Thread: lateral raises

I wannabebig!

lateral raises

How does everyone do these... I personally try and keep my arms straight as possible as i raise them out (not bending the elbow) but I see quite a few who keep a bend in their elbows as they do them. is there a correct way?

I do tehm the way you do.
    "damn...can't beat logic like that.
    NAte is exactly right." - Tryska

I use heavier weights and do them explosively.

the kid from oz
    i do them the same as you with straight arms how ever for the last few reps its hard to keep my arms straight cos the weight gets heavy

I don't have my elbow locked or anything, but my arms remain virtually straight.
    "As far as drugs were concerned, all my bodybuilding heroes were on everything but roller skates."

In Memphis, it is illegal for a woman to drive by herself, unless a man is walking or running infront of the vehicle, waving a red flag in order to warn approaching pedestrians and motorists.

I do use the bend on the elbows. Cause i find it easier on the joints. And I could lift more too. But mainly just cause of the pain i get from doing it straight.
    Cutting Cycle 02/04'

It seems to me as just a matter of leverage, as the upper arm follows the same path either way. I do them arms straight, and if I want I can bend the elbows a bit and force a few extra reps.

Ditto what Lettuce Face said.

Light weight lateral raises are useless I find. Bump up the weight til on your last set you have to cheat on the final 3 reps.
    Then you KNOW your pushing yourself...

Once you start cheating, you'll have a hard time keeping locked elbows, and you'll learn that locking them isn't as important as you may think.

I used to think lateral raises w/ light weights where useless until I started using a tempo of 5-2-5-1

MACHINE
    Originally posted by geoffgarcia
    Light weight lateral raises are useless I find. Bump up the weight til on your last set you have to cheat on the final 3 reps.
    Then you KNOW your pushing yourself...

If the path of the upper arm is the same, it doesn't matter how you do them, and the results will be no different. The object is to stimulate the medial head of the delt - knowing this, if you fail at 8 reps with 25 lb dumbells and straight arms, and then 8 reps with 40 lb dumbells and bent arms, which one placed more stress on the medial head of the delt? Neither, the stress on the target muscle is the same either way, hence the 8 rep failure with both styles. Personally, I do mine with straight arms, using a style most of you probably haven't seen before. I let my wrists go limp(*insert joke here*), flare my lats, lock my shoulders in place, and then raise my arms out to the side, but a little bit forward as well. My fingers simply act as hooks for the dumbell - I don't grasp them tightly.
    "He's the best damn rollerskater that ever lived...probably in the whole town" - Chris Pontius

If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with.

5'10" 215 lbs
    Personal Bests:
    Bench 355
    Squat 505
    Deadlift 560

layin up against a dumpster in a 100 dollar jumper, smothered in southern comfort.
    I do them with my arms bent at the elbow to about 75 degrees. It doesn't matter how you bend your elbow, as long as your upper arm remains at the same angle. I like it better bent because I can do more weight, and I don't have to worry about hurting my elbows like I do when I keep the weight straight out. Hurts my wrists more too if my arms are straight