Page 1 of 155 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: ecDoes it again

ecDoes it again

My Newbie Journal
    I was holding out on starting one of these because I was a little embarassed....but hey, I've got nothing to lose and lots to gain.

Background on myself
    Readers digest version. (well maybe not)

Then
    Beer+Books+TV+School=310 lb & high bp
    Walking, then running + good diet + 1 year= lean 180 lb long distance runner. (about 8% BF at 5í10.5)

Life was good Öuntil I busted a ligament in my knee . I couldnít run for a year (could barely walk for 6 months!), and since then
    (1998) each time Iíve tried to run again I get injured.

By January 2002 wt=240 lbs. Yikes!

So I got some help. Changed diet to several small meals a day...lots of protein.
    Train with weights 4 times a week. Do Cardio 4 times a week.

Now
    203 lbs with about 7-12 lbs of increase in lmm (depends on which BF analysis test I trust...Really don't trust any) Iím a lot stronger than I was at the start.
    Iím still pretty WEAK, but Iím really enjoying training with weights. I also still get my cardio fix. Great stuff.

Iím happy with the results Iím getting; happy and hooked . I really enjoy lifting weights and Iím glad I can get some kind of alternative fix to running.

Reading the journals and info in here has given me a lot of insight into my diet and gym routine. I understand it better. Itís also inspirational .

Reading about all the weight people are pushing around in here is amazing.

Belial youíre one scary dudeÖalmost as scary as Tryska. *snicker*

Everybodyís pretty constructive and helpful so I figured Iíd start posting my journal here and getting your input. I was a little hesitant about doing this, again, mainly because I find my lifts pathetic, but I figured that the sooner I start keeping an online journal the sooner I get input thatíll help me be not so pathetic. Iíll start off by posting my diet and gym routine, as well as my current lifts and diet.

My goal is for world domination, but until then I'll settle for a stronger me.

Oh, And yeah, I just stamped NEWBIE on my forehead so STFU or Iíll unleash a pack of South American Carnivorous Speckled Ass Monkeys on you! tuttut BTW, speckled ass monkeys eat ninjas for lunch.

Next post: Routine and Diet
    hey, maybe even B&A pictures with photographic lobotomy
    Last edited by ectx; 08-11-2002 at 09:57 AM.

Diet and Routine

Weights
    Monday-Back
    Machine Row, overhand grip 3 X 6-8, 5-7, 10-12
    Chin ups 2X Max possible
    Rev. Grip Cable row 2 X 7-9
    Dbl. grip puldown 3 X 8-10

Tuesday-chest/abs
    Flat bench 3X6
    Inc. DB Press 2X8-10
    Inc. Machine Press 1X7-9
    Hanging leg raises 3X max possible
    ab machine 3 X 18-25
    Jonda crunches 1 X max possible

Thursday-leg day
    Squats 4 X 10,7,5,12
    Leg press 2X6-8
    Lying curl 2X8-10 to failure
    hyperextensions (SLDL) 2 X 10-12
    Standing calf 2 drops sets 8-10
    Seated calf 3 X 15-20

Friday-bi's and tri's
    EZ curl 2X7-9
    Rev. grip cable pushdowns 2X12-15
    inc. DB curl 3 X 8-10
    Decline skullcrushers 3X7-9
    Preacher machine curl 2X5-8
    Overhead 1 arm DB extensions 1X8-10

Cardio
    Odd weeks/ mornings or separate from weight training
    Mon. & Fri. 16 min. balls out on stationary bike
    Wed. & Saturday 40 min run
    Even Weeks/ post workout or mornings
    Mon, Tues., Fri. tredmill 12% grade 3.4 mph, 25 min.
    Wed. 45 min 12% grade 3.4 mph
    Saturday 30-35 min at whatever speed and incline I feel good with.

Diet
    Diet alternates from 5 meals on odds to 6 meals on evens. Protein intake is between 150-180 depending on week. Carbs are higher on odds. Usually 3 complex and 3 simple carb servings / day. 2 cheat meals on odds, 1 cheat day on evens.

