Thread: For those interested in HST...

For those interested in HST...

Thought this was quite an interesting post, and that it was worth sharing with those who use or are interested in HST, but don't frequent the HST forum:
    Originally posted by Bryan Haycock to the HST forums
    Here's my opinion for what its worth.

Mechanical tension on the protein structures of the muscle cells is the primary stimulus for hypertrophy. This tension can elicit anabolic processes with or without damaged to the cell membrane. However, some damage to the cell membrane seems to be critical for the action of autocrine and paracrine growth factors (FGF, IGF-1, etc). Without the activity of these growth factors there will be no increase in myonuclei, and thus no significant increase the the volume and/or number of the cells.

Some improvements in muscle cell function do occur even if the number of myonuclei remains the same. These won't lead to significant hypertrophy though. These improvements in muscle cell functional capacity involve ERK1/2. This is the pathway activated most when you get an intense burn and/or train to failure.

Muscle "activity" such as the typical repetition, and the metabolic byproducts and change in the internal millieu of the cell also "contribute" to hypertrophy, but only indirectly. Reps, and fatigue activate signaling proteins and transcription factors that increase protein synthesis. This increase in protein synthesis allows an increase in crucial enzymes, receptors (yes even androgen receptors), membrane and structural proteins. Remember that protein breakdown is also accelerated so the net effect is most often merely a maintenance of muscle protein levels. This is what goes on after each workout when plateauing after years of training.

Keep in mind, that without the activity of IGF-1 and FGF outside of the cell, satellite cells will not contribute significantly to hypertrophy. The process is dependant on microtrauma at some degree. Review the material on mechanotransduction for more info.

Studies have shown too much microtrauma is a bad thing. The rapid infiltration of immune factors (the primary cause of DOMS) actually causes significant breakdown of muscle proteins and the death of some cells.

Now, the ability of mechanical tension to cause microtrauma to the cell membrane is dependant on the condition of the extracellular matrix. If it is robust as a result of chronic strain, is will take an unaccustomed load to induce any trauma. Your ability to apply this load is dependant on your voluntary strength. Your body is able to protect your muscle cells from microtrauma even when using max loads. It isn't always able to protect tendons.

HST incorporates ever increasing loads in order to stay ahead of the adaptive curve. This curve is set by the tissues level of conditioning at the time the load is applied. This is as much an art as a science. Because we can't do a biopsy of the muscles everytime we train, we ahve to guess how much, how hard, and how often, based on the avialable research an the "feeling" of the tissue at the time.

Once you have maxed out your voluntary strength levels, growth will stop. It may take several weeks for it to stall. Once this happens, HST incorporates Strategic Deconditioning in order to lower the level of conditioning of the muscle tissue. This is necessary in order to use "submax" weights. Why use submax weights? Because using max weights eventually stops working, and simply increases the risk of injury.

Is the purpose of SD to cure overtraining? No. Research has shown a week is not long enough to reverse the symptoms of overtraining. If you have been properly managing your training volume, you wont be overtrained anyway. If you are, you should adjust your training levels. [Note] Overtraining is not necessary for hypertrophy. Methods such as "over reaching" are used to increase performance, not hypertrophy.

Are the 15s of HST designed to stimulate hypertrophy? No. The 15s are designed to condition your tendons for the upcoming heavy loads.

Is there something magical about using 5-10 pound weight increments each workout? No. The idea is that the weight must steadily increase over time, or no further growth will occur. Go ahead and use the same weight twice, its no big deal. If your starting weights are too small, use fewer increments and start with more weight.

Is training every 48hours magical? No. But its pretty close! At times I have found that adding an extra day of rest during the 3rd & 4th weeks of 5s/negatives helps me feel better while I'm dieting, or extra stressed out from life issues.

Is knowing and understanding the science of muscle cell physiology necessary to perfect Hypertrophy-Specific Training? Yes.

Is understanding the science necessary to get the benefits from HST? No. But you will have a harder time making "on the fly" decisions about adjustments to your training.

Will people still ask questions about this stuff after they claim to have read the material already written? Yes. But that's not a bad thing. It gives people a chance to help eachother and have a good time talking about stuff they love to do.

