Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm gonna get flamed for this but...

I'm gonna get flamed for this but...

I've gotta say that this idea of traning a bodypart only once a week is absolute nonsense.

A muscle is not going to grow with part time training, and that's exactly what a one day a week routine is...part time.

Probably the only bodypart you can get away with training once a week would be the legs because of how furious and relentless a leg workout can be.

Of course I am speaking from what has worked for me...every time I maintain a good regimen for the entire week that involves training the upper body 2-3 times a week, I do quite well in gains. Just eat plenty of HEALTHY calories, lots of protein, and get 6-8 hours of sleep a night.

Bare in mind, this is what has worked for me, and it's just difficult to believe other people getting gains by training the bodypart only once a week. It truly baffles me...

Now I now I'll get blasted and told that I'm a rookie (far from it) and that I don't know what I'm talking about, etc, etc because I'm disagreeing with what most "bodybuilders" have been brainwashed into thinking about training hard. But nonetheless, I'd like to see if there is anyone else here who has actually trained harder than the ol' one day a week for each bodypart and also had good gains...I know you guys are out there...who is brave enough to step out from the mold here?

Flame away....

I will agree with you. I have made good gains training some bodyparts more than once a week. the main thing I go by is how I feel. I usually train back twice a week and legs twice a week, but I will do different exercises with each workout. As long as I keep progressing I am planning on sticking with this routine.

The Chicken Mr'ga
    most of the time your indirectly training other muscles while directly focus'ing on one.. eg deadlifts also work ya forarms etc..
    so, your very rarely working out one bodypart a week..
    For every $1 you donate to the "buy Lude more weight plates foundation", you will help add 1kg to my 1RM.

<spam> Journal </spam>

Current Stats: 85kg @ 13.6%
    Goal: 87-88kg @ 8-9%
    Goal Due Date: 1/12/05

Pretty Fly for an Old Guy W8_4_Me's Avatar
    I'm sorry, but I cannot even imagine training a bodypart only once a week.

I hit everything at least twice and some things three times. I guess it could work for some people, but I'd never get anywhere doing training bodyparts only one day per week.

By bodypart, I am imagining that you mean muscle groups, right?
    "A winner...knows how much he still has to learn, even when he is considered an expert by others; A loser...wants to be considered an expert by others, before he has even learned enough to know how little he knows." - Sydney Harris

"It takes a big man to cry, and an even BIGGER man to laugh at that man!" - Jack Handey

"It's simple. If it jiggles, it's fat." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

i did a upper body / lower body 4 day split working upper 2 times and lower 2 times w/ 3 days off and it worked

W8_4_Me

I was reading one of your previous posts and I was wondering if you still do the program outlined in Arnold's bb encyclopedia? If so have you made good gains?

How can you train so many muscle more than once a week (besides the working you tri when working chest). I mean do you spend alot of time in the gym?
    Milk is the best Supplement

Well my friends think I'm ugly
    I got a masculine face - Tom Waits.

PR blaster!
    To blatantly say that you simply CAN NOT grow from once per week training is absurb. Perhaps it is not optimal for some people as there are lots of other factors that influence how often one can train, but you can grow off once a week.
    "****, if you told teenagers it was trendy to wear a paper bag on their heads with holes for the eyes they'd all be doing it."

Oh, man... I forgot how many folks here like to speak in absolutes.

Will you grow? Yeah, some. If you do 20 pushups a day and did nothing else, you would realize a gain. A very minute one, but a gain, none-the-less.

Yes, Bradley, I did "Advanced Level I" for the prescribed 6 weeks and it changed me from head to toe.... literally. I took week #7 off. Didn't touch a weight for 7 whole days... it was very odd, but I needed the break mentally AND physically.

Now I have decided to take "Advanced Level I" for another 6 weeks (7th off), then hopefully, I will be ready to charge up to the next level.

Gains? Phenomenal. I have never seen anything like it. The key for me with this was basically the true separation of muscle groups. I wasn't doing that very well before.

I would recommend that any experienced lifter give it a tumble. It surprised the hell out of me.
    "A winner...knows how much he still has to learn, even when he is considered an expert by others; A loser...wants to be considered an expert by others, before he has even learned enough to know how little he knows." - Sydney Harris

"It takes a big man to cry, and an even BIGGER man to laugh at that man!" - Jack Handey

Genetic Experiment GeneticallyGifted's Avatar
    Stockholm, Sweden...Mainly, New York,New York, Los Angeles,CA., Civitinova Marche, Italy
    Actually it matters on the instensity of the workout.