Supplements include Vit. C & E post training, Xenadrine RFA on even weeks, multivitamin, and flax seed oil, multi source protein post cardio on evens. Whey 1-2 times/day

4 ltrs water / day

So far, I've been on the new diet 2 weeks. Energy level is up compared to old, But I get really hungry on even weeks, even with the extra serving. I've had to get up in the middle of the night to down a shake. I think I'm on metabolic overdrive because I've dropped about 4 lbs and waist has gone down another inch (thought it was water, but the weight's consistently off). None of my lifts have suffered though. They've actually all gone up (perhaps not as hard when you're as weak as I am ).

Your comments and suggestions are welcome.

Good luck, man.

Gotta post in here to commend you on such an ace journal title!
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

Good luck, man.

Gotta post in here to commend you on such an ace journal title!
    Thanks man. I thought it was a bit cheesy...
    but hey, sometimes cheese is good.

I almost used "chicken" as my screen name...that's what my old running buddies call me, but I figured in here there can be only one chicken. I also think I'm leaving that runner behind. Again, thanks man.

8/10/02
    Diet
    Meal 1 1 cup cottage cheese w/ strawberries
    Meal 2 Post cardio shake (40 g mixed source protein) + flax
    Meal 3 Turkey sandwich on wheat and 1/2 grapefruit
    Meal 4 Whey shake (40 g prot.)
    Meal 5 Whey shake (40 g prot.)+ flax
    Meal 6 1 can tuna, 1/2 can green beans

Weights
    None...rest day

Cardio
    30 min 12% grade power trek in the am. @ 4mph
    Easy.

Random Sh*t
    Got lots of sleep last night...10 hours! hadn't been getting more than 5/night because of school. I decided to let myself sleep until I woke up by myself. Felt great too. Diet bugs me. I'm suppose to be eating every 3-3.5 hrs. I'm getting hungry about every 2.5. That's even with the Xenadrine in the morning and early pm. I may increase carbs a little or add an extra meal. I was fine last week (although odd week diet is different). I'll talk to C about this. Legs are still killing me from Thursday's leg workout. I can see why people here like squats. My quads and my butt are really sore...but I think the cardio helped clear up some of that lactic acid, because I felt much better afterwards. Went to see a movie at my friends house. Scary movies are good for cuddling. H was scared, and i was loving it.

8/11/02

Diet
    Meal 1 1 cup cottage cheese w/ strawberries and 2 slices of wheat toast
    Meal 2 1 chicken breast and 2 handfuls of veggies (broccoli, zucchini)
    Meal 3 Whey Shake + Flax
    Meal 4 1 can of tuna, 1/2 can green beans
    Meal 5 Whey shake + flax
    Meal 6 1 can tuna, 1/2 grape fruit

Weights
    None...rest day

Cardio
    NoneÖrest day

Random Sh*t
    Slept well last night, about 8 hours. My legs are back to normal. The arms are a little sore. So are the forearmsÖmust be all thatÖnevermind. *DOH* Spent most of the day in lab. Iím actually kind of bummed. My cuz Ceci passed away this weekend. We were very close growing up. She went in to have gastric bypass surgery to try and lose weight. When they did her blood work they found out she had liver cancer. That was 3 months ago. Iím bummed both because sheís dead and also because she was so desperate she was willing to resort to surgery to lose weight. Makes me wonder about how unhappy she must have been. Sheís only about a year older than me and left behind a 6 year old kid. Makes you put things in perspective.

Energizer Bunnie

Condolences......

Hey there ectx,

It certainly does put things into perspective....

Its pretty devasting to lose a loved one.... so I just wanted to let you know that my thoughts are with you and your family...

Cheers,

Francesca
    "Happiness is not an accident. Nor is it something you wish for. Happiness is something you design." Jim Rohn

A Work In Progress....II

DailyDiet

Bespoke Super Mod
    Sorry to hear about your loss, I know how difficult it can be as I have had the same thing occur to me recently.

