Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Building big legs without squats

Just saw where you're from. You're from Cyprus, do you know Stuart McRobert? just kidding. In his book Beyond Brawn he speaks extensively about his lower back problem and how he dealt with it. It might make some interesting reading. Shoot, maybe you could hunt him down and pick his brain personally. If you do find him, tell him some old guy from Texas that he doesn't know said "hi."

Raise The Fist
    nope never heard of him

thnx for the reference, ill get the book as soon as possible, hopefully it'll give me some ideas about how to deal with my problem

thnx again Delphi
    "If you tremble with indignation at every injustice then you are a comrade of mine." - Che
    "I know you've come to kill me. Shoot, coward, you're only going to kill a man" - Che
    "Democracy today is the same as in the days of ancient Greece, freedom for the slave owners."
    - Lenin

Wannabebig Member

Legs

Hi RignerG9,
    The reference you where given to the Stuart McRobert book(s) if you are a natural bodybuilder will change the way you train, lift etc. He is the best and unhyped writer there is on natural bodybuilding.

BUY his books ASAP! I have a pevlic tilt which means that when i squat I do so with a large cork screw action which over time could injure my back and knees. What I do and as you`ll read is to, is find a compound exercise which doesnt require the weight to be directed down your spine. (I use a leg press)

E.G leg press, tru-squat, ball squat, hip belt squat

Must be a core/compound exercise as these realease large amount of G.H, testosterone etc., prevent overtraining (a naturals worst problem) and injury which single joint exercises can cause due to the excessive pressure on only one joint. (the body is build as a unit, not a series of indidviual parts! you dont eat a piece of chicken and say thats for my becips and another for your quads!).

Hope this helps, Tuttle
    Last edited by tuttle; 08-10-2002 at 10:53 AM.

Originally posted by chris mason
    Leg extensions will develop the quads specifically, yes. Of course, most trainees call the upper legs in general their quads, and there are quite a few more large mucles in your upper legs. On the computer, it looks as though the exercises he listed will be sufficient to build large thighs, but I have never seen anyone who performs those movements have large thighs, regardless of the intensity with which they do so. Serge Nubret used extensions and curls extensively, yet had sub-par legs. My theory is that there is something to be said for the synergistic effect that is achieved with compound movements for the upper legs. Any form of a press involves all of the muscles of the upper legs and the glutes (squats add the lower back etc.). Training all of these large muscles simultaneously seems to have a greater growth stimulating effect than training otherwise.
    Yep, what he said

Guess what, I was diagnosed with a slipped disc when I was 19 or 20. I had terrible lower back pain. I was told not to squat etc. I didn't for some time, but after a few months I got back to it. My back would hurt every time I worked out for years. I remember walking around campus the day after I squatted, and my back would be aggravated. After a few days it would simmer down. In the end, it pretty much went away and I lift really heavy. I squatted with 600 lbs after that, and I recently deadlifted as much. The point is that I believe if you treat it with care initially, and then always make sure to use good form, your back will be fine and you will be able to train with squats and deadlifts. Personally, I think that if you avoid them you are cheating yourself out of a full recovery (not at first, I am speaking long term).

brilliant post! and thats not brown nosing.
    A big thanks to all my friends in the USA, I am deeply grateful for your hospitality and kindness.

Raise The Fist
    ok thnx for the replies guys. Im gona start doing squats and deadlifts, maybe with not maximum intensity at the beginning, until i see that im fully ok to handle them.

as far as Stuart McRobert's books, ive done a search at amazon and ive got the following:

The Muscle and Might Training Tracker
    Brawn
    Beyond Brawn
    Big arms
    Big bench
    An Insider's Guide to Weight Training
    Insider's Tell-all Handbook on Weight-training Techniques
    Brawn: Bodybuilding for the Drug-free and Genetically Typical

Which one do you recommend i get? or shall i get all of them?

Im definetly getting Beyond Brawn, but will the others benefit me in any way or are they just general guides for bodybuilding?
    "If you tremble with indignation at every injustice then you are a comrade of mine." - Che
    "I know you've come to kill me. Shoot, coward, you're only going to kill a man" - Che
    "Democracy today is the same as in the days of ancient Greece, freedom for the slave owners."
    - Lenin

Insider's Tell-All Handbook is a good reference with pics for doing exercises with good form. I bought it at the same time as Beyond Brawn, and I think I got $5 off for the package. There's a version of Brawn later than Beyond Brawn that apparently isn't as highly recommended as Beyond. When you read his stuff you need to keep in mind that he's highly opinionated and isn't shy about it. I choose to ignore quite a bit of what he says, but overall he's a good resource.

Raise The Fist
    ok thnx a lot Delphi
    - Lenin