The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Where the grass is green and the girls are pretty

Powerlifting Vs. Bodybuilding, what is the main difference between the two?

Alright, so i'm interested in powerlifting, especially after seeing people on here (such as latman) get good results with it.

what is the difference between the two?

here is my routine, is it anything like a powerlifting routine at all?

Monday-chest/shoulders/triceps

*3 warm up sets of flat BB press
    2 sets of flat BB press
    2 sets of incline DB press
    *1 warm up incline flyes
    2 sets of incline flyes

*2 warm up sets of DB shoulder press
    2 sets of DB shoulder press
    *1 warm up set of side laterals
    2 sets of DB side laterals

*1 warm up set of CG bench press
    2 sets of CG bench press
    2 sets of incline overhead tricep extension with the EZ bar

Wed- legs/calves

*3 warm up sets of squats
    2 sets of squats
    *1 warm up set of leg press
    2 sets of leg press

*1 warm up set of laying leg curls
    2 sets of laying leg curls
    2 sets of standing leg curls

*2 warm up sets of sitting calve raises
    2 sets of sitting calve raises
    2 sets of standing calve raises

Fri-back/traps/rear delts/biceps/forearms

*3 warm up sets of deadlifts
    2 sets of deadlifts
    2 sets of close grip pulldowns
    2 sets of hammer strength rows

2 sets of DB shrugs

*1 warm up set of reverse flyes
    1 set of reverse flyes

*1 warm up set of BB curls
    2 sets of BB curls

2 sets of hammer curls

Alright, so how does a powerlifting differ from the above routine?

i'm looking for a good powerlifting routine, so if anyone can reply with one or with a link to one i would appreciate it.

please, serious replys only!

none of that "LOL" ****!

this is serious stuff here.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

lol
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

i knew this sort of a thing would happen!!!

Right, sorry.

What do you mean, "good results"? The difference is, powerlifting is all about strength in the three major lifts. Bodybuilding is about muscle size. Do you want to get bigger? Screw following a powerlifting routine. Do you just want to get stronger, and care little for aesthetics? Then follow a powerlifting-specific routine. Latman has awesome strength for his size (most noticeably in the deadlift), but he's not hyooge, and has not in fact gained much weight (if any) since starting a powerlifting routine. Not to say he COULDN'T, by adjusting the caloric intake, but it's not ideal.

Basically, the difference is, most good powerlifting routines will focus on some aspect of the big three during each session, and incorporate assistance work. What you have up there is essentially a bodybuilding workout. Incline flyes, side laterals, leg curls (Rather than, say, SLDLs), BB curls, etc... all bodybuilding stuff. If you want a powerlifting routine, you can be original like everybody and else go look at westside, or, you can modify what you got there. Wouldn't take a LOT of work to change it, but there is nothing PL-focused about that routine.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu

No one takes me seriously anymore...I've...I've become a clown on here. A joker.

Hey bwoy, you gonna reply?

There is a direct correlation between the amount of weight you use with perfect biomechanics in an exercise and the mass of the muscles that move that weight. that's lee haney btw.

so i always thought that if you get stonger your muscles will get bigger.

how can latman be so strong and not gain that much muscle??

also, where can i find the westsiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide program?

Originally posted by TripleP
    There is a direct correlation between the amount of weight you use with perfect biomechanics in an exercise and the mass of the muscles that move that weight. that's lee haney btw.

Lee Haney is wrong.

You CAN get stronger without getting bigger. True, in general, maximum contractile strength correlates directly to cross-sectional area, but lifting is never about taking a single muscle, isolating it, electrically stimulating it to maximum contraction, then letting it relax. Why can Chuck Vogelpohl squat over 1000 @ 220, and I would have trouble putting up 500? Our legs are actually rather similar in size, I'd wager.

The issue is, you must get stronger in order to get bigger... but you don't necessarily have to get bigger as you get stronger.

PLing is often about training the CNS and learning the mechanics of a lift to become 'better' at it.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

for me :

Powerlifting :

High Frequency (big three several times per week), High volume, Heavy weights/low reps (1-5), Low density (3-5min between sets), fast cadence (1/1-2) and work on the big three.