If you are doing Westside, HST, HIT, TUT,5X5 routine.
    If you are going to failure,just doing 10 reps for each set, the amount of sets.The list goes on forever. You jumped out saying that you train harder because you do a body part more then once a week. You haven't stated anything about the style of your workout and we can't see the intensity of it either. Some people like myself go balls-to-the-wall all out during workout sessions. I could be sore the whole week from one day. Now that maybe my genetics or it maybe my instensity. Its a toss of the coin.

I'm doing HST now which is training a bodypart more then once a week but that is just trying something new. I also have done HIT/TUT which I loved...and it was all out war every time. Each Bodypart once a week.

Now I'm not knocking your routine but I do knock your statement. Take in account other aspects first.

Jus' my two cents worth.

GG
    STATS COMING SOON:Age: 29 | Height: 5'10" | Weight: 78KG/ 172LBS| bf: |Years Training:?? | All-natural: Yes|

Chest: | Shoulders: | Upper Arm: | Forearm: |
    Waist: |Neck:| Upper Thigh: | Calf: |

Personal Bests: COMING SOON:
    Flat Barbell Presses: | Dips: |Wide-grip Palms Away: |
    Military Barbell Press: |Barbell Squats: |

GG - The soreness comes from the infrequent workouts, not the intensity.

Wow! Sore for a week? Ouch! When I get sore, i look forward to the next workout to get RID of the soreness.

I guess most of the people on this site have no f*cking clue what they are doing then. Thank you for your comments. Maybe you should start your own site so we can leave here and go learn the truth then.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Stockholm, Sweden...Mainly, New York,New York, Los Angeles,CA., Civitinova Marche, Italy
    Marshall, I believe that could be true but I get sore(not nearly as much) when I do HST also. That is every other day. Except on the weekends.
    STATS COMING SOON:Age: 29 | Height: 5'10" | Weight: 78KG/ 172LBS| bf: |Years Training:?? | All-natural: Yes|

Again, help the ol' guy... bodypart = muscle group, yes?

I mean, it MUST be. Today, I am going to train... my right foot. Tomorrow, I'll train my left arm. THOSE are bodyparts...

Back, shoulders, legs, abs, chest, arms... those are muscle groups.

Yes W8 that is what everyone means. Body Part=Muscle Group or Muscles.

You Know that you are just trying to make a point. Point taken.

No, I haven't talked to people about BB'ing in quite awhile... I just wanted to make sure I knew what y'all were talking about. The lingo evolves over time... sorry. Didn't mean ta ruffle ya feathers.

Wannabebig Member
    My progress has been much better since I switched from working muscle groups 2 or 3 times a week to once.

Greetings, All:

I don't know of any single type of exercise regiment that will work for every individual.

My contribution to the discussion:

"Do whatever works for you, but never be so bold to state that your way is the best way".

I employ single day training for muscle groups, for reference.
    Last edited by MRJ; 08-13-2002 at 06:40 PM.
    Best Regards,

Wannabebig Member
    I've been progressing much faster since I've switched to a legs/pecs-back/tri-bis-shoulders split. Seems like hitting my muscles HARD once a week works better than hitting them less 2-3 times a week. It makes sense, since the muscles grow by beeing pushed over the limit with intensity instead of pushing them less but more often.

I do 7 sets of pecs a week, 6 of bis, 7 of tris etc, and I've discovered than it works better this way. I used to do like 3 on a day and then 4 or the other one, didn't work as good. I also used to do as much exercices in a session as I could, doing like 30 sets total, but it didn't work too, since my body was too tired to train with intensity.

But hey, whatever work for you.

The Badass...I trained each body part 1x a week for the first 15 years that I lifted weights. my routines where geared more towards strength training but I also put on a lot of LBM. I went from 5'9 145 lbs to 6'0 240 lbs in the first 10 years of training which was fine for me.

Wannabebig Member
    Originally posted by LAM
    I went from 5'9 145 lbs to 6'0 240 lbs in the first 10 years of training which was fine for me.
    I think you probably wouldn't have gained those three inches of height if you had worked each muscle group twice a week.

Wannabebig Member
    What works for others probably doesn't work as well for you.

As I understand it resting is what causes muscle to grow, and IMO hitting a group more than twice a week is too much. It is always better to overrest than to overtrain.

I do the one muscle group a day plan. On each day I blast that one muscle group. I honestly couldn't do back twice a week due to deadlifts. And legs is out of the question. Doing 5 or more sets of squats followed by free bar hack squatting is more than enough for me.

Resting is not what causes a muscle to grow.

I've had success with working muscles 2x a week and with working them less than once a week. If you structure it right both methods work.

I'm doing a very low volume program right now due to the fact that I'm physically and mentally exhausted every day, and I'm having no problems shooting my strength up even despite losing almost 10 lbs.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock