Page 1 of 85 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: The PowerMan Experience

Ok, I'm not going into the exact specifics of this program right now; I'll let them be revealed as I go. But suffice it to say, it goes against everything Chris has to say about training, so that's why I'm using it.

Feel free to flame it, and me, all you want-- I'm letting the results speak for themselves with this one.

Here's todays session:
    ------------------------------

Speed Squats: 150x2 for 2 sets, 165x2 for 3, 180x2 for 3

Power Cleans: 135x3, 155x3 for 3, 135x3

Russian Twists: 25x12, 35x10 for 2

Reverse Hyperextensions: 50x12 for 3

I'm assuming that you'll be squatting, and performing various Olympic lifts upwards of 2-3 times per week???
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

That's the idea-- if you saw Chris Thibideau's APRE program, imagine that spliced with Westside and a non-linear OL program, and you'll have the general concept.

I saw it but haven't got a chance to read it over. I'll do that today
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

Ok, first off, I am sorry if I have hurt your feelings. Now, if you are going to demonstrate things to us, why not post your EXACT routine, your EXACT max lifts on squat, deadlift, bench, weighted chins, your exact weight and height, and your relaxed measurements (as of the day you start the program). This is the only way we can truly judge the efficacy of your program and your ultimate results. This will, of course, all be done on the honor system, but I am sure we can trust you, so have at it.

Ok, these are the lifts I'm basing this program off of:

BP: 245
    DL: 380
    SQ: 300

I'm being very conservative with those, because I don't want to risk overshooting-- the other lifts, the Olympic variants and such, aren't really the key focus here, but they'll improve too from the way I've set this thing up.

My height was unchanged (5'10), and I weighed 163 as of yesterday when I did the first session.

The program itself, I've got in a word .doc that I'll post when I've made the revisions to it.

Power
    Last edited by PowerManDL; 07-03-2001 at 02:47 AM.

Ok, now be sure not to be too conservative, as this will make any gains seem greater than they actually are. For example, in another post you said your "rock bottom" squat was between 320-340 lbs, now you are saying 300 lbs. Let's say you can do 320 now, and then hit 340 by the end of your routine. By this post it will appear as if you have gained 40 lbs on your max squat when in reality you have only gained 20. So, please be EXACT for us. It is the only way for you or us to come to a valid conclusion about your methods.

It would also be best for an accurate conclusion if you list any supplements or drugs you may be taking during this routine.

Chris, this program self-adjusts the weight I'll be using. You'll see how that works when I post the doc. I just used those numbers as a starting point-- if I'm off, it'll fix itself in a week, two at the most.

As far as today's session, another idea hit me-- along with the self-regulating mechanism, I'm including what's termed "cybernetic periodization," which is essentially using my own inputs and observations about the lifts to modify the program as I go. I'll be giving ratings by each lift, according to whether I'm going to go up in weight, go down, or repeat the next time.

Here's today's:
    ----------------------

Speed Bench: 125x2 for 2, 135x2 for 3, 155x2 for 3

-Final 3 sets (@60% of 1RM) felt too heavy; going to keep at 55% next time if program doesn't accomodate.

Push Press: 115x3, 125x3, 135x3 for 3

-Final sets felt about right, but need some work; Repeat

JM Press: 85x3, 95x3, 105x3, 115x3

-This was a little light. Increase

Weighted Pullups: +45x5, +55x3, +65x3, +70x3

-This was about right. Increase

Hammer Curl: 30x6 for 3

-This felt light. Increase

Here we go for Friday's session:
    ------------------------------------------

Deads: 225x3, 315x3, 335x3, 350x3
    -Increase

SLDL: 225x8, 245x8, 255x8
    -Increase

Russian Twist: 25x12, 35x12 for 2
    -Ok

Reverse Hyper: 60x12 for 3
    -Increase

Standing Calves: 400x10, 440x8 for 2
    -Increase

Figure the new 1RM for the DL is now 395, give or take; this may be a bit low, considering I might have cranked out a bit higher if I hadn't been so tired.

Tomorrow is Max BP, and I'm looking forward to it.

Hey Powerman, sorry to interupt your journal but did you get you reverse hyper from elitefts.com? Do you find it works good for the money? Thanks
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

Actually, my local gym has one, and that's the one I use-- I think I'm the only one there that knows what its for, as everyone else I see seems to use it as a coffee table....

As far as its use, if you can find a cheap one, its definitely worth it, especially if you do any kind of regular heavy squats and/or deadlifts-- I've found it practically invaluable for keeping the lower back/glute/ham area in good condition.

