The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Better Tri Builder: CG Bench or Board Press?

What are everyone's thoughts on the better tricep builder, full ROM close grip bench or board presses? Which would you choose for size and which would you choose for strength .... or does one of them work better for both purposes? Just something I was thinking about and wanted some other opinions.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I wannabebig!
    id choose close grip only cuz i dont really know what board presses are well I have somewhat of an idea

CG bench and skulls/french presses will make your tri's quite large.......and of course dips are great, but I do those for chest......

do both, boards will 'isolate' your tri's more but the ROM is limited obviously.
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

CG presses, and Skull Crushers.
    Cutting Cycle 02/04'

Go with skulls.

Originally posted by MonStar
    Go with skulls.
    I do skulls, that wasn't one of the choices. I do both CG and board presses already, just wanted to see which one others preferred. For the close grip benchers, have you ever done board presses?

I like CG bench.

I dont know then because I have never tried board presses. I can imagine that board presses would be great for your triceps though because of the lockouts. I always felt CG bench in my pecs as well as my triceps.

does skull crusher = french press?
    "Poor is the pupil that does not surpass the master"

Skullcrushers I believe = lying French presses. I maybe wrong though.

Jack's Utter Surprise Saturday Fever's Avatar
    Why not just use proper form on your bench and incline so you hit your triceps amply? And give up direct arm work. If you're benching with proper form, and throwing in some dips, your triceps will get ample work.

By proper form, I'm referring to having your arms shoulder width apart and your elbows in, to be short.

Using proper form (which, by the way, shouldn't be generalized) isn't the issue. I do use proper form when benching, but I was specifically asking people which they preferred for triceps, close grip benching or board pressing.

EVO....Skulls are lying down, french presses are seated

Otter.....Could you explain exactly what a board press is or send a link? I'm not quite sure on this..........

A board press is done with either 2,3,4, or 5 boards (2x6's in lenths of about 12"). You position the boards on your chest and bring the bar down to the boards and press up. It limits the ROM on a regular bench press and isolates the lockout, which primarily targets the triceps. It puts a lot more emphasis on the tris directly whereas in a regular bench press you go through a range of targets, delts, pecs, and then triceps. These allow you to put more weight and power into your lockouts, which puts added stress on the triceps. A great movement for building lockout strength, but I've been seeing great gains in size as well from these.

Simplistic
    I would say CGBP would be better. I personally think tri's get plenty of work from any pressing move and direct work isn't necessary.

I've been getting good results lately with decline dumbell tricep extensions first up, awesome stretch, and then doing Close grip Bench presses - I do the CGB with 2 different styles, couple sets I lower to my collar bone, elbows out to the side, this really stretches the tris, and couple sets I lower to my sternum as per normal.

Come to think of it, I should just alternate between the two styles workout to workout to keep my Triceps guessing

My Tris are weak, and they coming up fast now!
    Last edited by Blitzforce; 08-05-2002 at 01:20 PM.