Thread: Gaining mass and size

Hybrid View

Wannabebig Member

Gaining mass and size

Hi, I wanted opinions from others about my next move. I have been training for the past 8 weeks with a westside style of lifting and have been able to get stronger on bench and squat. MY 1rm for bench went from 250lbs to 285lbs in the eight weeks and I also gained about 75lbs on my squat. I now want to work on gaining more mass and plan to work each muscle group once a week with the following split:
    day1 Chest
    flat benchpress 3x4-6reps
    dumbbell benchpress on Incline 3x8-12reps
    weighted dips 3x6-8

Day2 back
    pullups 3x8-12
    dumbbell row 3x6-8
    t-bar row 3x-10

Day 3 off

Day 4 Shoulders
    dumbbell press 3x6-8
    military press 3x6-8
    lateral raise 3x10
    shrug 3x10

Day5 legs
    squat 4x12-15
    legpress 4x12-15
    leg ext 3x10-12
    good morning 4x10-12
    leg curls 3x10-12
    calf raise 3x12
    Day 6 arms
    Close grip benchpress 3x6-8
    french press 3x6-8
    skull crusher 2x6-8
    barbell curl 3x6-8
    dumbbell hammer curl 3x6-8
    preacher curl 2x8-10

day 7 off

I want to do this for about 9 weeks and then go back to westside again. Is this something that looks alright or should I just do something else. I want to try west side again to get more strength so that when I do a more traditional bodybuilding routine I can use more weights. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. You guys have helped me out alot already.
    thanks. Ps I am 41yr old and have been able to get alot of strength so far and have only been lifting for about two years.

layin up against a dumpster in a 100 dollar jumper, smothered in southern comfort.
    too much volume on arms, keep sets per part to a max of 5 on arms. Shoulders too, waaay too much volume. The 3 sets of militaires look good though. Rep ranges look decent.

Go back to doing Westside but when doing your M.E. day do a max triple rather than doing a max single, also on your accessory work, raise the reps on all accessories up to 10 to 12 reps for 3 or 4 sets. That should do the trick.

If you drop the Westside program and do bodybuilding for a while, you will lose strength. It is possible to gain muscle mass and strength while doing Westside with the subtle tweaks I mentioned above.

Hope this helps.

B.

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks Benchmonster, I never thought about doing westside in that fashion. It sounds like a great idea. I really like the strength I received from westside training and would hate to lose that, however, I do want to build more mass.