Thread: Did board presses for the first time.

Did board presses for the first time.

Did board presses for the first time today and they felt pretty good. Aside from some form problems, bad spotting, and getting used to the increased weight the day went fairly well.

I no longer post in my journal, so decided to post this here

Here is how today went

3 board press
    135x10
    185x5
    225x5
    265x1 very easy
    300x1 still very easy
    315x1 easy
    325x1 easy
    335x1 little heavy going down, but went up easy
    345xmiss damn spotter toughed the bar as I was going up, would have probably got it.
    345xmiss felt shakey right from the lift off, felt very heavy, brought the bar way to high on the board and couldn't even move the bar a little.
    295x3 all three reps went up easy

i really liked these, especially since i have strong triceps, and short arms. I feel I could do alot more once i get used to the weight and get them form down right.

Yeah, they're great, aren't they? I like the fact that they allow your body to become accustomed to handling the heavies. I started with the 3 board but have since started doing a lot more work off of 4 ... but I'm rotating every other week or so. What kind of grip did you use?

That is very impressive nate. Good numbers. Make sure to do some other sort of M.E. exercise next week, then rotate back to the boards. I do boards every other week, rotating between 2 and 3 boards, going up to 400ish before putting on a shirt, then keep going till I miss.

I went a long time going full range bench (incline, decline, floor, flat bench) one week, and partial (rack lockouts, board press) the next week. I basically still do this now. Going boards every other week.

Make sure and hammer the tris and get in a lot of upper back work as well. Sounds like you are a very strong guy.

B.

Originally posted by benchmonster
    That is very impressive nate. Good numbers. Make sure to do some other sort of M.E. exercise next week, then rotate back to the boards. I do boards every other week, rotating between 2 and 3 boards, going up to 400ish before putting on a shirt, then keep going till I miss.

I went a long time going full range bench (incline, decline, floor, flat bench) one week, and partial (rack lockouts, board press) the next week. I basically still do this now. Going boards every other week.

Make sure and hammer the tris and get in a lot of upper back work as well. Sounds like you are a very strong guy.

B.
    Thanks, But I don't consider myself strong at all. There are guys here who could easily outlift me.

my lifts are
    310 bench raw
    305 squat
    440 deadlift

I plan on buying a bench shirt in the near future, I would like to bench 350 raw first, which is a personal goal of mine.

My biggest weakness seems to be speed, even though I due speed bench. I also seem to have trouble recovering from my ME day to my speed day, the speed suffers from lack of recovery and some elbow pain when doing dynamic work. I am thinking about doing speed only every other week.
    Last edited by nate allan; 08-06-2002 at 09:49 AM.

If you are natural, you may have trouble getting in 4 workouts per week. Try lifting every other day rather than the prescribed 4 per week. See if that helps.

Also make sure you are doing feeder workouts. Very important for recovery. I could not train the way I do without the feeder workouts.

And go ahead and get the shirt. You will get to a raw 350 much faster if you are doing shirt work than you will without it. BTW, I never ever go over 350 raw. It is simply too dangerous and injuries are very counterproductive.

Just a thought on that last one. Some can do a ton raw, but I cannot, and have no interest in getting injured.

B.

layin up against a dumpster in a 100 dollar jumper, smothered in southern comfort.
    eh, 4 workouts a week is possible, I'm natural, I don't even supplement, and I ain't had any problems with it

I never said it was not possible. Read my post again. I said you may have trouble with it. That is a far cry from saying it is impossible.

Accipiter, you are also not lifting the insane amounts of weight that you will be doing in a few years, and the more weight you lift, the harder it is to recover.

B.

layin up against a dumpster in a 100 dollar jumper, smothered in southern comfort.
    yeah, good point...

Somebody want to show me how you do a board press, what muscles does it work? Or is there another name for it that i might know it by.
    Cutting Cycle 02/04'

lie down on a bench, put some 2x6 or 2x4 boards (wood) stacked up on your chest (i hold mine together with a strap) with the length of the boards running top to bottom of your torso (not across your body that is).

now using your triceps as your primary movers, do a barbell press while keeping your elbows in and bringing the bar down to your lower chest (mid torso)... pause for 1-2 seconds (release your tension and let the boards mostly hold the bar) and then press it back up while keeping your elbows as close to your sides as possible and keeping your forearms perpendicular to the floor.

Hard to get used to but the somewhat different form that most ppl are used to (i.e. the regular elbows out "pec" bench press) is not near as potentially efficient or potentially strong as this method (elbows in "tricep" bench press).

www.elitefts.com goto articles, goto 9 week basic training

anybody got pics to it?
    Cutting Cycle 02/04'

no but i have a video archive link > http://www.growordie.com/

nightop, do I know you? under a different handle maybe?

Or are you a friend of Tommy?

B.

Oh, and sense nithtop linked to growordie.com if anyone here is real interested in seeing some board presses, there are examples of Irishpower doing board presses on that site.

Also if you dig around, you can find some video clips of me and my crew doing reverse band board presses. I have a clip, I think it is number 9 of a 600 lbs reverse band board press. Number 10 was with 650, which was locked out, but I could not rack it without help, so it was not as pretty.

Go to training, then hit parent directory, then others then benchmonster.

B.

sorry bench, this is my only handle and I don't know yall but I've been referred to growordie by a PL buddy of mine on another board.... keep up the good work bro.

OK. I thought maybe Tommy had changed his handle. I thought you were saying the growordie site was "your" archive. The guy who runs that site is a buddy of mine named Tommy.

Well, nice to meet you.

B.

Bench -- did he actually spot for Kennelly's 800 or was he just at the meet?

He lifted at that meet, so I doubt he spotted for him, but it is possible, I suppose. I also know Kennely's training partner, who was not able to make the trip for the 800, I beleive.

He goes by Musclehead275 and he is a freak of nature.

Kennely has one of the most impressive, imposing physiques I have ever seen, BTW. And obviously is pretty strong too.

B.

no.. sorry if i made it sound like that was my archive, but conincedentally (sp?) my name is Tom and yes its nice to meet ya.