Intensity : 90-95% perhaps 100% sometimes.

you must become better and better on specific lifts, learn the best way to lift heavier ! increase the load is your goal.

example : I'm not familair with PL, I guess westside is a good example.

------------

Bodybuilding :

Low frequency (1-2x each muscles per week), High volume, Light weights/high reps (10-15), high density (60-90 sec between sets), low cadence 2/2 or 2/4 and both compounds and isolations (more isolations movements).

Barbell are just tools and load is not very important, which is important is to complete the prescribed volume and TUT per set with perfect form.

intensity : 60-80% a little bit more a little bit less depending of volume/TUT per set/cadence.

goal : increase your arm's size oops your body's size

example : German Volume Training
    Last edited by Gavan; 08-14-2002 at 11:10 AM.
    Gain Muscles ? Overload !
    Lose Fat ? Input < Output
    Genetic determines your potential
    Chins : 10x106kg Dips 10x109kg

thanks for the links nightop.

i always thought that in order to get bigger you have to get stronger. but i am now totally confused.

Mr. Stagg. so what you said above, the only way you would get bigger is if you ate more calories?

i want to be both, stronger and bigger.

Latty is a skinny little biatch. Yet lifts big weight. So if your objective aesthetics having your primary focus on plifting is not optimal. I think I'm the official Latman Physique Representative now, making sure people don't think he's buff or anything like that.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

lol

so eat more ya bastard, eat more, grow more.
    Beachbody coaching lets you turn your hobby into a career - Beachbody

.....bastads

anyways, the reason latman doesn't wanna grow is because you don't win powerlifting contests by weighing 200 lbs and deadlifting 400 lbs. But let's say you weighed 130 and deadlifted that 400 lbs, you've got a much better chance of winning now
    Beachbody coaching lets you turn your hobby into a career - Beachbody

if you want to get bigger and stronger just stick with bodybuilding.

It sounds like you have rather non-specific goals. No offense meant, but I want to get bigger and stronger doesn't tell me much.

I want to win Mr. Texas, or, I want a triple bodyweight bench, or a quadruple bodyweight squat tells me something.

Although they are not diametricaly opposed, gaining size is in fact quite different from gaining strength. I have gained a lot more strength than size since I started powerlifting, that is probably common especially for people who have been training for a while.

I have gained only about 10 lbs of bodyweight in the last year, but lowered my bodyfat, so LBM gain is probably a bit over 10 lbs, and at the same time put over 100 lbs on both squat and bench press.

I am stronger now in my muscles, to be sure, but I am also vastly more efficient at benching and squatting. I have trained my CNS to move the bar very fast and recruit a very high percentage of my available muscle fibers. If you are interested in being a competitive bodybuilder, then stay away from powerlifting routines. They don't make you pretty. Anyone that has seen me will testify to that.

But if you don't intend to compete, then powerlifting will definately get you stronger, and if you take in an excess of calories, it will also make you bigger. Just need to decide which is more important to you. Looking good or being strong, cause if you are like most of us, you have to choose one or the other. Very few can have both.

Chuck Vogelpohl squats over a grand at 220. Very muscular, insanely strong, and a much better build than most on the beach, but he would hardly be mistaken for an IFBB pro. Just depends upon what is most important to you.

B.

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Damn, I'm all up in this biatch.

Yes I am tiny, but the reason isn't because of how I train, it is caloric intake as B stated. I have purposely been keeping my weight where it is because I have been getting stronger. I do have plans to go up a weight class in the near future. You will then notice that I will most likely see better gains, just most likely not in proportion to bodyweight gained. In the last 10 months my best lift(deadlift) has gone from 330@157 lbs to 460@147. That is a massive difference(+130 lbs and -10 lb difference in bodyweight). This is because I train for 1RM strength and follow a moderately low calorie diet(for me anyway).

As GB stated, my 460 lb deadlift in the 148 lb class is more competitive than say El Pietro's 475 in the SHW class or whatever his lardass weighs. If my goal were just overall strength and I wasn't worried about being competitive on a lb for lb basis, I would definitely gain weight.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 515 SQ 295 BE 570 DL.....1375 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    515 SQ 302.5 BE 585 DL