While I'm at it, here's today's lift:
    -------------------------------------------

Max BP: 135x5, 185x5, 220x3, 225x3
    -This was admittedly awkward, since I haven't done heavy triples or less on the BP in a few months; I'm gonna have to work on the loads I'm using, since 225 felt a bit heavier than it should have.

Db Overhead Press: 30x8, 50x8 for 3
    -Increase

Tri Extension: 70x10 for 3
    -Increase

Weighted Pullups: BWx10, +45x8 for 2
    -Increase

Here's yesterdays and todays:

7-9-01
    --------------------------
    Dynamic Squat: 150x2 for 2, 165x2 for 3, 180x2 for 3
    -These seem to be going well. No need for change.

Power Clean: 135x3, 160x3 for 3, 135x5
    -Keep progressing

Reverse Hypers: 50x10 for 4

I had to cut out the Russian Twists because of time yesterday, but that's no biggie.

Today:
    -----------------------------
    Dynamic BP: 115x2, 135x2 for 6
    -This felt a little better than going to 60%, so we'll see

Push Press: 115x5, 125x5, 135x3, 145x3
    -This was better too; keep progressing

JM Press: 95x3, 115x3 for 2, 95x3
    -I had an "epiphany of form" while doing this one today, so I'm going to keep working sets at 95-100 lbs and progress from there.

Weighted Pullup: +45x5, +60x3, +75x3
    -The 60 lb set was almost ridiculously easy for that triple; the 75 took work, but it came. Keep progressing.

Hammer Curl: 35x6 for 3
    -These are progressing as well

I have to say, the last two days have felt invigorating in the gym; I've had energy to spare while there, and I'm still making good progress. If history is any indicator to my progress in this type of program, I'll have some good numbers in the near future.

One thing I noted: from all the benching and overhead work, my rotators are taking a beating. I'm going to have to start bringing in some external rotation work some time soon.
    Last edited by PowerManDL; 07-10-2001 at 05:10 PM.

Today's routine:
    -------------------------

OL Squat: 185x6, 225x6, 250x6
    -Hip extensors are becoming a weak point on this one, especially below parallel; gonna have to take that into consideration.

Romanian DL: 135x8, 205x8, 225x8
    -Went smooth

Russian Twist: 25x12 for 3
    -These are hitting the spot for the abs

Calf Raise: 400x8, 460x8 for 2
    -No problems

Weight was up to 165. So far, nothings going badly. I'm putting up good numbers, and still feel great. My motivation is higher than its been in awhile, and I'm starting to *look* better, too.

Power

I'm thinking for the squat assistance, a combo of hip extensor work and dynamic isometrics from the bottom to parallel would be great-- I might actually have to start using a box for the speed days as well.

We'll see.

Power

7-13
    ----------------------------
    Incline BP: 135x5, 165x3, 185x3, 190x3
    -Felt good; I wasn't really expecting to get this much.

BP: 185x6, 205x6, 215x6
    -Again, didn't expect to get this much, but I've got PTF to thank for that, I think.

Tricep Extension: 80x10 for 2
    -Progressing nicely

Weighted Pullup: +50x8 for 2
    -Also progressing nicely

Cable External Rotation: 15x15 for 2
    -Remedial for the rotators.

This was a bit of an experiment, I must admit--- I needed to keep the weight heavy on the BP, but also keep a 6RM exercise in there-- at the last minute, I decided on a BP analog for the maximal lift, and the BP itself for the 6RM.

It paid off, and I'm thinking that its because of post-tetanic facilitation that I got the 6RM weights. If so, I may have found a new protocol for keeping the weights up.

Power

Tectonic plates, what??? Man, if I oversimplify, you definitely go to the other extreme....

Speed Squats: 150x2 for 2, 165x2 for 3, 180x2 for 3
    -Did these off a low box, and I could tell an immediate difference. Much better that way.

Power Clean: 135x3, 165x3 for 2, 135x5
    -Good; I'm gonna start upping the weight on the final 5 rep set, too.

Russian Twist: 35x8 for 3

Reverse Hyper: 60x10 for 3

Everything's still going as expected--- these dynamic days aren't so much for progression as the max days, but I still get improvements even so.

Power
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Speed Bench: 115x3 for 2, 135x3 for 6
    -I decided to up the reps to 3 on this, since I looked in my journals from last time I did Westside, and got better results that way. We'll see.

Push Press: 115x5, 135x3, 145x3 for 2
    -Doing ok here.

