The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: muscle memory

Canadian
    what is muscle memory?
    i've heard stories of people who stopped working out, lost alot of muscle and then were able to gain it back quickly after training resumed.
    is there some physiological explanation for this?
    "Discipline is never an end itself, only a means to an end." - Robert Fripp

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Although Chris will disagree with me, I believe its because of the fascia surounding the muscle.. it has previously been stretched and therefore, it is easier to regain muscle mass after having loss some.
    Eat Tuna!
    "Ya don't touch my tuna, I don't kill you."- by Tuna Master
    "Part of getting what you want is knowing what you have to give up." - by who knows. ME? Eat Tuna!
    My Journal - My FitDay -

I always thought that muscle memory was the way that your muscles would rememeber how to do their function after they got screwed. e.g. people who get 'paralysed' for X amount of time eventually regain their walking ability etc...
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

Muscle memory is when after a layoff from training we gain rapidly until we are to our previous level of development and then we will usually gain beyond that.

For anyone that thinks so, this is not a myth.

When a muscle grows (through training) the amount of nuclei it has will increase, which is possible because satellite cells donate their nuclei to muscle cells through differentiation. When we discontinue weight training, there is still an increased number of nuclei present, but there is no mRNA released, so they do not have the signal required for them to rebuild.

Combine this with a nervous system already optimized for muscle growth and you get rapid growth.

There is also another factor here, in which a certain protein (MHC IIX) will multiply during layoffs and further raise the potential for muscle growth.

Periodic layoffs from training may increase your potential for muscle size increases, something to think about if you are not progressing in the gym - taking some time off (2-4 weeks) just may take your training to a new level.

So if i stop lifting right now for 10 years i can re-start and get to this size a lot quicker?
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

It would depend on how long the extra nuclei stick around, which is not exactly known.

There has been one study showing that the extra nuclei were all still present after a 3 month layoff.

The MHC IIX proteins will always be there, they multiply during layoffs because there is always the threat of weight training stress in the future.

What size?

I'll be frank and state that I am unsure of the science behind this issue, but what Cack has to say sounds plausible.

well this is what i thought:

when you train, you work your muscles, but you also work your nervous system; since neurological adaption takes twice as long as muscle adaptation, after a lay off your brain already knows this stimulis you give it, as well as function, amount of fibres to recruit...

so basically i always thought that when coming from a layoff, all your doing is training for muscular adaptaion and not neurological, which in turn makes you build muscle faster.

sort of like riding a bike, once your brain has adapted, no matter how long the layoff, you still know how to ride it.

does this make scence?, i have no science background so i cant give terms.
    "The harder you train, the harder it is to give up" ~Vince Lombardi~

Your thoughts are inaccurate, although not far off base. When you stop training, you nervous system will "atrophy" (for a lack of a better word) much like the muscular system. So, when you resume training, your nervous system will have to re-adapt to the exercises, although it will not take as long as the first time. Adaptation of the nervous system does not take twice as long as muscular adaptation. When you return to training you are obviously training for muscular adaptation because your muscles have shrunk, so I have no idea what you are talking about here ?

Cack, you sound like Mentzer, I've got to read your posts twice to understand them
    Keep it simple

Originally posted by chris mason
    Your thoughts are inaccurate, although not far off base. When you stop training, you nervous system will "atrophy" (for a lack of a better word) much like the muscular system. So, when you resume training, your nervous system will have to re-adapt to the exercises, although it will not take as long as the first time. Adaptation of the nervous system does not take twice as long as muscular adaptation. When you return to training you are obviously training for muscular adaptation because your muscles have shrunk, so I have no idea what you are talking about here ?

i dont know, i just gave it a shot
    "The harder you train, the harder it is to give up" ~Vince Lombardi~