The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Confused again, cardio fat loss question,

I have been doing cardio not for the cardiovascular benefits but just to lose body fat. I recently read that if I keep my heart rate up to high I will be using glycogen for energy instead of fat. Is this true? If so what % heart rate should I shoot for to burn fat most effeciently? BTW my cardio sessions are right when I wake up, on an empty stomach, 30 to 50 min.

Thanks,
    Jerry

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I think you may be over analysing it.Do you do interval training when doing aerobics? If so then don't worry about your heart rate % and just get a good sweat going.

I do intervals. Usually with a peak every 4 minutes. My heart rate is usually around 160bpm for the duration of the session.

Jerry

that's fine. It's about burning off calories, not what the calories are.

Your body will always be using glycogen and fat for fuel.. the ratio of the two will vary.

In the grans scheme of things, you need to use more calories than you eat to drop bodyfat.

Interval training is ace.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

perhaps a high intensity session raising bpm will burn slightly more glycogen at the time than than if you were to do it slower. Its debatable.
    However, in the long run of a day, the higher the intensity, the greater your metabolism has been raised.

Thats why HIIT (high intensity interval training) is now getting recognized as a superior form of cardio. Its a quick session but should get your heart pumping like no other and help you burn some extra fat all day. The smaller duration (normally 15-20min) also helps you sustain more muscle mass whilst doing the exercise.
    "They will spend their nights dreaming of six-pack
    abs and a rock hard physique, little do they realize eventually we will reach
    our goal and they will be dreaming of the body we walk around with every
    dayÖonly then will they understand." -- Severed Ties

"There are 6 billion people in this world, and I'm #1." -- me

Could you give me an example of an HIIT routine? Would it be the same as I am doing only more intense and for a shorter period of time? I'm all about less time with better results.

Jerry

jds22...if you are talking about high-intensity cardio that is the case but not with low and moderate-intensity cardio...

I just read an article on HIIT. Does this really work? I have been trying to up my cardio times to the 40min and 50min mark thinking I would lose more body fat. Gonna give HIIT a try first thing tomorrow morning. I can't wait to see if it does in fact speed up the waist shrinking phase I am in.

Thanks again,
    Jerry