The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Ryan Kennelly benches 800 lbs

Ryan Kennelly becomes the first person to officially bench 800lbs.

Congratulation Ryan!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

That is really cool, but I have a greater respect for guys like Glen Cabot who bench raw. I have no idea what Ryan could do without the aid of a shirt, and as shirts help some more than others, I have no valid basis for comparison.

goddamn that is heavy
    'you cant avoid confrontation in life. it just makes things more trouble down the road. sometimes you have to look at the bull and say "f--k you bull" and grab that bull by the horns'

-Shane

Genetic Experiment GeneticallyGifted's Avatar
    Stockholm, Sweden...Mainly, New York,New York, Los Angeles,CA., Civitinova Marche, Italy

Piggy Backin' again.

Originally posted by chris mason
    That is really cool, but I have a greater respect for guys like Glen Cabot who bench raw. I have no idea what Ryan could do without the aid of a shirt, and as shirts help some more than others, I have no valid basis for comparison.
    I have to go with chris on this one. How can you stand up and say that you really benched this weight by yourself if you wear a shirt which aids you in your lifts?? More respect for the common man that bench raw.
    STATS COMING SOON:Age: 29 | Height: 5'10" | Weight: 78KG/ 172LBS| bf: |Years Training:?? | All-natural: Yes|

Chest: | Shoulders: | Upper Arm: | Forearm: |
    Waist: |Neck:| Upper Thigh: | Calf: |

Personal Bests: COMING SOON:
    Flat Barbell Presses: | Dips: |Wide-grip Palms Away: |
    Military Barbell Press: |Barbell Squats: |

I wannabebig!
    well whats the heaviest weight benched raw?

365,4kg Antohny something from the philipines.
    A big thanks to all my friends in the USA, I am deeply grateful for your hospitality and kindness.

3:16
    anthony clark
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

Anthony clark did not bench raw, he used bench shirts, and used a reverse grip which is widely illegal in most federations.

Jamie hendeson has the raw record at 711lbs.

geneticaly you could put on all the equipment you want and you would never be able to hold 800lbs.

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Congrats to Ryan. From everyone I have talked to who has ever met him, he is very down to earth and a good guy. He trains very hard and deseved to get the weight first.

Anyone who says anything about the equipment, I'd like to see you in the strongest equipment ever invented handle 800 lbs. In his training before this meet he was regularly locking out 800lbs in preparation for the lift. HE wasn't wearing a shirt for those.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 515 SQ 295 BE 570 DL.....1375 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    515 SQ 302.5 BE 585 DL

he wasnt, well then I guess he is the man, until I am 25!eh..hehe
    A big thanks to all my friends in the USA, I am deeply grateful for your hospitality and kindness.

yeah man, whats up with the haters....................**respect**
    -deFenDeRs oF thE unDerRateD

If it doesnt make dollars, then it doesnt make sense

I never knew how skinny I was untill I started gaining a little weight

The Bottom Line
    Sorry but what does benching with the aid of a shirt mean?
    Change is good.

Shirt pfffff.....my shirt says everlast it doesnt add anything to my bench, you can either bench 800 lbs or you can't, the shirt just wrapped tightly around his chest making him feel secure as he bench pressed you and your whole family.

Props to Ryan Kenelly.
    Horns: 36 inches
    BodyWeight: 1650Llbs
    Canines: 12 inches
    Current bench press: Nissan 300zx (8 reps)

"Mate I will bench press you and your whole family." - Typhon (Australian Powerlifting Champ)

My point, misconstrued as usual, was that he cannot bench the weight raw, pure and simple. What he can bench raw none of us know. Unless we are morons and think the shirts do not aid the lifts, then we must assume he can lift something less than 800 lbs. Again, how much less, who knows? That was my point. To me, I want to know how much a guy lifts raw for the simple reason that shirts can aid some lifters more than others, thus fogging up a valid comparison (in my mind) between 2 athletes. Obviously it was a great lift, and he has benched more than anyone else with a shirt. Obviously he is extremely strong.

penis envy.

Originally posted by Victor
    Sorry but what does benching with the aid of a shirt mean?
    There are special "shirts" that many powerlifters use to enhance their lifts. These shirts are made of various materials. The shirts are such that they make it impossible for a lifter (in general) to lower a barbell to his chest without a considerable load on the bar. These shirts vary in their aid to the lift depending on thickness etc. The different organized powerlifting bodies have varying regulations as to what sort of shirts they will allow.

