The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Energizer Bunnie

A slight inconvenience......

Hello there,

I have been having a few challenges with my running in the last few months as my right hip has begun to get sore. I have noticed more recently though that when I run, I have been getting pains at the top of my right calf (on the side of my leg) just beneath my knee cap.... when I jog.

Seems that the fitter I become, the more ailments I attract.....

I have decided to give running a break for about a month and do spinning classes instead. Has anybody had a similar experience?
    All recommendations welcome...

Cheers,

Franjipani

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

A. F.
    maybe you have some liquid that has gathered in your knee?

just an opinion.. i have that problem with my right wrist and i'm only 19

It's probably your shoes. The right shoes make all the difference in running. When I would train for distance I could always tell when I needed to get new shoes. I'd start aching right under my kneecap. I'd get new shoes and the pain would be gone. Your biomechanics...how your foot turns and how you run, also have a lot to do with it which is why it's important to get good shoes. Everybody's different so this may not be the case for you. The hip problem is probably similar. How long have you had the shoes? Are they "real" running shoes? There's also a series of stretches that are great for hip injuries and pains. PM me if you want more info. Cheers and good luck. Oh, and welcome.

Way below radar
    Somewhere between cognitive dissonance and the egocentric dilemma
    Yup, check your shoes...make sure they are specifically designed for running AND fit your feet and your gait. The wrong shoes or shoes with not enough cushioning can really wreak havoc on your feet and legs.

Try alternating Spinning with running...I did a lot of Spinning when I was rehabbing a knee injury and couldn't run. I kept all of my cardio fitness throughout my rehab and even added to it. It's a great interval cardio workout, gives your joints a rest from the pounding of running, and is a good complement to running b/c biking primarily stresses the quads while running works the hamstrings. Many elite runners/bikers cross-train with the other activity just for this reason.

Also, with running, make sure not to do too much too soon. Increase mileage or time by about 10% a week only. Your joints as well as muscles need time to adapt along with your heart and lungs. Most people try to progress too quickly and end up with injuries or just burnout on it b/c it ceases to be fun.

Good luck!

I could give all to Time except - except
    What I myself have held. But why declare
    The things forbidden that while the Customs slept
    I have crossed to Safety with? For I am There,
    And what I would not part with I have kept.

--Robert Frost

Energizer Bunnie
    Thanks for all the invaluable advice guys !!!

IceRgrrl & ectx - my shoes are obviously due for a change.....will do that ASAP and see if that makes any difference.... I need a clean break from running as I've done some damage in other areas of my leg (compensating for the real issue - after getting remedial massage the main culprit is that I am pronating on my right foot and extremely tight in my calves...... ).

Just need to find something else that will give me the same rush as running does...

Thanks again !

Fran, Don't give up running cuz you overpronate, get a motion control shoe. Try the Brooks Beast or the Adidas Piedmonts. Great shoes. You can get your gate analyzed at a good running store or clinic. There's one in most major cities. Also STRETCH before and after for a good 5 to 10 min total (at least). If you're smart about your training, you can do it forever (I wasn't so here I am, unable to run for more than 45 min's straight). and like IceRgrrl said, add cycling to the mix. good luck.

For me running is a form of repetitive stress injury. It doesn't matter what surface, what shoe, what warmup, what schedule. Sooner or later the pounding on the ground results in chronic pain. You might be one of those who just can't run.

Back at it
    If you run outside, try running in the grass along the road or path. Also, if you're running along roads and it's not a busy area, run on the road itself and not the sidewalk. Asphalt is a little softer than the hard concrete that sidewalks are usually made of. It's not going to be night and day, but those are little changes that might help in the long run.