The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Wannabebig Member

1st Competition...6wks out soon!!! Need info.

Ok, Im 5'3", 125lbs, 14%bf (want to cut to 6-8), 2800cals/day (50%prot,35%carbs,15%fat), lift 5x, cardio 45min/4x. I think I know the basics, I need to start a thermogenic, up cardio, lower cals/carbs (how much???) diuretic 2wks out. What worked for all of you. How do I keep my body from adjusting to lower cals, brands that have worked for you, aminos, whatever? And if you could be specific on how much to lower my cals each week. This is just my first show so as specific as possible would be great.

Oh and the pic attached is 10lbs ago and I was 17%fat. But it gives you the basic idea!

Heather
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Hether
    USMC

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Hey, your abs are visible in this pic, that's far less than 17%BF.
    Stats
    5'10,185-190lbs, 12-16%bf

A chick at 14% is really ripped
    ...watch me reap of what I sow....

and BOOM goes the dynomite!

Are you competing in fitness or bodybuilding?

You appear less than 17% in that photo, although it looks like you don't carry much fat in the midsection (your abs are clearly defined, yet your arms and legs are not as defined)
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

hey, i think your shirt slipped off
    Beachbody coaching lets you turn your hobby into a career - Beachbody

Genetic Experiment GeneticallyGifted's Avatar
    Stockholm, Sweden...Mainly, New York,New York, Los Angeles,CA., Civitinova Marche, Italy
    I think that you look pretty good in that pic. As Paul stated before what kind of competition are you doing? It matter for the critique that members give.

Lookin good though
    STATS COMING SOON:Age: 29 | Height: 5'10" | Weight: 78KG/ 172LBS| bf: |Years Training:?? | All-natural: Yes|

Chest: | Shoulders: | Upper Arm: | Forearm: |
    Waist: |Neck:| Upper Thigh: | Calf: |

Personal Bests: COMING SOON:
    Flat Barbell Presses: | Dips: |Wide-grip Palms Away: |
    Military Barbell Press: |Barbell Squats: |

Wannabebig Member
    Its a BB comp and like I said I am much more muscular now. I was running alot of races at the time so was keeping the weight off and excess muscle to minimum. This pic is actually a few years old but its still me! I hope to get some recent ones soon so you can critique my physique better. this one im posting is more recent...about 6 months but still about 10lbs lighter but with much less fat.

http://hometown.aol.com/hethercook/m...e/profile.html

Hether
    Hether
    USMC

Not much to critique, really - To compete as a bodybuilder in a local, natural show, you need to be very lean, but mass will be secondary to conditioning and symmetry (at least from what i've seen)

If its your first show, i wouldn't stress too much, just diet to get as lean as possible. There are some others around this site who can give you pointers on the week or two before the show to get contest ready (tanning, carb loading, dehydrating, etc.)
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

you look gooooood

125 pounds and taking in 2800 calories a day???
    "As far as drugs were concerned, all my bodybuilding heroes were on everything but roller skates."

In Memphis, it is illegal for a woman to drive by herself, unless a man is walking or running infront of the vehicle, waving a red flag in order to warn approaching pedestrians and motorists.

I'm with BCC the 2800 calories a day thing blows my mind. I'm 200lbs taking in 2200-2400 a day.

The 50% protein thing is just ridiculous. That's 1400 calories a day of protein! You're only 125lbs, you need at most, probably 115g's a day.

Strongman
    Hether, there's a funny white rectangle thing in the photo you might want to fix

You look really lean there, however women can't get much lower than ~10% though (estrogen, breast tissue, etc.). And the diet - 2800 cals at 125 lbs!!! Wow. That's just a lot for your size.
    Four-Time World's Strongest Man

Wannabebig Member
    i dont see what is wrong with all the protein if that is what I like, I am extremely high energy and my muscles are full. But I will try to lessen that at least before cutting cuz I know I'll miss my carbs.
    Not sure why I can eat so much either but to maintain its about 2300cals. I've been trying to gain though like I said.

As for the funny white triangle, I apologize...my camera must have messed up or something...

Thanks for the input, but come on I need more, I still feel clueless!

Hether
    Hether
    USMC

I'm sure the BB types could help you more, but...