As an example of what they can do for your lift, I read a bio on a female powerlifter recently where she stated that her bench shirt added 100 lbs to her bench. Quite a difference, eh?

MACHINE
    I used a bench shirt when I powerlifted, as well as a squat suit and other legal powerlifting aides. Most meets allow this equipment, so most records you see are with the equipment. The less weight you are able to press, the more the equipment helps. When you get that heavy, the shirt helps very little. Regardless of the weight pressed, the elasticity of the shirt stays the same. My shirt added about 25 lbs to my bench.
    "He's the best damn rollerskater that ever lived...probably in the whole town" - Chris Pontius

If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with.

5'10" 215 lbs
    Personal Bests:
    Bench 355
    Squat 505
    Deadlift 560

Bespoke Super Mod
    Congrats. to Ryan

Here is a video of the lift:-
    http://www.deepsquatter.com/images/Ryan800.mpg
    "A + B + C = Success if, A = Hard Work, B = Hard Play, C = Keeping your mouth shut" -Albert
    Einstein

I've always gone to the gym with the conviction that I'll be the hardest working mother****er in the joint. Make that your credo, and hope we don't lift at the same place.
    -- Adam Fahy

"Fran is a double-hard bastard"- Clint Brewer 31/12/02

Genetic Experiment GeneticallyGifted's Avatar
    Stockholm, Sweden...Mainly, New York,New York, Los Angeles,CA., Civitinova Marche, Italy
    I think he is incredibly strong and that is something that I may never in life do, but amazing as it is, its still with an aid. Don't get me wrong I'm still like "DAMN" and the props and due respect are given, but its still aided.

Just like wraps for Deads. Why aren't they used why are they illegal??

I really never new powerlifters used aids until coming to this site. I always thought it was raw. It changes your views...just alittle.
    STATS COMING SOON:Age: 29 | Height: 5'10" | Weight: 78KG/ 172LBS| bf: |Years Training:?? | All-natural: Yes|

Chest: | Shoulders: | Upper Arm: | Forearm: |
    Waist: |Neck:| Upper Thigh: | Calf: |

Personal Bests: COMING SOON:
    Flat Barbell Presses: | Dips: |Wide-grip Palms Away: |
    Military Barbell Press: |Barbell Squats: |

Oops, I posted something on this in the training forum ... never saw this thread ... please ignore my post in the training forum ... I'm an idiot.

hmm, I like to be big!!!
    still totally crazy 800 lb bench, im sure raw he could still do about 700 or so, which is still awesome.
    Chris Mason is my master.....

American cars are like fat people, sure, they have a lot of power, but they're not built well, and they have all that useless weight, plus they make both make funny noises.

feel free to aim me, nejar462 im on a lot. Don't know much to warn you dudes, but im good at conversations.

Belial in reference to Ronnie Coleman, "Some people say he still has blood in his steroid stream, but I doubt it. Gas isn't one of the side effects, but that massive bloated overly muscular freak of nature circus sideshow appearance might be what tips most people off."

3:16
    he looked like he could lift a bit more as well.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

It looks like those guys on the sides helped more than abit :\
    Stats
    5'10,185-190lbs, 12-16%bf

hmm, I like to be big!!!
    o ****, if you watch the tape it does look like they guys on the side help him a little. Maybe its just a shadow i hope.
    Chris Mason is my master.....

American cars are like fat people, sure, they have a lot of power, but they're not built well, and they have all that useless weight, plus they make both make funny noises.

feel free to aim me, nejar462 im on a lot. Don't know much to warn you dudes, but im good at conversations.

Belial in reference to Ronnie Coleman, "Some people say he still has blood in his steroid stream, but I doubt it. Gas isn't one of the side effects, but that massive bloated overly muscular freak of nature circus sideshow appearance might be what tips most people off."

Senior of Kinesiology
    If you watch their hands you can see that they dont touch it until the top. Amazing strenght.
    Last edited by Scooby-Doo; 08-06-2002 at 04:06 PM.
    Meet PR: 290lb bench press, 505lb dead lift @ 190lbs

Current Training: Yoga and Weightlifting

5'11'', Male, 175lbs, age 22