The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: My Journal

Here are some pics of the new gym from the web. I did not take these pictures by the way.

Our tuition dollars at work. Remember, they will use "lack of budget" as an excuse when they don't fix freeweights when they break down. Of course, the "budget" was sure there for this junk. Why don't they just buy a bunch of recliners and plop them in front of the TVs?

This picture pretty much covers everything in the free weight area. Notice all the flat benches, yet there is not one true power rack (just less flexible squat racks).

Here are your typical cardio queens. Notice how every one of them is doing something else while working out. You have the one on the bottom reading a book and grabbing onto the bars. The one in the middle looks like she is doing some type of homework while working out. The one on top is reading a magazine. I bet they got a better workout walking to the gym. The one in the middle is following the proper dress code with some volleyball shorts. However, she is sort of defeating the purpose of them by covering things up with the long shirt. The one on top has a dress code violation with the long pants and is tan during the winter.

Here are the rest of them:
    http://www.purdue.edu/RecSports/const/const.html
    5-9 170

Whoa man at the flat benches!! That's crazy. But I bet at almost any given time all those will be filled up. Absolute insanity!
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

LOL! Yeah a ton of flat benches but no power rack. What a shame. Looks like a good gym though. I go to the YMCA and we have 4 flat benches, a power rack, and and incline press. No decline though I have to do them in the power rack, sucks.

Monday January 13 2003 (Rest Day)
    Random Info:
    1. My classes started up again today. I had a nice surprise in thermodynamics when the professor said homework will not be collected. I realize that it is still wise to do it anyway, but it sure will help when the only deadline will be the exam as opposed to having to stay up late every other night due to a homework being due the next day. Plus, not collecting homework usually brings down the curve in a class which is always good. The second class was Theory of Reinforced Concrete. It was mainly an intro, but it sounds like the labs will be due the day of the lab (which would be very nice since that would mean that write-ups would have to be short considering we would have 3 hours between the lab and writing everything up. The third class of the day was Route and Construction Surveying. I would like to think that I would have an advantage in this since I have land surveyed the past two summers. However, I learned very quickly that actual field work varies greatly from what you do in class. To say things bluntly, the first surveying class was a major waste of time in relation to what you see in the real world. Only a few things such as the plan and profile lab were actually useful. However, having ďtriviaĒ type of questions on exams made things bad. The professor also said we would be using the software Eagle Point in lab. I F*ckin Hate Eagle Point! That program has limitations in how you can save and it crashes about once every five minutes.
    2. Now I will evaluate the chicks in each class. Thermo was full of mostly MEís since it is a Mechanical Engineering class. I have to admit that Civil does seem to have the best looking women as compared to other fields of engineering. However, that is not saying much! I honestly donít think a single woman out of the 10 or so in that lecture would even be a 7. The second class was my best one. There were three in there that I would rate as an 8. That is pretty good considering that there are about 5 or 6 attractive women in all of civil engineering here. So, I can say that I got over half of them in my class. There is one more in there that is pretty mediocre, but has a nice pair of legs. So, she gets a 7 mainly on her legs alone. The surveying class is my third class in my educational career that is all guys. That sucks!
    3. My schedule is looking like I will be working out during the weekdays at 11am on Tuesday and Thursday. I would ideally like to work out at 10am, but I have class then. I could try for 7:30am, but I wonít do that unless things get really bad at 11am. Usually, things are only a nightmare between 3 and 11pm. I define ďnightmareĒ by it taking 2 hours to get a 45 minute workout done due to the crowdedness. (it really does take that long between the times I listed) During the fall, the longest workout I had before noon was about 1:15. That is only mildly annoying, but Iím afraid things will be worse this semester (they have been the last 3 years).
    4. HEIDI FROM JOE MILLIONAIRE IS A MAJOR BITCH! I was so happy to see her rejected. At least the others were graceful when they got eliminated. Heidi acted like a total bitch. It is amazing that someone can be so much lower on the food chain than the other lowlifes. She is a typical person that has a horrendous personality and still somehow thinks she is a god damn queen! I guess she thinks of herself like that due to the inevitable ass kissing she probably gets from most guys. If guys would treat her the way it looks like she treats other people, she would never get away in life with her sh*t. However, we all know that most guys provoke this kind of behavior by turning their head the other way if a woman is attractive.
    Song of the Day:
    Back off Bitch----Guns N Roses (Track 8 off Use Your Illusion I)