JM Press: 95x3 for 2, 105x3, 95x3
    -This felt a lot better once I got the form issue resolved.

Weighted Pullup: +45x5, +60x3, +80x3
    -The 45 didn't even feel like weight when I put it on, even for the warm-up; the 60 felt like the 45 used to. The 80 was difficult, but I got it.

Hammer Curl: 40x6 for 2
    -Had to drop a set on this slightly because it felt heavy. I'll have to make sure to do some lighter reverse curls on Friday.

Overall, this was a good day. I was down to 162 because I haven't eaten worth a damn in the past day due to work.

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Weighted Pullup: +45x5, +60x3, +80x3
    Gosh...you are a strong guy, keep it up.

Deadlifts: 225x6, 275x5, 315x3, 355x3
    -Wasn't feeling too great about these this morning, but I still got 5 lbs off last DL. I missed a 365 attempt, but my starting strength was toast after the PR set-- I need to keep that in mind.

SLDL: 225x8, 275x6, 295x8
    -These, on the other hand, felt good.

Weighted Crunches: 10x10, 15x10 for 2
    -Done with the weight behind my head; these felt stronger than last time I did them, probably because of all the twisting I've been doing.

Reverse Hypers: 90x10, 110x8 for 2
    -I've started jacking up the weight on these one day a week, trying to build more strength in the back.

Standing Calves: 400x10, 460x8, 480x8
    -These are improving nicely.

Weight is still hovering between 162/163 right now. All in all, it felt good today-- the one exception being the DL. I'm gonna throw in a few sets of pulls off blocks next week to work on that.

Power

This is Saturday's lift. I pushed it back a day because I got drunk Thursday night and slept all day Friday.

--------------------------------
    Max BP: 135x8, 185x5, 210x3, 225x3, 230x1
    -This is starting to feel better. Give me a few more weeks and I'll be back at my old numbers.

Incline BP: 165x6 for 2
    -Alternating between this and the BP each week is paying off, so I'm going to stay with it for the time being.

Tricep Extension: 80x10 for 3
    -Added a set with the same load/reps. Will increase weight next week.

Weighted Pullups: +45x8, +55x8 for 2
    -Going nicely.

Reverse Curls: 30x12, 40x12
    -Tossed these in to help with the forearms.

All in all, this was a good session. I was pumped, and motivated to do it. The pace hasn't slowed down any, and in fact I feel more energized after I leave the gym. If this keeps up, my inferior training methods are going to do better than even I had hoped.

Power

MulletII - AKA Ninja Boner Gyno Rhino's Avatar
    Got drunk one night, eh? Really devoted, ain't ye? *wink*

Speed Squat: 135x2 for 2, 165x3 for 3, 180x2 for 3
    -Doing these off a box has helped tremendously

Isometric Hold: 135x5 seconds for 2
    -No rest, held at parallel for 5, and at the bottom for 5, then exploded up.

Power Clean: 135x5 + Front Squat, 155x5 for 2, 135x3 + Front Squat
    -Adding front squats in to this causes major pain. But its good pain.

Weighted Crunch: 10x12 for 3
    -These hurt like a bastard with the pre-stretch and the weight behind your head. But, I'm seeing improvements.

Reverse Hypers: 70x10 for 3
    -The light day; still seeing/feeling improvement here too.

----------------------

Yet another great session; I was going to throw in some intervals afterwards, but decided against it after the 3rd set of power cleans.

I'll limit the interval work to after upper body training.

Power

Speed BP: 135x3 for 4, 150x3 for 4
    -I went ahead and upped the weight on this to account for my increasing strength. It seemed to work fine.

Push Press: 115x5, 125x5, 135x5, 145x5
    -These went awesome.

JM Press: 95x3, 105x3 for 3
    -Went great as well

Weighted Pullup: +45x5, +60x3, +85x1 (DI), +90x1(DI)
    -I used dynamic isometrics on the heaviest sets, which are basically combinations of isometrics and negatives. I've about hit the limit of progression on heavy loading, so I'll have to change it to 5's next week.

Hammer Curl: 40x6 for 3
    -Added that set that I didn't get last week. Will go up next time.

Interval Stair Climbing: 2min warmup, 30/30 for 3min, low-intensity for 3min, 30/30 for 2 min, low-intensity for 3min. 13 minutes total.

---------------------

I have to say that I felt good going into this today. I got every lift I wanted, and had some left over. The intervals took it out of me, but that will change in a week or two.

One of the best sessions yet.