Finally, please remember my motives for sharing HST over the last few years. I want to help people who want to grow. I am a bodybuilder myself. I am always trying to add muscle. The more the better. Because of unique circumstances in my life, I have collected a great deal of information about how muscles grow in response to training, food, and drugs. It has helped me tremendously. And, you reap what you sow, so, I thought I would sow and let the universe workout the rest.

Sorry for the spelling errors.
    Last edited by Blood&Iron; 08-15-2002 at 07:28 PM.

We tend to think of Sisyphus as a tragic hero, condemned by the gods to shoulder his rock sweatily up the mountain, and again up the mountain, forever. The truth is that Sisyphus is in love with the rock. He cherishes every roughness and every ounce of it. He talks to it, sings to it. It has become the mysterious Other. He even dreams of it as he sleepwalks upward. Life is unimaginable without it, looming always above him like a huge gray moon. He doesn’t realize that at any moment he is permitted to step aside, let the rock hurtle to the bottom, and go home.

Parables and Portraits, Stephen Mitchell

That's a nice summation of concepts, there, even if he is using it to hawk his own brainchild.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Wannabebig Member

Re: For those interested in HST...

Originally posted by Blood&Iron
    Are the 15s of HST designed to stimulate hypertrophy? No. The 15s are designed to condition your tendons for the upcoming heavy loads.
    Are the upcoming loads really heavy if at the moment your working rep range is 5 anyway. What I mean is atm I workout using what to me are heavy loads in sets of 5. I'd assume my tendons are conditioned enough to handle this 'load'. If I was to switch to HST soon, which I was planning, would I even need the 15s?

Gen_chat worst nightmare

Re: Re: For those interested in HST...

Originally posted by PrinterPaper

Are the upcoming loads really heavy if at the moment your working rep range is 5 anyway. What I mean is atm I workout using what to me are heavy loads in sets of 5. I'd assume my tendons are conditioned enough to handle this 'load'. If I was to switch to HST soon, which I was planning, would I even need the 15s?
    No, but you would need 9 to 12 days off to decondicion.

the kid from oz
    sorry but i am not in the mood for reading that much
    is he saying its good or bad or what?
    can someone sum that up in about a paragraph

Gen_chat worst nightmare
    Originally posted by bigedge
    sorry but i am not in the mood for reading that much
    is he saying its good or bad or what?
    can someone sum that up in about a paragraph
    Well, print it and read it later....

Wannabebig Member

Re: Re: Re: For those interested in HST...

Originally posted by restless

No, but you would need 9 to 12 days off to decondicion.
    Thanks for the answer. Would you recommend starting at 10 reps then and shortening the program to 6 weeks after the deconditioning?

Gen_chat worst nightmare

Re: Re: Re: Re: For those interested in HST...

Originally posted by PrinterPaper

Thanks for the answer. Would you recommend starting at 10 reps then and shortening the program to 6 weeks after the deconditioning?
    You could do that, or you could start at 12 reps, then 10,8,6,etc...doing only one week of each. You could also do just one week of fifteens. Shortening it to 6 weeks shouldn't be a problem, my first two only lasted five weeks and i had very good results from them.

Wannabebig Member
    got it. Thanks again.

You can also pick a starting weight for each exercise and increase the weight every workout. Do as many reps as you can without going to failure. Eventually you'll be doing fewer reps as the weights increase. Some exercises will reach this point before others. At some point, some of the exercises will be in the 5rep or 5max range, while others may be in the 8-10 range. You can either stick with the same weight for the maxed out exercises, or drop them for the rest of the cycle. This approach gives you a constantly increasing weight load, and a more or less constantly decreasing rep range, instead of an artificial 15-12-10-8-5-etc scheme.

Gen_chat worst nightmare
    Originally posted by Delphi
    You can also pick a starting weight for each exercise and increase the weight every workout. Do as many reps as you can without going to failure. Eventually you'll be doing fewer reps as the weights increase. Some exercises will reach this point before others. At some point, some of the exercises will be in the 5rep or 5max range, while others may be in the 8-10 range. You can either stick with the same weight for the maxed out exercises, or drop them for the rest of the cycle. This approach gives you a constantly increasing weight load, and a more or less constantly decreasing rep range, instead of an artificial 15-12-10-8-5-etc scheme.
    But be shure to use a large enough increment. Don't go around increasing one or two pounds in compound movements. Use the increments Bryan sugests on the HST articles.