The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

GNC screwed me out of job!

I was supposed to start a new job at GNC this weekend. I was promised the job almost two weeks ago, and told I could start as soon as Left my old job. I gave my supervisors the customary 2 weeks notice or till they found a replacement for me. They found one and I quit my job this last weekend. I was supposed to start this weekend I was already scheduled for the next two weeks. I get a call today saying that Someone requested a transfer from another GNC, and that I was no longer needed. Needless to say that I am pissed.

not getting the job doesn't piss me off as much as how it was handled.

1. I was promised the job, I was told the job was mine.
    2.I quit my job, knowing that I had this job
    3.I cannot go back to my old job, because the position has been filled.
    4. I cannot collect unemployment, because I voluntarily quit.
    5. I was not warned that this was a possibility.
    6.The manager did not tell me, they had a sales assiociate tell me over the phone.

I would not be pissed had they not told me the job was mine.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Ah, you can collect unemployment if GNC hired you, b/c in essence they are laying you off.

I would speak to the manager, let him know how you feel, explain the situation, and tell him you plan to collect unemployment.

Originally posted by MarshallPenn
    Ah, you can collect unemployment if GNC hired you, b/c in essence they are laying you off.

I would speak to the manager, let him know how you feel, explain the situation, and tell him you plan to collect unemployment.
    but his where they got me, they never really hired me, I had not started yet. they just told me that I had the job, and that as soon as I quit my job I could start. I did that and they screwed me, I technicaly never worked for them.

The next move is simple, and really quite obvious.

You have to go in there with a can of gasoline, light the place on fire, punch the manager in the face, then make off with as much loot as you can before all hell breaks loose.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

I don't know that you ever need to actually go to work. If you accepted the job, and had that agreement, that should be good enough.

That, AND do what Matt suggested.

Originally posted by PowerManDL

You have to go in there with a can of gasoline, light the place on fire, punch the manager in the face, then make off with as much loot as you can before all hell breaks loose.

Trust me, I thought about. I was thinking about going there and just going ballistic, but the thought of prison scares me.

Back at it
    Originally posted by MarshallPenn

You have to work a minimum number of hours in order to collect unemployment... My friend was like 6 hours short when he was layed off and couldn't collect it.

Crap. Well..... was anything signed? Verbal agreement will not allow you to collect unemployment. I dunno, I work at a franchise store, not corporate, but I can ask my boss what the policy is...
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

I would bet that unemployment law varies from state to state. He may still be ok.

Nate - call and speak to the manager and just explain your situation. Maybe he'll understand and throw you on the schedule. After that, call GNC's head offices and threaten legal action.

If a W-2 was never signed and submitted there was no employment...

MulletII - AKA Ninja Boner Gyno Rhino's Avatar
    Threaten them with a lawsuit, do what Power said, but make sure to kill the manager's family pets beforehand, with cryptic messages like "Did a good JOB..." or "Sorry, someone from another house transferred, your cat was no longer needed.."
    Founding Member and CEO of the FFFA

"All that matters is beauty on the inside! Outside beauty doesn't matter!"
    ~This is something ugly people say to feel better about themselves...

"Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"
    ~This is something wussy people say to feel better about themselves...

Pearls of Wisdom...

Resident Ninja Demon (with a pet Radioactive Sloth) and SchlonkeyMaster of WBB!

Rock is my 'Big Viking Brother', and not in a homo-esque way.

And no COLON jokes, bastards!

There was a verbal agreement. Whether that gives you any legal standing in your state, I don't know. If GNC thinks you might pursue legal action, they might just find you a job real quick. Sorry to hear you got screwed.

Ecoli die
    You're screwed and probably nothing you can do about it. Were they planning on paying you some insane amount or something?

Sounds like they had a lousy manager to work for anyway, you probably got off better for not being there. Sorry to hear you left your old job and hope you get a better one soon!

Just think, now you can tell them "hey, I can start right away!"
    Now in pain, only working out the walking sticks.

People will start law suits over anything these days wont they?

MulletII - AKA Ninja Boner Gyno Rhino's Avatar
    I don't know. I consider being screwed out of a job (if this is really an underhanded and nasty situation) then maybe there IS grounds for some compensation. How would you like applying for a job, being told you're getting it, quitting the old one, then getting screwed. Doesn't sound all that serious for nate, but what if you have a family/kids to support?
    Founding Member and CEO of the FFFA

"All that matters is beauty on the inside! Outside beauty doesn't matter!"
    ~This is something ugly people say to feel better about themselves...

"Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"
    ~This is something wussy people say to feel better about themselves...

Pearls of Wisdom...

Resident Ninja Demon (with a pet Radioactive Sloth) and SchlonkeyMaster of WBB!

Rock is my 'Big Viking Brother', and not in a homo-esque way.

And no COLON jokes, bastards!

I'd be pretty ticked off to.
    Beachbody coaching lets you turn your hobby into a career - Beachbody

I wouldn't be happy either, and I wasn't particularly referring to him. I'm saying in general there are way too many needless and pointless lawsuits filed, and people are just plain money hungry.

Basically it boils down to a nation who is greedy, every last one of us, and some just more than others.

Originally posted by Ritzol
    People will start law suits over anything these days wont they?

Being tricked into quitting an existing job and then not being hired is not a trivial matter in my book. What if he ends up not finding another job for 2 or 3 months? I'm not saying he should sue, but he should let GNC know that is certainly is an option for his unemployment that would not have occurred if they had kept to their arrangement.

Ok, not trying to start a controversy... simply giving my opinion.

I'm so tired of hearing about lawsuits I could scream.

that is all...

Is a verbal agreement legaly binding ?

Generally there are no formal requirements which have to be satisfied to create a binding contract (limited exceptions include contracts for the sale of land and consumer credit agreements). Consequently, a verbal contract will be binding.

The main problem with oral contracts is proving exactly what was said and agreed. Generally, it is one person's word against another's.

Saying that, if you can prove that you were given a false assurance/ information on which you based your decision to enter into the contract, you may have an action for misrepresentation and/or breach of contract which would entitle you to damages.

Simplistic
    I would bring your situation to the attention of the district manager/supervisor of the GNC you applied at. I wouldn't bother dealing with anyone any lower than that. Someone in that company has to have a decent head on their shoulders.

Equal Opportunity Offender Budiak's Avatar
    He's right. If there is proof that you were 'screwed', just calmly ask if there is another position at another store that is close by, I dont think there would be a huge controversy over him putting you in another store.

Can you work in the store of the guy who moved?

Originally posted by LAM
    If a W-2 was never signed and submitted there was no employment...
    You mean a W-4.
    "damn...can't beat logic like that.
    NAte is exactly right." - Tryska

How about you go find another job. There may be another GNC in town, or at a gym etc. if you want to be in the fitness end of things.

The situation stinks, but I am sure you can get a job quickly if you look around.
    Last edited by chris mason; 08-09-2002 at 07:21 AM.

Originally posted by PowerManDL

I agree...
    ...watch me reap of what I sow....

and BOOM goes the dynomite!