I dedicate this one to Heidi. Axl had one of the best lines when he said ďFace of an angel with the love of a witchĒ However, that would be stretching things to say that Heidi has the face of an angel. She is about an 8 in my opinion. However, she more than makes up for it with her extra love of a witch. When she got eliminated, I kept thinking of another line in the track which goes, ďItís time to burnÖ..burn the witch!Ē

Calories~3400 Hopefully that scale will go up this time. I have 13 pounds to gain by Mid March. Of course Iím planning to spread the weight gain out to be slow and steady to try to get the most lean body mass out of the bulk. If things go perfect, Iíll just stay at 175. I was 162 last workout (which means I was about 159 if you donít count clothes and shoes), I want that scale to say 165 by tomorrow morning.

Bulking Plan:
    Here is my current plan on my bulk. I plan to add a pound per week for most weeks. Some weeks, Iíll try to add two pounds just so I can get to 175 by then.
    This Week: Hopefully Iím 165 tomorrow.
    Next Week: 166
    2 Weeks: 167
    3 Weeks: 169
    4 Weeks: 170
    5 Weeks: 171
    6 Weeks: 172
    7 Weeks: 174
    8 Weeks: 175

HomeYield: You are correct. All the flat benches are usually taken. I really wish they would be adjustable so I could do my DB bench and incline bench on them if all the adjustable benches by the dumbbells are taken. (which they usually are)

MonStar: The new gym looks nice, but is way too crowded. They could literally double size of it and things would still be crowded. It is beyond me why they didn't keep their old machines to add to the new ones they got. That would of helped make things less busy. The sad thing too about the people that work out there is that most of the people that do 10 sets of bench per day probably deadlift the same as they bench. I only saw one guy deadlift more than 400 all of the fall semester.
    5-9 170

However, I learned very quickly that actual field work varies greatly from what you do in class. To say things bluntly, the first surveying class was a major waste of time in relation to what you see in the real world.
    It was that way my entire time through college. I learned almost nothing in school that has helped in any of my internships or jobs so far. Makes you wonder what the real point is. I mean you learn, but most of its not applicable in real world situations. I guess if I had gone on to do real engineering work it might be different, but then again I doubt it.
    What is elite?

Thermo dynamics....igggghhhhhh.....*insert other guttural sounds here*. The simple mention of it conjures images of P-chem lectures...and p-chem..well evil does not do it justice. I personally feel that if you don't do an internship you really don't gain much real world experience until grad school. Although this may apply more to my field, I think it applies to several fields.
    Last edited by ectx; 01-14-2003 at 12:51 PM.
    ecDoesIt

"You're such a girl carbon. You're strong as hell, making wicked progress, and I post in your journal. WTF more could you want?"
    Anthony

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    - Sinclair Lewis

My latest (and only) WBB article.

Tuesday January 14 2003 (Chest/Triceps)
    Weight = 166.5 Good, it is back up some. The calipers said 7.6. I believe they said something like 6.5 at the same weight before I got sick. I am starting to believe more in judging my leanness by my abs rather than calipers. There can be a decent amount of error with the calipers from measurement to measurement. Since I care more about lifts than bodyfat and weight, it is still disappointing with the huge amount (and I mean huge) of strength I have lost in mainly my chest and delts.

DB Bench (80/8) This may be even worse than what I did last week. I had 75 for 11 last week. Before I got sick, I was doing the 85ís for 9. So, Iím down ten pounds plus one rep. That takes me all the way back to September 17.
    Amount of Hard Work Down the Drain: ~4 months

Tricep Extensions (85/9) This wasnít so bad. I last did this weight on November 15.
    Amount of Hard Work Down the Drain: ~2 months

DB Incline Bench (70/9) Hey, it is my least damaged chest exercise.
    Amount of Hard Work Down the Drain: ~3 months

Tricep Pushdowns (11 bars/7) This is a new machine. They also got rid of the attachment I used for it. Therefore, Iím using a new attachment also.

