The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Once a week??????

Hi all,

I finished reading the training routines on this site and I am baffled. If I read it correctly, one would only excercise each part of the body once a week. Traditional "wisdom" would have you hit each part of the body 2-3 times a week with 1-2 days rest.

I don't claim to be an expert, or even well versed in this deal, but I find it hard to believe once a week is enough. Comments?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

You read the articles correct. It's enough imo. I've be training like that for about 6-7 months and I've made incredible gains.
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

"Bah. You know I hate poor people."

Paul Stagg

You grow out of the gym, not in it. What I'm saying is that once a week allows you to recoup, your muscles to heal and grow before you hit them again. If that once a week is done with intensity, it will be more then enough.

Oh, and most tradition "wisdom" is nothing more then fairy tales.
    LaLa

Gen_chat worst nightmare
    I use HST and train everything 3 times a week. Lower volume, of course. Maybe there's something to tradicional wisdom as i'm making better gains than ever.

A. F.
    You grow outside the gym... however isn't a week of rest too much ? I would think 2-3 days of rest would be enough too... just my opinion.

Grasshoppa
    You do work most of the same muscles on each training day. Most of the movements are compound exercises, so I think you get enough of the work out and maximized rest.
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

:withstupi
    "damn...can't beat logic like that.
    NAte is exactly right." - Tryska

Originally posted by Spawn_X
    You grow outside the gym... however isn't a week of rest too much ? I would think 2-3 days of rest would be enough too... just my opinion.
    I believe it is. Everyone has a different body type, however, & some training methods work better than others for different people. I train each body part twice a week. I've trained every day (when i was young ), 3 times a week, & only once a week. Two times seemed to work better for me, so .......
    Southern Pride !

A. F.
    3 times/week seems to do it for me.. if I train once a week I don't seem to progress forward. At the load I'm giving my body, I recover in about a day or two.

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks guys. I see I CAN read correctly. And sounds like some differences of opinion on the matter.

Gotta think about this one. Right now I'm 3 times a week but I doubt at the same intensity as most of you. Then again, I'm coming from way down and CAN'T do the same intensity.

We'll see. Thanks again.

Grasshoppa
    It's all about how your body responds and recovers, really. Some people need the extra rest, some don't. As long as you hit your muscles hard and give them adequate rest, you should grow.
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

A. F.
    What do you think about HIT 3x/week? Same muscle group (chest) pretty much every other day..

...has lost his saucepan
    High Intensity Training 3* a week? Do you not like your CNS?
    HelP mY HeaD iS sTucK tO Teh D0oR

oOne in five hundred women have 3 nipples.
    oA cockrach will live 9 days without its head before it starves to death.
    oThe average man spends 27 hours a year having sex.
    oA pigs orgasm lasts for around 30 minuites.

oMy flash - Dancin simpsons | kill grampa | kill barney
    oLinks - Email me | My journal | Gurn.net | Trance.nu

Wannabebig Member
    Every person's body is different. I found once a week to be woefully inadequate, i'd gain, then loose the gains in the time before I hit the muscle again.

sigh.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Originally posted by arnach
    Every person's body is different. I found once a week to be woefully inadequate, i'd gain, then loose the gains in the time before I hit the muscle again.
    You'd gain?

Gain what? Pump? Water retention?

Then you lost it a few days later, right?

You most certainly did not lose muscle mass in a week.

The premise of exercising a certain group of muscles DIRECTLY only once a week, is based around the idea that those same muscles are worked EXTREMELY thoroughly during the other movements you execute during the rest of your training days.

You're not LITERALLY training your biceps, and then letting them rest for 6 days. My friend trains each muscle group *DIRECTLY* once a week, and says his bis get the equivalent of maybe 3 or 4 days of true rest....not 6.

I'm not advocating training this way, in fact, it's not the method I use.

I dunno, though, my old room mate was a body builder, so I always assumed that these days, everybody EXCEPT me was training each group directly once a week. I guess it depends on your perspective.

For the most part......again.....FOR THE MOST PART, that's how professional bodybuilders train, but I mean that only as a reference, and not as a guideline.....not that I'm some "authority" or something.

It just amazes how some people log on and make comments like, "C'mon guys, don't be p*ssies, you think the pros only train each group directly once a week?"

Uhhh, yeah, that's exactly what they do.

You're right about one thing though.....you need to do what works for you.

If you're currently only causing enough microtrauma to your muscles whereby they're ready to rock again 2 days later at an incrementally increased load, then you need to stick with it.

For the most part, that is what I do too, but I really only have one heavy Working Set.

People who EFFECTIVELY (this rules out the morons) train each muscle group DIRECTLY only once a week, however, require much more time than that. They typically use high volumes of sets and reps.

My friend probably gets more INDIRECT work on his biceps and forearms by loading 45s onto all the different apparatuses he uses, than I get doing any other movements with the exception of curls.