You're not going to be trying to lose large amounts of weight, so I wouldn't worry about the plateau just yet. I'll let somebody else handle the last three weeks, (Because there, diuretic use, carb loading, etc. makes a difference), but I would try to lower your calories by about 300 a week for the next 3 weeks. Not much more, and honestly I wouldn't drop the carbs too low or your body will go way too catabolic. There really aren't any supplements out there that will keep your metabolism high besides the thermogenics, though you may want to look into large doses (2-3 grams a day plus) of ALA. Metabolic slowdown, again, shouldn't be a big deal since you're already fairly lean, and fairly close to show time. The big thing right now will be dropping maybe 5-8 pounds of fat, then getting dry come competition time. What's your cardio/lifting routine like?

Now, come on guys, I know there are competitors out there. Somebody help the lady out!
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

You've been trying to gain or trying to lose? I'm confused.

The reason why eating so much portein is "bad" aside from the fact that you're overly taxing your system, is that the protein is getting converted and you're using that for energy. It's not very efficient.

Wannabebig Member
    Ok I was trying to gain mass...it worked so now Im trying to cut for the show. Im new so dont know alot.

Is ALA Alpha Lipoic Acid? When should I take it?

Lifting Sched

Back
    Legs
    Chest
    Sh/Traps
    Bis/Tris

Abs 3xwk

Cardio 5xwk 50mins
    Treadmill 20min 5.5 w/4 2min sprints at 7.0-7.5
    Elliptical 30min L13 w/3 6min sprints at L16
    HR on sprints around 90%MHR (180)

So there it is. Feel free to critique the schedule too. Thanks for your help.

And I am going to try to up my carbs to what?...about 60%?

Hether
    Hether
    USMC

well, I would say to make 500 calories a day come from protein. A little more or a little less is fine. I would also shoot for at least 30% of your diet coming from healthy fats. Make the rest carbs, or up the fat even more. It depends on how you like to eat.

Do you know what your maintenance calories are? I would gradually try to shoot for about 200-400 calories below. I think Belial gave you some sound advice about starting by dropping 300 cals to start.

I personally don't like that split, but I'll let others comment more on that.

Wannabebig Member
    please do im open for suggestions. But I like to go to the gym 5-6 days a week because I have no life! lol

Hether
    Hether
    USMC

Okay what diuretic will you be taking? Are you gonna be using gear? If you are will the show be a tested show? Gotta give us more info here. I think you are all natrual. In that case what diurteic do you plan on using OTC stuff, or real gear? I could help ya in that department.
    Cutting Cycle 02/04'

Wannabebig Member
    I have to go all natural...Im in the Marine Corps and they drug test me often, plus I want to remain feminine and still have yet to see any stop in growth. Not sure how far my body will let me go...we will see. But if you can recommend an OTC diuretic and any others, I'd appreciate it. Is that you in that pic warrior? If so your friggin huge! Whoever it is looks good!!

Hether
    USMC
    Hether
    USMC

Taraxatone , good OTC, diuretic. NWB , also good, but you will need to take higher dosages. I would actually run them both, taking one dosage of NWB a day, with one dosage of Taraxatone, 15 days till the 5 day. On the 5th day out you might just wanna go 2 NWB and one dosage of Taraxatone a day. Remember to carb up, you wanna get your muscles looking there fullest you gotta time this right, you should do some practice run, carbing up, cause you dont wanna mess up contest day. And remember to crank up the water intake (lower it to a halt few days out). If you still want more definition in a certain body part I can recommened you rub on it, thimoucase or Preperation-H on it, before cardio.

And sadly thats not me on the avatar, its Scott Steiner.
    Cutting Cycle 02/04'

Wannabebig Member
    Wow....thanks for the advice! Much appreciated. I will use it. Is it ok for me to test carbing up while cutting? Will it hinder my goals in the long run?
    Hether
    USMC

No I do recommened you try it, cause if it dont come out right competition day you will definetly be disspaointed. You might look bloated or your muscles might look pudgy, or the dread flat look.
    Cutting Cycle 02/04'

Wannabebig Member

update to pics

update to pics
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Hether
    USMC

Energizer Bunnie
    Hether,

You look fantastic & very feminine
    "Happiness is not an accident. Nor is it something you wish for. Happiness is something you design." Jim Rohn

A Work In Progress....II

DailyDiet