Ab Crunch Machine (130/15) This is a new machine. I donít like how you have to put your arms on top of the thing you rest your chest on. They made it so you have to push it down a little with your arms before you can push it with your abs. I donít like that because I want my abs to do all the work. On the nautilus machine, I could rest my hands on my abs and only touch the bar with my chest. That way, I was assured that my abs were doing all the work.

Dips (BW+85/6) This is terrible. I was doing BW+100 for 6 before I got sick.
    Amount of Hard Work Down the Drain: ~3.5 months.

Hot Chicks:
    1. This one had a gray shirt and brown hair in a ponytail. She had a dress code violation with black windsuit pants.
    2. This one had some short gray shorts and light brown hair in a ponytail. She looked a lot like Miss Unorthodox DB Laterals (but wasnít her).

The winner of the day goes to Miss Unorthodox DB Lateralsí Sister. I could have found a lot more if I would have paid more attention. The machines and the free weights are in separate areas now. You canít see one area from the other. So, these lists may be shorter due to me not wanting to make huge stares.

Gym Mysteries:
    1. There was lots and lots of cottage cheese today in the cardio area. It was more than obvious that a vast majority of these people are resolutioners.
    2. You had guys that were probably resolutioners doing 30 pound DB presses and others doing 55 pound DB bench. But hey, they are as strong as me since they are about the same height and weight.

Other Stuff:
    1. Things werenít a nightmare in the weight area. It seemed like most resolutioners were doing cardio. The cardio area was absolutely packed. The weight area was only slightly more crowded than it normally is at 11am. I was able to get my workout done in an hour.
    2. Iím happy to say that the new DBs they have there donít catch on the wrists. That is very good since I my chest will be the weakest link rather than the DBs knocking on my wrists. If that would have happened, I would have had to give up DB exercises.
    3. It was a good basketball game tonight against Michigan State. The crowd was really into things for a majority of the game. Even though Purdue won, their big men desperately need to rebound better. A 6-1 guard shouldnít be leading the team in rebounds for this game.

Song of the Day:
    Burnout-----Green Day (Track 1 off Dookie)

This is the first track on the album that made Green Day a household name back in 1994. This track made a great first impression on me. It is a good way of summarizing Green Dayís upbeat but heavy music. They have a unique sound that makes them special in my opinion.

New Yearís Resolution Moment of the Day:

Todayís Nominee:
    Some Carb Blocker

I know people are split on here about carbs. I feel everything is calories in vs. calories out. When I kept track of my calories first semester, my weight was VERY predictable simply based on how many calories I had. If I had over 2800 calories, I would gain weight. If I ate less than that, I would lose weight. I just think carbs get a bad name since protein rich foods such as chicken and tuna are low in calories. When it really is just a less calorie dense food, people quickly say the weight loss was due to not having carbs. I also feel that trying to eliminate as many carbs as possible is a stupid thing to do. I like the energy that carbs give me. If I ever wanted to lose weight, all I would have to do is gradually decrease calories while using the same 40/40/20 split that I use.

HomeYield: I strongly feel that many classes in college are not for you to learn the material. They are there to see how much BS you can take in my opinion. The core courses seem to be made for you to learn the material, but unrelated courses (such as electricity and optics) seem to just be there to weed people out. Most of those weed out classes I remember absolutely nothing from. However, I remember a lot from the core classes.

ectx: Thermodynamics does not have a good reputation around here. It is among the most hated engineering classes here. The ones that have negative reputations here are (Physics Mechanics, Electricity and Optics, Circuit Analysis, Dynamics, Hydraulics, and Thermodynamics) I will have taken every one except circuit analysis after this semester. I hear circuit analysis is the worst, so Iím glad I donít have to take it.
    5-9 170

Amount of Hard Work Down the Drain:...
    Whoa man you're being way too hard on yourself there. Even though it may have been a while since you were sick, it really took its toll on your body and it may still be recovering even though you feel better. Give it a couple more weeks. Muscle memory will really kick in and you'll be right where you were before. Don't think of it as down the drain, think of it more along the lines as a temporary setback to the schedule.

