Thread: 90 min workout too long?

Raise The Fist

90 min workout too long?

I currently work out 3-4 times a week, and my split is as follows:

Monday: Chest/Biceps
    Wednesday: Back/Triceps
    Friday: Shoulders/Legs

During one of those days I may do abs, or I might go to the gym another day just do to abs on their own.

My question is that my Mon/Wed/Fri workouts are all about 90 mins long, and I was wondering if this is too long, as many say that you shouldnt workout more than an hour max.

Should i change my schedule so i do less exercises per day and train on more days per week, or are 90 minute workouts ok.

I would cut it down to 45 to 50 minutes. But that is me. I have a 4 day split .... look here: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...threadid=17722

I had much better results after I cut my workouts from 1.5 to 2 hours down to 30-45 minutes.

I'll let someone more knowledgable than me talk about the body chemistry reasons why not to workout more than an hour.

Dave

layin up against a dumpster in a 100 dollar jumper, smothered in southern comfort.
    90 minutes long? for that split? I have one that's legs/shoulders chest/tri's back/bi's and the leg day ran the longest at roughly 65 minutes, till I took shrugs and put them on back day, now it's like 55 minutes

Pretty Fly for an Old Guy W8_4_Me's Avatar
    Seems a bit long... How much time are ya taking between sets? Just chipping of 30 seconds here and there will help bring your time down.
    "A winner...knows how much he still has to learn, even when he is considered an expert by others; A loser...wants to be considered an expert by others, before he has even learned enough to know how little he knows." - Sydney Harris

"It takes a big man to cry, and an even BIGGER man to laugh at that man!" - Jack Handey

"It's simple. If it jiggles, it's fat." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

Wannabebig Member
    whats wrong with a long workout?
    nicholas j daigle

I love cats
    Originally posted by slicknick70339
    whats wrong with a long workout?
    Its probably either too high of volume and causing overtraining, or too low of intensity because the rest peroids are too high.

Equal Opportunity Offender Budiak's Avatar
    Precisely. I lost a looot of fat when I had lots of sets and 2 hour workouts, but I didnt gain any muscle. I shortened up my workouts, did low vol and started doing cardio in the morning instead, with no diet change, and I started to build muscle. Slowly, but surely.

Chances are you're just messing around or talking in the gym, thats why the workouts are so long. Put down the magazine and lift.

Wannabebig Member
    thanks for the info
    nicholas j daigle

Raise The Fist
    actually i try to finish my workout as fast as i can, and normally dont talk to anyone, just say a casual "hi"

im not sure exactly how long i rest between sets, but it shouldnt be more than a minute, as my heart rate is still quite high when i hit the next set.

I do about 7-8 exercises each session (excluding abs), and it takes me about 10 mins max on each exercise (including the rest period after the last set). I usually spend about 10 mins on the bike or treadmill before I hit the weights, so that adds to the time too.

I do 4 sets of 8 on each exercise, and i think im taking too long because I do a lot of negative reps, which takes longer, as I take about 4-5 secs in lowering the weight.
    Do you think this is too long? some ppl told me it is, but i feel it really works for me.

The only way i think i can really reduce the duration of my workouts is by exercising only one muscle group each day, which means I'll have to workout 5-6 times a week.

Also, I would like to ask u guys if exercising each muscle group just once a week is sufficient for muscle growth, or is it not enough?
    I used to exercise each muscle group twice a week, but I must admit that I feel better, have more energy and progress more with just once a week.

Lastly, do u think my training split is ok? or should i change the mixture of the exercises (like doing chest with triceps and back with biceps for example)
    "If you tremble with indignation at every injustice then you are a comrade of mine." - Che
    "I know you've come to kill me. Shoot, coward, you're only going to kill a man" - Che
    "Democracy today is the same as in the days of ancient Greece, freedom for the slave owners."
    - Lenin

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    7-8 exercises with 4 sets of eight is far too much volume. You will overtrain with that number of sets and exercises. Cut your workload (sets and exercises) by about half. Do negative reps ONLY on the last set of each exercise. I'm not a fan of negative reps, but if you must do them....
    And yes exercising each muscle group once a week is sufficent for growth (assuming you get enough sleep, food, and intensity).

Raise The Fist
    ok thnx for the reply ExtremeAnabolic

how many exercises do you recommend per muscle group?

currently i do 4 for chest, 5 for back, 3 for biceps, 3 for triceps, 5 for shoulders, 6 for legs and 3 for abs.

my only concern is that if i reduce the exercises i do per bodypart, i dont think ill work my muscles enough to stimulate growth.
    "If you tremble with indignation at every injustice then you are a comrade of mine." - Che
    "I know you've come to kill me. Shoot, coward, you're only going to kill a man" - Che
    "Democracy today is the same as in the days of ancient Greece, freedom for the slave owners."
    - Lenin

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    It is not the number of sets or exercises that stimulates the muscle to grow, it is the intensity that makes the muscle grow. For example if you did 20 sets of chest presses with 2 lb dumbells, would you expect your chest to grow doing that? Intensity (my definition) is lifting heavy and with absolute focus on the targeted area. Heavy (for most people) is the 6-10 rep range where the weight is heavy enough so that they can just complete 10 reps.
    As for exercises, I hesitate to recommend a certain number for a muscle group as every person is different. I can recommend exercises that work however. For chest do bench presses and dips. For back deadlifts and chins. For biceps, the standing barbell curl. For triceps close-grip bench press . For legs squats and leg presses. For abs, do crunches and the leg raise.
    Be aware that when you work your chest, you are also working your triceps and shoulders, so you do not need to do a lot of extra exercises for the triceps. Also keep in mind when you are working the back, you are also working the shoulders and biceps. Therefore one or two exercises at most should be done for biceps to avoid overtraining them. Shoulders are indirectly trained twice a week (on chest and back day). If you give them their own day, you will be working your shoulders three days a week. This is a sure road to ruin for many people. Three days a week will even wear down a superman's shoulders in time. Shoulder injuries are the #1 cause of injury in weight trainers and that's no concidence. Sorry for the long post, I was trying to cover a number of issues, and got carried away.

Seems a bit long to me. I like to keep my workouts under an hour, under 45 minutes if I can. Get in the gym, go heavy and intense as hell, and get the f*ck out and recuperate. Thats been my philosophy for a while I have been getting good results with it.

Raise The Fist
    ok thnx a lot guys..ill try and re-organise my training schedule then to keep my workouts as short as possible.
    - Lenin