it's your choice.
    Again I quoted you, I did not say your name, had I meant you I would have said you, I did say OTHER BOARDS, with the exception of member who uses a certian wrestler/actor's name this board is free of them.
    Last edited by nate allan; 08-12-2002 at 09:31 PM.

alrighty then, my bad, misread your post

will you just admit she's hot already!!!!

alrighty then, my bad, misread your post

will you just admit she's hot already!!!!

sorry, I just don't find her attractive. her face nor her body do anything for me.

Well, I finally found something I disagree with Nate Allen about.

I FIND MARIAN JONES SMOKIN HOT!!!

And nate hit the nail on the head about why I got defensive about this whole thread. If this was the first time I had heard this equipment debate, I would not be so defensive about it, but it ain't even the 100th time I have heard it, and it gets old really fast.

I ain't raw and I ain't clean. You young guys like the Rock that don't like that, well, tough. I don't do the things I do to please you. I do them to please me.

And despite what non-competitors (weight trainers) think to the contrary, being a competitive athlete does make a difference. No I don't know everything, nor have I ever claimed to. George Halbert lifts on occasion at 220, which is the weight class I am usually lifting in, and he is over 200 lbs ahead of me on the bench. He has done 733 at 220, best bench in history by formula, and he doesn't know everything either.

But he does know a little something, cause when he started training at Westside Barbell, he was benching 475. Very impressive. Within a year he had done over 600. Think maybe he knew a little more about benching when he did 600 than when he did 475? How about now that he is over 700?

13 months ago I entered my first meet, never having powerlifted, and not having trained like one. I benched 355 on my 3rd attempt and weighed in at 215. Since then I have put over 150 lbs on my bench. I personally know much more now than I did then. I don't know everything, but I do know some.

I was invited by a longstanding member of this board to come over here and try to contribute some knowledge of powerlifting and strength gaining. I did not even know this place existed till I was recruited. I try to add what little I can, and on this chat board, I get flamed for it.

I got pissed when that happened, and I should not have. I am new here, and if this is the way this board operates then I will have to either like it, or go to freindlier boards.

B.

Originally posted by benchmonster
    I FIND MARIAN JONES SMOKIN HOT!!!
    'nuff said.

MulletII - AKA Ninja Boner Gyno Rhino's Avatar
    This thread is becoming retarded.
    Founding Member and CEO of the FFFA

"All that matters is beauty on the inside! Outside beauty doesn't matter!"
    ~This is something ugly people say to feel better about themselves...

"Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"
    ~This is something wussy people say to feel better about themselves...

Pearls of Wisdom...

Resident Ninja Demon (with a pet Radioactive Sloth) and SchlonkeyMaster of WBB!

Rock is my 'Big Viking Brother', and not in a homo-esque way.

And no COLON jokes, bastards!

so what, you're retarded and we let you post here

anyways, what was the point of this thread???

Oh yea, Kennelly got an awesome lift, we should congratulate hime

MulletII - AKA Ninja Boner Gyno Rhino's Avatar
    He is a monster. He accomplished something amazing. We're all damned impressed.

I think that that sums it up.
    Founding Member and CEO of the FFFA

"All that matters is beauty on the inside! Outside beauty doesn't matter!"
    ~This is something ugly people say to feel better about themselves...

"Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"
    ~This is something wussy people say to feel better about themselves...

Pearls of Wisdom...

Resident Ninja Demon (with a pet Radioactive Sloth) and SchlonkeyMaster of WBB!

Rock is my 'Big Viking Brother', and not in a homo-esque way.

And no COLON jokes, bastards!

BenchMonster, you are the strongest dude on this site, all respect to you, I hope you make it and make WBB famous!, like wear a WBB t-shirt on your meets, hehe, its just in my little norwegian gym I hadnt heard about suits, but now I do, and thats how it works.
    Last edited by Rock; 08-13-2002 at 11:45 AM.
    A big thanks to all my friends in the USA, I am deeply grateful for your hospitality and kindness.

In Rock's defense, he is only 17. In addition, I agree with a lot of his points. Steroids have ruined what was at one time, more or less, a healthy pursuit.

There is one problem Rock, you are always bitching about steroid use in one breath, then loving Arnold in another. That is a dichotomy you need to resolve.