The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Trying to figure this out JohnCollins's Avatar

Pix of my basement gym - Chris Lehr inspired me!

This is a shot of the whole gym.

Body Solid Linear Bushing Smith machine with plate-load hi/lo pulley system. Body Solid FID bench with leg extension/curl and preacher pad attachements. Body solid Roman Chair. Nordic Track. Standard barbell, EZ-Curl bar, two weight trees, about 500# of plates, 5-50 DBs plus rack, and swiss ball. Oh, and one poster with sexy gal using machine. For the price she should have come on video using it all, not on a stinkin poster!

JC
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by JohnCollins; 08-12-2002 at 07:25 PM.
    "Only two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe." --Albert Einstein

Had a good workout on my liver yesterday. Did a pretty high number of reps, but not to complete failure. Liver DOMS today is kinda bad...it has even reached my head! -- ElPietro

"If I ever found a chick who smelled like gun powder and spent cartridges, I'd run to a jewelry store, rob it, and propose to her with a sack of diamonds. " --Budiak

"I dance like a drunken white boy. I'm really screwed since I quit drinking." -- PowerManDL

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Here's the Smith Machine with attachments. The dumbbells are hanging on something called powerhooks. Instead of having to kick them up to your chest with your thighs as you lie back on the bench, you hang them on the smith bar and and they are in a position to grab above you like a barbell in a press bench would be.

I've got straight cable and EZ cable bars with swivel links, a D-handle, V-handle, row/chin (close grip) handle, rope, and ankle strap. The wooden thing is a calf block I made. I also have a foot brace for seated rows. And some PlateLoad magnetic weights for the DBs. OK, I'm a toy collector, I admit it .

JC
    Last edited by JohnCollins; 08-12-2002 at 07:28 PM.
    "Only two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe." --Albert Einstein

Had a good workout on my liver yesterday. Did a pretty high number of reps, but not to complete failure. Liver DOMS today is kinda bad...it has even reached my head! -- ElPietro

"If I ever found a chick who smelled like gun powder and spent cartridges, I'd run to a jewelry store, rob it, and propose to her with a sack of diamonds. " --Budiak

"I dance like a drunken white boy. I'm really screwed since I quit drinking." -- PowerManDL

Finally, the dumbbells (weights I mean ). No, Chris, I don't have a beer meister, either. Might be counterproductive.

JC

Nice! You inviting me over? lol. Ahh i wish I had a basement ohh well at least I tan when I train too, lol. Just sometimes the sun, is harder than the weights themselves.
    Cutting Cycle 02/04'

zwarrior -- folks go FROM Philly to Florida, generally, not the other way around.

But if you're in town, PM me, we got an extra room. Just don't laugh at what I lift!

JC

Simplistic
    Nice set up John, I especially like th DB rack.

awesome gym, i would love to have something that that as im sure alot of others would too

though i would pick alittle bit different equipement not thats theres anything wrong with yours.

instaed of the smith machine, i would get a power rack, also i would just have the db rack, ez curls bar, bench press, one of those rubber black mats for the floor and collars for the bb.

i dont have a basment cause thats where the kictchen and bedroom is (i live in a split level half house, if that makes sense), so i have little room. who knows, maybe one day i could build a shed or small garage
    Last edited by someoneunlikeyo; 08-12-2002 at 08:04 PM.
    my goals: gain weight and muscle mass

you should consider some mirrors so you can see yourself, pose your self till your hearts content. Actually mostly to see proper form being performed.
    Cutting Cycle 02/04'

How much did that set up cost you?
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

"Bah. You know I hate poor people."

Paul Stagg

Girlz Luv 2 Ride With Me
    looks cool, how much did ya have to $$
    Current Stats
    Weight: 146 lbs | Bodyfat: 13%
    Bicep Unflexed: 11.8" | Waist: 31" | Neck: 15" | Thigh: 21" | Calf: 13.4" | Chest (Underarm) 37"

Goals
    Weight: 178 lbs | Bodyfat: 8%
    Bicep Unflexed: 15.5" | Neck: 16.0" | Thigh: 25" | Calf: 16" | Chest (Underarm) 44"

Beware of Attack Ferrets
    very nice set up. Almost want to show my new set up off but it's in the living room now and looks like crap. Next month I'll be going into a nice apartment with a room totally dedicated to it.