I was an EE before switching majors to computer engineering. If I had stayed EE one more semester I would have been taking thermo. I had several semesters of circuit analysis though so that may have made up for the trouble I missed out on in thermo.
    What is elite?

hows the co-rec??
    Don't just call me pessimist. Try and read between the lines. I can't imagine why you wouldn't Welcome any change, my friend. I wanna see it all come down. suck it down. flush it down.

Wednesday January 15 2003 (Rest Day)
    Random Info:
    1. Yesterdayís workout must have gone very well with everything except the weights I lifted. I am experiencing major DOMS in my delts. I donít know why I never feel anything in my pecs though. There is also a decent amount of stiffness in my triceps. So far, I really like the move I made with triceps. My triceps did not feel as much in them when they were on shoulder day. Plus, this keeps me from working my triceps twice per week since they get a decent workout on bench. The biggest surprise today is the soreness I have in my abs. I have to admit that that cybex machine gave my abs a better workout than even the nautilus machine. The only thing I donít like about that machine is that you have to put the arms over the thing you push. Iím afraid that might give me a false sense of improvement if my arms would happen to push some of the weight. But, since my abs really feel it after this workout, Iím happy.
    2. I hate cold weather! Iíll take a 120 heat index over a subzero wind chill any day. Plus, I always catch a cold after this kind of weather.
    3. For my surveying lab today, we had a 2 hour and 15 minute lecture. Time really drags by when a lecture takes more than 1 hour. It was pretty funny that it was over eagle point and I heard a bunch of guys repeating the same things I said about eagle point.
    4. We have a quiz in thermodynamics on Friday. I still have to get the book for that class. I guess the early quiz is one of the reasons why thermodynamics is one of the most hated classes on campus.
    5. I need to try to start going to sleep by 11pm. I have 3 8:30s and 2 9:30s for class.
    6. Iím still laughing my ass off about a line that was in one of the general chat topics. It was such an absurd statement that it was funny. I was glad to see some people respond to how crazy that line sounded. Hopefully, this person will see things differently in the future for his/her own health.
    7. Tomorrow I get to work my least damaged part of my body. Luckily, my legs only took a minor hit from a few weeks ago.

Calories~2850

HomeYield: The problem is that my body is weird and doesnít seem to react the same as many others. Last year, I lost a bunch of strength over xmas break due to not working out and didnít get back to where I was until May. The same thing happened back when I ran track in high school. It took me 6 months to get my strength back after I lost some weight from all the running. I have some theory about my strength loss. I'm thinking since my upper body has smaller measurements but greater strength than my lower body, it takes bigger hits strengthwise due to lean body mass loss(since it is more efficient for its size). My lower body has bigger measurements than my upper body and only lost a slight amount of strength (probably since it is less efficient) Obviously that is just a wild guess, but it is always my upper body that takes all the damage when things like that happen.

The Calvinator: The co-rec is a major disappointment. They spent all their money on cardio stuff and didnít add more stuff in the free weight area. They replaced the power racks with less-useful squat racks. They got rid of the deadlift platform and seated calf raise machine. I really donít understand why they ignored the point that everyone made before they did all this. It is too damn crowded in there. It bothers me that they ignored this complaint. Iíd rather have the ugliest gym in the world with enough equipment that it isnít crowded rather than a ďprettyĒ gym that you have to go early to for things to be bearable.
    5-9 170

The only thing I donít like about that machine is that you have to put the arms over the thing you push. Iím afraid that might give me a false sense of improvement if my arms would happen to push some of the weight.
    I use a cybex ab machine. The one in my gym's probably an older model but instead of putting my arms over it, I curl my arms up on it like doing zercher squats. This way I know I'm not pushing with my arms. I don't know if you can do this with yours but its worth a shot.

Hopefully it won't take you until May to get your strength back up. Sounds like its coming back up pretty quickly though.
    What is elite?

Energizer Bunnie
    Originally posted by ryan1117
    Iím afraid that might give me a false sense of improvement if my arms would happen to push some of the weight. But, since my abs really feel it after this workout, Iím happy.
    Ahhhh glad to hear you are also a stickler for form.