Try and talk to friends and loved ones as much as you can, the pain will never truly go but it help to alleviate it some what
    "A + B + C = Success if, A = Hard Work, B = Hard Play, C = Keeping your mouth shut" -Albert
    Einstein

I've always gone to the gym with the conviction that I'll be the hardest working mother****er in the joint. Make that your credo, and hope we don't lift at the same place.
    -- Adam Fahy

"Fran is a double-hard bastard"- Clint Brewer 31/12/02

I agree, keep your bridges firm.
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

Francesca, FAngel, and Chicken Daddy...Thanks. You guys are ace.
    Feeling much better today about it. I don't have a problem with dieing. I have a problem with dieing unhappy. When I go I want a big party with beer and pizza.

Again, thanks.

Okay, on to the other stuff:

8/12/02

Diet
    Meal 1 Post workout meal/ 1 big bowl of corn flakes and double dose whey shake
    Meal 2 1 cup cottage cheese w/diced apple and 2 slices of whole wheat toast
    Meal 3 1 chicken breast, whole grain rice, steamed broccoli
    Meal 4 1 chicken breast w/ whole grain rice
    Meal 5 Whey shake + flax

Weights
    Back Day
    T-bar Row, oh narrow grip 1X 8 135, 1X10 135, 1X12 135
    had a hard time getting the full range on the last set.
    Chinups (underhand narrow grip) 2X5 pathetic.
    *Need to program myself into loving these and making them my b*tch*
    Reverse grip cable row 2X9 180. Felt easy. Will go up next week or add reps.
    Double grip pulldown 3 X 10 140. Nice and slow. These feel a lot harder than a regular lat pulldown I can do 170 w/lat pulldown, but not with double grip pulldown.

Overall workout felt crappy. Energy level was down. Maybe it was because I spent all night in the lab *doh*. Called in sick and went home afterwards to sleep. Felt much better afterwards.

Cardio
    in evening...separate from weights
    16 min sprint on stationary bike.
    used max setting and random prophile.
    Goal was to maintain cadence @ about 95-105 rpm regardless of changing difficulty. Great for getting heart rate up w/out frying it.

Random Sh*t
    Feeling better today. Especially after I slept. Amazing what catching your z's will do. *note to self, do not go to gym when feeling like crap* Day was blah. Need to work on publications. Got good data over the weekend.

8/13/02
    Funny, this started out as being the worst workout and ended up being not too shabbyÖyouíll see what I mean.

Diet
    Meal 1 Post workout meal/ 1 big bowl of corn flakes and double dose whey shake
    Meal 2 Turkey sandwich on wheat, 1 apple
    Meal 3 Turkey sandwich on Wheat, mixed veggies
    Meal 4 Chicken w/ brown rice
    Meal 5 Whey shake w/flax. mixed in 5 strawberries

Weights
    Chest and ab day
    Bench Press 2 X 6 165, 1X7 165 (+1R)
    Inc. DB Press 1X12 50 1X 10 60 (+10W)
    Machine Inc. Press 1X14 170 (failure)
    Hanging Hip curls 3X15
    Free Motion Ab machine 1X 25 80, 2X 25 120
    Janda situps 1X12

+#R indicates rep increase
    +#W indicates weight increase.

Started off by making a very freshman mistake. In my slightly drowsy 6 am mode (even after a brief warm up) I loaded the bar. Being my dumbass self I loaded the wrong plates. Itís not like I canít do math, or Iím stupid or anything, I just fíkd up. My dyslexic mind put 25ís instead of 10ís and 10ís instead of 5ís. *doh * I get to the bench and eek out 1 repÖand Iím thoroughly pissed off at myself because I just canít understand why the freaking bar feels so heavy. (idiot) I stop, drink my water, and try to justify why last week I could do 3 sets of 6 and now I can barely do one. Dang Iím pissed. I remember being told never to settle for less than what I did at the previous workout. I look over at the bar and it hits meÖIím a dumba*s and I just lifted 205 not 165. Ha ha, 165 was much easier after that . I guess Iím lucky I could actually lift it, otherwise this could have been a ďHey Delphi, know any good doctors in my area?Ē post. Yikes.

Cardio
    None. Wooohooo! Did I just say that?

Random Sh*t
    The gym was full of geriís today (geriatrics). Funny, most people in here would probably consider me a geri. Haha. My back is sore, shoulders too. Pretty fried from yesterday. I guess yesterday wasn't as bad as I thought. I was worried that I'd be too warn out from yesterday. Nah. Anyhow, not much random sh*t today.

Note, edited with diet and apparently I can't add so changed weight.
    Last edited by ectx; 08-13-2002 at 05:24 PM.

Energizer Bunnie
    you really are "special" ectx.....

Glad to see you have not lost any of your humour.... you are pure entertainment...

Cheers,

Francesca
    "Happiness is not an accident. Nor is it something you wish for. Happiness is something you design." Jim Rohn

A Work In Progress....II

DailyDiet

Originally posted by ectx
    Back Day
    T-bar Row, oh narrow grip 1X 8 135, 1X10 135, 1X12 135
    had a hard time getting the full range on the last set.
    Chinups (underhand narrow grip) 2X5 pathetic.
    *Need to program myself into loving these and making them my b*tch*
    Try doing them first on back day, do VERY SLOW negs, just keep at them and you will progress.
    Current Stats --------------- Training Goals: Improve athletic conditioning.
    Squat - 305lbs - 1/23/06 ----- 335
    Deadlift - 415lbs - 2/4/06 ---- 435
    Bench - 90s*7 ----------------- 100s*5
    Weight - 208 ------------------ 190
    Height - 5'10"

My Journal|My Routine|My FitDay
    WBBB|"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" - Thomas Edison

lol. Oops. Good job on the bench anyway... So was that a PR?

Quick question on the chins.... Why the narrow grip?

(PS- good to see you with a journal up. )
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

ectx:

Good luck with the journal man. Nice and detailed it looks really good so far. Try and keep it for a while. Most newbies start a journal and stop it after a week. Dont ask me why.

you really are "special" ectx.....
    *blushes* ...you mean ...ed, I mean, after that stupid mistake, really.
    thanks Francesca

Try doing them first on back day, do VERY SLOW negs, just keep at them and you will progress.
    Thanks for the suggestion Eric. I'll give it a try. My back does feel pretty fried after T-bar
    lol. Oops. Good job on the bench anyway... So was that a PR?
    Quick question on the chins.... Why the narrow grip?
    B, I just started lifting in May, so anything I do is a PR.
    So yeah, that 1 rep max was a pr. Funny what you can do if you trick your brain into it. The narrow grip is really not that narrow. It's slightly more narrow than shoulder width. My shoulders are kind of broad and the chinup bar at my gym is a little wacky. What it has as a regular underhand shoulder grip feels narrow to me (hands are 5 inches apart kind of narrow) I use the narrow grip as opposed to the wide grip because of everything I've read in here. It just feels really narrow to me though. Any suggestions or should I just keep it the same? thanks.

Good luck with the journal man. Nice and detailed it looks really good so far. Try and keep it for a while. Most newbies start a journal and stop it after a week. Dont ask me why.
    Thanks Monstar. I'm pretty anal about my non-public training journal, so expect me to be the same way about this one. I've enjoyed reading yours BTW. Good stuff, even (actually especially) when it gets a little schizophrenic.
    *ducks to avoid Monstar's flying kick*
    Last edited by ectx; 08-13-2002 at 05:34 PM.

Thanks Monstar. I'm pretty anal about my non-public training journal, so expect me to be the same way about this one. I've enjoyed reading yours BTW. Good stuff, even (actually especially) when it gets a little schizophrenic.
    *ducks to avoid Monstar's flying kick*
    Haha yeah I do keep my journal really really detailed - and I hope that you do the same. It lets everyone know not only about your workouts but about other things that are going on in your lift as well ya know? Keep it up man, looking good.

Monstar, thanks. Check your journal for more info. on PT school.
    8/14/02

Diet
    Meal 1 1 cup cottage cheese, 1/2 cup oatmeal, 2 slices whole wheat toast
    Meal 2 Turkey sandwich on wheat, 7 strawberries
    Meal 3 Turkey sandwich on Wheat
    Meal 4 1 big bowl of corn flakes and whey shake
    Meal 5 Whey shake w/flax. mixed in 5 strawberries

Weights
    None, Rest day

Cardio
    40 min Outdoor Run
    Approximate distance: 4.4 miles
    Approximate pace: 9 min/mile
    Temp: 83F, 70% humidity, breezy
    Hill Profile: +3 (1=flat, 5=Very Hilly)
    Pain and Injury Index: +1 (0=painless, 5=uhoh)
    tight hammies, some piriformis soreness
    Water stops: 2

I only do outdoor runs about 2-4 times a month, and given my background expect this to be very detailed, but again, you'll only see this much detail on cardio when I run outside. Outdoor runs have so many variables that you just don't get on a tredmill. I still want to run an occasional 5 or 10 K and this will help me prep for them. This was a great steady run. Felt nice and easy, if a bit hot, humind and hilly. I was the sweat king on this one. Piriformis only started bugging me after mile 2 and it wasn't painful, just sore. Had a good stretch before and after.

Random Sh*t
    Geez my back is sore. Chest is starting to get more and more sore, especially after my run. It burns more than anything. Loving it. I took a one hour nap after work. It felt good. I think I'll retire early tonight. I Had a busy day at work. I got my DNA chip training in today. Cool stuff. Tomorrow's leg Day, so I better get my z's.
    Last edited by ectx; 08-15-2002 at 12:16 AM.

Energizer Bunnie

Cardio
    40 min Outdoor Run
    Approximate distance: 4.4 miles
    Approximate pace: 9 min/mile
    Temp: 83F, 70% humidity, breezy
    Hill Profile: +3 (1=flat, 5=Very Hilly)
    Pain and Injury Index: +1 (0=painless, 5=uhoh)
    [/B]
    I love how thorough you are in your descriptions Kinda feel like I am jogging right along with you ...hee hee. I only managed to run 10 mins before feeling pain last time I jogged Hopefully my new shoes will do the trick...

A Work In Progress....II

DailyDiet

Awsome journal! I like it alot! Good luck with achieving your goals.
    Stats
    5'10,185-190lbs, 12-16%bf

Leg Day...Ohhhhh Yeah.
    8/15/02

Diet
    Meal 1 1 big bowl of corn flakes and double whey shake
    Meal 2 1 cup cottage cheese w/1 apple, 2 slices whole wheat toast
    Meal 3 1 can tuna, 2 slices whole wheat toast, 7 strawberries
    Meal 4 1 grilled salmon fillet, w/ whole grain rice
    Meal 5 1 whey shake, w/ strawberries mixed in.

I LOVE salmon. Good stuff. IMHO it's just like eating steak. Speaking of which, been craving red meat. Maybe I'll eat some on cheat day.

Weights
    Leg Day
    Warmed up w/ 10 min on stationary bike and 5-10 min stretching
    Squats
    1X10 185, 1X7 205, 1X7 255 (+w), 1X12 185
    I'm having trouble hitting parallel w/these. I get maybe 10 degrees above.
    Mainly my concern here is the old butt injury. I can really feel it stretch out as I get lower. I also worry about the right MCL. I'm okay with the warm-up set. They're nice and low, but as I increase I start feeling the pull in my piriformis. Other than that these felt good. Stance was a little wider than shoulder width...it just felt comfortable there, no particular reason.

Leg Press
    2X8 475. Pretty deep on second set especially.

Leg curls
    2X8 140. Took these slow on the neg. and held the contraction for 2 sec.

