Thread: Powerlifting

Hybrid View

Powerlifting

Hello all,
    Over the summer I have been concentrating only on powerlifting. In 2 months I have gained 15lbs. on bench, 30 on DL, and 40, on squat. I am not happy with this. I wanna get better gains than that. My routine is mainly Squat and assitance on Monday, Bench and assistance on wed, and DL and assistance on Friday. I think I need a new routine. Can anyone reccomend some routines that work for them, as far as powerlifting? I have looked at the Westside routine, but there are so many odd lifts that I either can't do, have never heard of, or don't have the proper materials to do them. Can someone please help me? I am going to be on the Varsity powerlifting team this year(as a freshmen), and would like to add about 20-50lbs. to all my lifts over this year. Thanks.

You are not happy with that?

I'd be pretty happy with that.
    sounds like what you are doing is working OK.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

www.elitefts.com (westside)... read the articles.. try the 9 week program... but make sure you understand how and why you are doing the exercises.

I just looked at the 9 week program, and there are many exceresiese that I don't know how to do, and I probably don't have the materials to most of them. Can you give me some other routines to try?

The 9 week program can be tailored to your needs... the basics are the ME and the DE method exercisies (the first exercise on each day)... after that, all the rest are assistance work which you can choose the best exercise for your goals/body.

In regards to the ME and DE exercises, the floor presses, board presses, low box squats, etc.... are not as hard to perform as you think. Yes, learning the new proper form is going to be the first hurdle. At the www.elitefts.com site.. goto the "ask dave" section and then click on the "exercise index" line on the left frame... this will open up a list of most of the exercises and will allow you to read how to do them.. hope this helps.

I don't think Westside is what Hurcule should do.

I'd stick with the current program.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

You are 14, just wait until your natural test production hits it's peak. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

I would take 15 lbs on my bench every 2 months. I would love it. Think about it like this. If you bench 300 now, with a 15 lb gain every 2 months in a year you would be benching 390. I would not mind going from low 500s to low 600's in the next year.

At your age whatever you do will work provided you don't grossly overtrain, or try and max the same exercise every week.

If you want to see how to do the westside exercises, look at growordie.com go to the training vids section. Most of the exercises are not as complex as they seem on paper.

Main thing is to increase your bar speed, and on another day of the week work on increasing your absolute strength.

B.

I did not realize his age, for that matter, westside might not the the best course of action (although it wouldn't be a "bad" course of action).

Thanks guys.

At 5'10" and 181lbs at age 14, I'd guess that test production is going well, but I have to agree that the first thing I thought was, "Sh*t, at that age, you can probably sit on a couch and improve".

I had friends that matured early like you, and they continued to improve at about the same rate. I recall my friend weighing 180 at 5'10" getting reps with 275 as a 17 or 18yo, he trained, as did most of the football guys at our school, using a 5-4-3 scheme.

I didn't hit 181 until I was 18. I worked out in typical pyramid fashion, benched 110@15yo, 135@16yo, 185@17yo, 245@18yo, weighing around 180. I weighed around 120-130 when 15yo.

You are making pretty good gains, and the rate of such gains are good too.

Like benchmonster said, gains like that, in that short of time, are damn good.

I've gone years without those kinds of gains, hell, 10 years where my bench is concerned. I hit 320 when I was 22ish, weighed 193. Just broke 335 last spring, weighing 215. I'm 34. I've weight trained the whole time.

If you don't know how to do some lifts, learn. Change is good. If you are not doing ME/DE days, that will help.

Best of luck.
    Brett

You gonna do squats?

--(*lllllll*)--
    The voices tell me to crawl it.

Pretty Fly for an Old Guy W8_4_Me's Avatar
    You are doing FINE for 14.

Probably one of the HARDEST things to learn at 14 is PATIENCE! It'll come. Give it time.
    "A winner...knows how much he still has to learn, even when he is considered an expert by others; A loser...wants to be considered an expert by others, before he has even learned enough to know how little he knows." - Sydney Harris

"It takes a big man to cry, and an even BIGGER man to laugh at that man!" - Jack Handey

"It's simple. If it jiggles, it's fat." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

Second Place = First Loser
    I am 17, also on the varsity powerlifting team (if we had one, but the long and short of it is, there are three guys on our team, and no other schools in our league or any other leagues of schools around here would compete with us, simply bc after two years, we won every single match, no chance for the others). What you have gaineds is pretty good, especially since your Test production isn't at it's peaks. However I am curious, what kind of weight are you throwing around, or what are your Personal Records sor bench, squat, and DL?
    Second place is just a generic term your mom created to make you not feel bad about losing, because second place is actually first loser!

TurboStu,
    I bench press 210, Squat 265, and deadlift 305. I need to update my signature

Wannabebig Member
    Just be patient. Otherwise you'll end up injured or burnt out. Realize many of the greatest powerlifters don't peak until their thirties. What you're doing now is good. You need a good foundation before attempting Westside. Make sure to train your low back, abs, and triceps really hard. Also, learn rotator cuff exercises.

Your numbers are just great for your age. At this rate you'll become a top powerlifter when you hit 18 y/o lol.
    Stats
    5'10,185-190lbs, 12-16%bf

Them are some great numbers, period! My max bench is 275, max squat was 315 (but haven't maxed on that one recently, bench is up-to date), and my max dead is 365 (also up to date). Keep with it, you are doing great for your age, and keep tossing that iron around like it's nothing!
    Second place is just a generic term your mom created to make you not feel bad about losing, because second place is actually first loser!

Dang, turbostu. You are stronger than anyone on our team. Yikes.

Thanks, but I am actually the weekest one on our "team". And thats why no other schools want to compete against us, although three other schools could give us a decent run for our money, we would probably still beat them. You keep up with it though, you are lifting way more than I did at your age, my results came only after some serious hard work, day after day. It also helps if you lift with a couple really good friends that make you want to do more than you can, and you will amaze yourself, good luck to ya!