The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Please comment on my routine and diet

Hello, everybody. Today I finished my first week with my new routine (based on WBB #1). On the days I lift (Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays) I do 10 minutes on the escalator or treadmill and 3-4 sets of 20-25 reps for abs. For all excercises I do a 1x15 warmup set and to 2x8 sets. I do the warm up set with about half the weight of the work set (I'm still adjusting work sets weights, since for sets of 6-8 reps I can lift more weight than for sets of 10-15 reps, like I used to do)

Monday

Chest

Bench Press
    Incline DB Bench Press
    Flat DB Fly

Shoulders

Military Press
    DB Shoulder Press

Triceps

Narrow Grip Bench Press
    Skullcrushers

Tuesday

Cardio and Abs

Wednesday

Legs

Squats
    Leg Press
    Leg Curl
    SLDL
    One Legged Standing Calf Raise
    Seated Calves Raises

Thursday

Cardio and Abs

Friday

Back

Wide Grip Pulldowns
    Deadlifts
    Bent Over Barbell Row
    Shrugs

Biceps

Barbell Curls
    Hammer Curls

Saturday and Sunday

Rest

Diet

Meal 1 (Pre-workout 5:30-6:00 am)
    2 caps Ripped Fuel, bowl of cereal

Meal 2 (Post-workout 9:00-9:30 am)
    1 scoop whey, 1 cup 2% milk, 1 banana

Meal 3 (2:00-3:00 pm)
    Whatever my wife prepares for lunch (she says I'm starting to take this too seriously, so there's not much I can do about this meal, but I'm eating about half of what I used to eat at this time of the day)

Meal 4 (6:00-7:00 pm)
    1 can tuna with mixed vegetables

Meal 5 (9:30-10:00 pm)
    1 scoop whey, 1 cup 2% milk

I'm thinking about adding a meal (probably some fruit) around 11:00 am because I'm getting really hungry around 12-12:30.

What do you think of it? Any comments on how to improve it are greatly appreciated. Oh, btw, I've been training for almost 5 months, but it had been high volume training (4-6 excercises per body group, 4-5 sets per excercise, 10-20 reps per set).

Thanks for your input.
    Edgar V.

So you don't wanna get big, do you?

----------------------------------------

"If your arm measurement is currently 13 inches, you are worrying about the wrong things. Quit comparing to others, quit worrying about little details, get your ass in the gym, work as hard as you can, then go eat something. Repeat until huge." - Paul Stagg

"There is no miracle "look good" diet/pill other than determination and commitment" - geoffgarcia

"Freaking lift to get bigger, or stronger, or better at your damn sport, and quit worrying about weather or not your arm is 16 inches or 16.2 inches." - Paul Stagg

"If you want to look like Brad Pitt go run a marathon or something." - Severed Ties

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

That doesnt look like a whole lot of calories...

How much do you weigh? (sorry if you posted it and I missed it)

Oh, crap, I knew there was something missing on my post, lol.

I'm 5'8" and weight 185lbs (I have a few pounds, or maybe more than just a few, around the place where my waist used to be). I the last couple of months I've lost about a pound per week, my belly is noticeably smaller, but it's still there, so my main goal at the time is to get rid of all the extra fat. According to a body composition calculator at www.exrx.net I'm around 25% BF.
    Edgar V.

"If your arm measurement is currently 13 inches, you are worrying about the wrong things. Quit comparing to others, quit worrying about little details, get your ass in the gym, work as hard as you can, then go eat something. Repeat until huge." - Paul Stagg

"There is no miracle "look good" diet/pill other than determination and commitment" - geoffgarcia

"Freaking lift to get bigger, or stronger, or better at your damn sport, and quit worrying about weather or not your arm is 16 inches or 16.2 inches." - Paul Stagg

"If you want to look like Brad Pitt go run a marathon or something." - Severed Ties

I think you need to eat more...find out how many calories your body needs and just reduce it by a few hundred.

If you eat so lightly most of the weight you'll lose will be muscle.

Although 1lb per week loss is GREAT and a good number to shoot for, it does look like you are low in cals.
    Current Stats --------------- Training Goals: Improve athletic conditioning.
    Squat - 305lbs - 1/23/06 ----- 335
    Deadlift - 415lbs - 2/4/06 ---- 435
    Bench - 90s*7 ----------------- 100s*5
    Weight - 208 ------------------ 190
    Height - 5'10"

My Journal|My Routine|My FitDay
    WBBB|"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" - Thomas Edison

What do you guys suggest I could add to my diet?

And Stray, how can I find how many caloried my body needs?
    Last edited by EdgarMex; 08-16-2002 at 01:23 PM.
    Edgar V.

http://www.howstuffworks.com/question457.htm <--has some good reading on it.

Basically eat clean nd excercise and you'll be ok...but don't be afraid to eat or else you'll end up short-changing yourself.

Thanks for the link and the and the answer, man
    Edgar V.

Here is an article from this site that is a good read, and should answer lots of your questions

http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=19

You may want to check out the other articles here, they are pretty informative.
    Current Stats --------------- Training Goals: Improve athletic conditioning.
    Squat - 305lbs - 1/23/06 ----- 335
    Deadlift - 415lbs - 2/4/06 ---- 435
    Bench - 90s*7 ----------------- 100s*5
    Weight - 208 ------------------ 190
    Height - 5'10"

My Journal|My Routine|My FitDay
    WBBB|"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" - Thomas Edison

What about getting rid of one of the pressing movements for shoulders and throw in some dumb laterals? I would throw a meal in between meal 2 and 3. That seems like a long time to go without eating anything.

Alot of good info can be found running searchs on these boards

Stray and ericg, I'm going to go ahead and check out the articles on dieting and try to find a way to improve my diet.

Bradley, what would be the advantage of dropping the shoulder presses and doing only the laterals? Would it be better if I add the db laterals and keep one of the pressing movements (like the db presses or maybe arnold presses)?

Thanks everybody for your responses
    Edgar V.

Yeah thats what I am saying. I just don't see the advantage in doing to pressing movements. For shoulders I would do one pressing movement (military/arnold press) and then throw in some dumbell laterals.

Cool, I'll drop the militaries and do some arnold presses (I like them better than the regular db presses) and lateral raises on monday's work out. Thanks
    Edgar V.