Here's the cage I just got-

http://www.sears.com/data/product_im...322000-dlv.jpg

Fantastic!!! I'd give about anything to have sucha gym in my basement (yeah yeah I should get a basement first :O )
    Stats
    5'10,185-190lbs, 12-16%bf

Let's see, zwarrior, you're first. I thought about a cage, but decided on the smith for several reasons. I wasn't experienced when I got this stuff and don't have a training partner. I'm 46 and am a little chicken about my back. Yes, the cage would likely be better for overall hypertrophy, but I'm not a BBer, and the smith is just safer for the back (not trying to start an argument here, no "why or why not the smith machine" plz! I've done free sqauts and the fact that the bar can twist and lean and with the weights out at the end of long levers, I just said **** it. For my purposes the smith is fine, I can gas my thighs really good, so I'm happy. I don't press with it at all (except behind neck mil press) I use DBs for just about everything. And I gotta get mirrors.

Highly Fanatic -- I got bits and pieces of it so I didn't keep track of the whole thing. Smith with bench, preacher and leg ext/curl was about $1,200. DBs are prolly $220, roman chair is about $140, DB rack is about $100, weight plates and bars are about $200, rubber mats are $70 X 4 or $280, and assorted cable attachments are maybe $100?? So what's that, in the neighborhood of $2,250. Sounds like a lot, but I'm using it 2-3 X per week, and as long as it's not a clothes rack I think it's a bargain. I can think of a million excuses not to go to the gym, but I can't excuse myself out of going to the basement.

Furious Ferret, that's an awesome looking cage. They're selling better stuff at Sears these days.

Last thing will be a heavy bag hung from an I-beam. And mirrors. Then I'm done.

JC

NICE! i wish i had a basement of my own..heck ill start getting my friends to join..hehe..hey you must start from somewhere, simple biz..

the only thing though i must say is, the dumbbells dont go over 50lb..and yeah mirrors woulb be a great addition also.
    Last edited by beastin v6; 08-13-2002 at 10:19 AM.

Wannabebig New Member
    Originally posted by FuriousFerret
    very nice set up. Almost want to show my new set up off but it's in the living room now and looks like crap. Next month I'll be going into a nice apartment with a room totally dedicated to it.

Here's the cage I just got-

http://www.sears.com/data/product_im...322000-dlv.jpg
    I just ordered the same cage from Icon fitness.
    http://www.iconfitness.com/cgi-bin/n...&prrfnbr=99653
    349.99 with free shipping, 300# of weight, and the beach.
    Height: 6'
    Weight: 140#
    Internet Bench Press: 1000#

TurboDerek - The page you linked says it has a "Olympic-Width Smith Machine" but i sure don't see it. Looks like just a normal cage with a lat pulldown built in. You'll have to let us know if it really has a Smith or not and how it works.
    teh ownz joo all 4 free! if joo don't like it, you is teh GHEY!
    -Voodazz

Pretty Fly for an Old Guy W8_4_Me's Avatar
    I LOVE smith machines!

That looks like a nice set up!
    Last edited by W8_4_Me; 08-13-2002 at 02:08 PM.
    "A winner...knows how much he still has to learn, even when he is considered an expert by others; A loser...wants to be considered an expert by others, before he has even learned enough to know how little he knows." - Sydney Harris

"It takes a big man to cry, and an even BIGGER man to laugh at that man!" - Jack Handey

"It's simple. If it jiggles, it's fat." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

Beastin. I'm a wimp. Don't need over 50# yet, but I'm working on it!

W8, glad someone else here has something positive to say about them! I really like it too. Makes me feel much better about my back. I REALLY like the cables though. I collect exercises to do with the hi/lo cables. Fun.

JC

Pretty Fly for an Old Guy W8_4_Me's Avatar
    Well, that's me...

Nothing but a smith machine, a multi-station, a coupla DBs,and an ez curl bar...
    <---------
    "A winner...knows how much he still has to learn, even when he is considered an expert by others; A loser...wants to be considered an expert by others, before he has even learned enough to know how little he knows." - Sydney Harris

"It takes a big man to cry, and an even BIGGER man to laugh at that man!" - Jack Handey

"It's simple. If it jiggles, it's fat." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

Beware of Attack Ferrets
    It's a nice machince Derek, I really like it, the pulleys work just as good as the ones and the gym and it's really stable, good buy.

Wannabebig New Member
    Originally posted by FuriousFerret
    It's a nice machince Derek, I really like it, the pulleys work just as good as the ones and the gym and it's really stable, good buy.
    Thats good to hear I could not find any reviews of that model on the internet. I looked at I at Sears and it seemed nice. The weights are on back order and Iconfitness told me I have to wait another week and a half be for it ships.
    Height: 6'
    Weight: 140#
    Internet Bench Press: 1000#

free ham sandwich
    hahaha... smith machine... hahahahaha...

did you say smith machine?!?

hahahahaha

Congrats man - nice to know a fatty like me can inspire others. That reminds me, I forgot to take August pics of my progress.. I will try and remember to do that **** tmrw!