SLDL
    2X10 185
    These were fine. Only problem was grip. I felt it going on the last set. I felt like I could squeeze out several more reps, but my grip was not cooperating. Any suggestions? I haven't increased much weight on these because of the whole grip problem.

Standing calf raises
    4X25 495, 45 s rest intervals (+R)
    Yikes, the calves are burning! Did this because the machine is maxed out and 3 sets of 12 felt easy.

Sitting calf raises
    3X15 170 took these nice and slow.

As far as leg workouts go, this felt pretty good. I was pretty burned out by the end, and getting really hungry. A quick drive home took care of that. My right knee bugged me a little so I stretched a lot in between sets. Aside from that all was good.

Cardio
    None...Are you kidding me, My legs are fried after that

Random Sh*t
    Back is back (haha) to normal today. Chest feels okay too. Sleep was about 6 hrs. last night...probably take a quick nap later today. My plan was to make this a very PC journal. I didn't plan on posting any comments about hotties in the gym...but damn if 3 of the best built women I've ever seen in my life don't walk in within 15 min of each other. All with pierced bellybuttons too! Somehow, I found myself a little distracted. It's about 11:30 as I edit this and my legs are getting really sore...my calves are flipping me off. Slept 1.5 hrs when I got back from work. Felt really good. Well got to catch my z's.
    Last edited by ectx; 08-15-2002 at 10:53 PM.

almost forgot...

Black Curtain and Franji, you guys were posting when I was updating. Yikes, Thanks for stopping by. Glad you like the journal Black Curtain feel free to come on by and post your input, and Franji, I wish I could take you on a run with me . Get healed up will ya.

REALLY enjoy reading yout journal man, very detailed etc. Like all of the details on everything that is going on. Keep it up man.

Monstar, REALLY enjoying writing it.

A little late due to a certain Aussie keeping me up all night.

8/16/02

Diet
    Meal 1 1 cup cottage cheese w/diced apple and 2 slices of whole wheat toast
    Meal 2 1 tuna (1 can) sandwich on wheat, with veggies
    Meal 3 1 tuna sandwich on wheat.
    Meal 4 1 chicken breast on wheat
    Meal 5 Post workout feeding/1 bowl cornflakes + double whey shake
    Meal 6 whey shake + flax

drank the extra shake 'cuz I got hungry.

Weights
    Arm Day
    EZ curl 2 X 9 80
    Rev. grip pushdown 1X12, 1X10 80
    Inc. DB curl 3 X 8 45
    Dec. Skull crushers 2 X 6, 1 X 8 90
    Machine Preacher Curl 2X8 90
    OH 1 armed DB Ext. 1X15 30 failure (need increase weight)

My arms felt fried after this. The declined skullcrushers absolute evil. Great stuff.

Cardio
    in evening...after weights
    16 min sprint on stationary bike.
    used max setting and random prophile.
    Goal was to maintain cadence @ about 95-105 rpm regardless of changing difficulty.

Random Sh*t
    My gym is getting remodeled and everything was moved so workout took a little longer. The walls are now painted diarhea yellow. Oh well. Had a long day at work so I worked out in the pm. Got to go help a friend move now. My legs are SORE, especially calves. They're a little pissed at thursday's workout. GOOD. Glutes and hams were sore too, quads were okay...which tells me I probably didn't go low enough with the squats. Got to work on that. Maybe I'll practive the movement a bit more and get use to it, warm up with the bar or something. I'm gonna be feeling the arms a little later. Sleep was great last night., won't be in my next entry...wonder why haha.

Energizer Bunnie
    My arms felt fried after this. The declined skullcrushers absolute evil. Great stuff..............Got to go help a friend move now.
    You really are a sucker for punishment eh

A Work In Progress....II

DailyDiet

You really are a sucker for punishment eh
    There'll be no lip from you missy. Don't you have a spin class to catch?
    ...plus, she pulled out the puppy eyes, I had to help her move. Just had to.