The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Gaining mass and size

Hi, I wanted opinions from others about my next move. I have been training for the past 8 weeks with a westside style of lifting and have been able to get stronger on bench and squat. MY 1rm for bench went from 250lbs to 285lbs in the eight weeks and I also gained about 75lbs on my squat. I now want to work on gaining more mass and plan to work each muscle group once a week with the following split:
    day1 Chest
    flat benchpress 3x4-6reps
    dumbbell benchpress on Incline 3x8-12reps
    weighted dips 3x6-8

Day2 back
    pullups 3x8-12
    dumbbell row 3x6-8
    t-bar row 3x-10

Day 3 off

Day 4 Shoulders
    dumbbell press 3x6-8
    military press 3x6-8
    lateral raise 3x10
    shrug 3x10

Day5 legs
    squat 4x12-15
    legpress 4x12-15
    leg ext 3x10-12
    good morning 4x10-12
    leg curls 3x10-12
    calf raise 3x12
    Day 6 arms
    Close grip benchpress 3x6-8
    french press 3x6-8
    skull crusher 2x6-8
    barbell curl 3x6-8
    dumbbell hammer curl 3x6-8
    preacher curl 2x8-10

day 7 off

I want to do this for about 9 weeks and then go back to westside again. Is this something that looks alright or should I just do something else. I want to try west side again to get more strength so that when I do a more traditional bodybuilding routine I can use more weights. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. You guys have helped me out alot already.
    thanks. Ps I am 41yr old and have been able to get alot of strength so far and have only been lifting for about two years.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

layin up against a dumpster in a 100 dollar jumper, smothered in southern comfort.
    too much volume on arms, keep sets per part to a max of 5 on arms. Shoulders too, waaay too much volume. The 3 sets of militaires look good though. Rep ranges look decent.

Go back to doing Westside but when doing your M.E. day do a max triple rather than doing a max single, also on your accessory work, raise the reps on all accessories up to 10 to 12 reps for 3 or 4 sets. That should do the trick.

If you drop the Westside program and do bodybuilding for a while, you will lose strength. It is possible to gain muscle mass and strength while doing Westside with the subtle tweaks I mentioned above.

Hope this helps.

B.

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks Benchmonster, I never thought about doing westside in that fashion. It sounds like a great idea. I really like the strength I received from westside training and would hate to lose that, however, I do want to build more mass.