Thread: Flaxseed oil during pregnancy

Wannabebig Member
    Common sense tells me it wouldn't hurt...but gosh it's so new to me..and I just wanna ask if anyone knows. My doc said no..(uneducated) Health Food stores couldn't point me to a book that could answer this question..
    NO..it's not THAT important...but you want to do the best you can for your baby too...and I like the benefits it gives me...I don't eat much fish...and wanna keep what good fat I was taking thru flaxseed.

What made your Doc say no? .... Did you ask him/her what they would suggest you eat for fats in your diet.

Having delivered one munchkin myself, I cannot see any reason that it would not be good for you, but I am not a doctor and would never advise you to go against orders, except I think most of them are stupid... whoops, I mean un education with the exception of their field, they are quick to say no.
    Find some old fashion mid-wives, they seem to have more holistic knowledge than the docs. It was a mid-wife that fixed my horrible pregnancy, I was so ill from lack of protein. ( believe that one) I thought I was going to die, seems the little darling was using my muscle as fuel.... she increase my protien in my diet and amazing how fast I got well........

Hope this gives you something to think about..
    MissAbs
    Dieting is a Sport-Eat to Win!

www.MissAbs.com

I would also be curious to what type of fat he recommends ... because that's all flax seed oil is.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Where the grass is green and the girls are pretty
    Hi, SnowWhite - I'd like to be the first one to congratulate you! Good job!

Wannabebig Member
    Sxy SnowWhite

I would diffently be cautious of consuming Flaxseed oil while pregnant, I am not a doctor myself but I know people who have been pregnant who have been advised against taking it. If you search the net for flaxseed oil and read up on it's properties, most of the investigations strongly advice against taking it (with referrintial back-up).

This is just what I heard and read, better to be safe than sorry. Why not just consume a little extra oily fish if you're worried about your esa's.

Oh, and congratulations!

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    I can't really answer your question, but congratulations!
    Are you with Big Donny Brasco or am I way off?
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

Wannabebig Member
    SxySnow White - Unfortunately, I can not answer your question either. But, I have a wonderful doctor who has told me many good things about flaxseed oil. If I can get in touch with him, I will ask him for you and let you know. I just don't see how flaxseed oil could be harmful in any way. But,then again, I am certainly not a doctor!

Wannabebig Member
    Elaborate burn...could you point me in the direction of info...

Miss Abs..I truly understand what your saying...This pregnancy is so different...Im sure it has to do with my eating...not one bit of morning sickness..and still kickin it at the gym

Thanks to those who congradulated me..

and (laughing) Big D Brasco and I are truly JUST FRIENDS always have been...He's a wonderful, knowledgable friend to have. And just the thought of it being his probably would make him RUN hard and fast...LOL @ the thought!

Wannabebig Member
    Sxy SnowWhite,

Well I looked around for a short time for some information but failed to find the site where I read it before (it was a while ago) but came up with this:

http://www.tnp.com/substance.asp?ID=380
    'Flaxseed appears to be safe when used as directed. Because of its potential effects on estrogen, however,avoid taking large amounts of flaxseed if you are pregnant or breast-feeding. One study found that pregnant rats who ate large amounts of flaxseed (5% or 10% of their diet), or one of its lignans, gave birth to offspring with altered reproductive organs and functions49—in humans, eating 25 g of flaxseed per day amounts to about 5% of the diet.50 Lignans were also found to be transferred to baby rats during nursing.51'

I know it's not exactly solid proof and you're diet is unlikely to contain 5% flaxseed anyway.
    I don't think there has really been much research done on this area, as I also found many site's which contradict the above saying that Flaxseed can help during a pregnancy.

Sorry I could'nt be more help.