Dont you worry none, the rate you are going, your weight will be top notch in no time.
    "Happiness is not an accident. Nor is it something you wish for. Happiness is something you design." Jim Rohn

A Work In Progress....II

DailyDiet

Thursday January 16 2003 (Leg Day)
    Weight = 164.5 Okay, maybe two days ago was a fluctuation. I was happy thinking I went from 162 to 166. Now, Iím back down again. The 166 could have just been a random fluctuation. I was eating at my maintenance level since I was pretty much on pace for 167 next week (with my pound per week bulk) I guess Iíll keep things at 3000 calories. Or, I might do 3200 on workout days and 2800 on non-workout days. I should probably quit worrying about fluctuations and just average 3000 calories per day. It seems like the weight would slowly but surely come on then since my maintenance level seems to be 2850 or so.

Squats (245/8) Whoa, I have completely recovered everything I lost on squats. I really worked for that last rep. My legs had a tremble in them on the last two reps which scares me a little since I feel safest when the safety bars are set at parallel (which I canít do with an un-adjustable squat rack) I looked parallel from the mirror directly in front of me. But, Iím still not 100% sure that I am competition legal. I had a big red line on both of my shoulders from the bar rubbing against them. It is still here about 12 hours later. I canít stress things enough that this was a lower body exercise. My upper body is still in a world of hurt in regards to regaining lost strength.

Standing Calf Raises: (450/8) This is a new machine for me since they ditched the seated calf raise. I feel it is a better workout for my calves anyway. The 450 is pretty much all the weight the machine can hold. I could possibly try to put another weight on the edge of each side, but there would likely be a little overhang and I also donít like the idea of weights falling off while Iím doing the exercise. My legs trembled big time on this machine even though my calves didnít have much trouble. This also is questionable on my spine. It felt like my vertebrae was getting compressed in a bad way from it.

Stiff Legged Deadlifts (from floor) (335/8) Iím adding a special note on these from now on noting that I do them from the floor and not on a platform like many do. Obviously, I would be doing less weight if I would be standing on a platform. It still is the 2nd best hamstring exercise for me next to squats. So, I figure I wonít fix it since it is not broke. This is 4 pounds better than what I did last week on here. I still have to get back up to 352 for 7.

Leg Extensions (163/7) This is down by 3.5 reps on the same machine. I figure that it is not that much to get concerned about since Iím back to where I was on squats.

Leg Curls (125/7) This is down 2 reps. But, just like leg extensions, Iím not worried since my squats are back to what they were.

Hot Chicks:
    Note: All cardio queens are not eligible for this list. They have to do at least one weight training exercise to get on here. (even if it is the abductor machine)
    1. I bet you canít guess which machine Miss Volleyball Shorts worked out on after she finished her cardio.
    2. Miss Unorthodox DB Laterals was there doing some tricep pushdowns. I believe she had a dress code violation with the long pants.
    3. This one had some blonde hair tied back. She had very nice legs with some short shorts with the text across the butt. However she was tan this time of year and I bet you couldnít guess in a million years what machine she worked out on.

The winner goes to Miss Legs. She had a very nice pair of legs that looked like they havenít been eaten up like most anorexic-looking cardio queen legs there.

Gym Mysteries:
    1. Okay, an exercise bike shouldnít count as exercise in the first place. However, most of the people there were pedaling at such a slow pace that they would not have overcome the static friction on all the parts if it were a real bike. They are pedaling with no resistance and reading magazines while they are at it. Riding 57 miles on a real bike once gave me less of a workout than 2 sets of squats. So, I know these people with no resistance on the exercise bikes might as well be sleeping during the time they are wasting.
    2. We all know what some guys were doing in the squat rack when I went in there. I gave them a dirty look while they were doing their 65 pound curls. I guess some day they will be able to pull off a 65 pound deadlift to get the bar in the starting position.
    3. I almost had to go over and yell at a guy when he was telling some resolutioner that you shouldnít up weights in anything less than a 10 pound increment. Luckily, he eventually said that he was giving the guy a hard time and that it isnít a bad thing to do smaller increments. Small increments are by far the best thing to go by in my opinion. You can get away without them in things such as squats and deadlifts. However, in things such as DB Laterals or Bicep Curls, 10 pounds is one huge jump. The only thing I donít like about most DBs is that you are forced to go up in 10 pound increments.
    4. The cardio area was very full again. But, it may be a blessing in disguise since it will keep many of those people out of the weight area.
    5. Some girl had to put an adjustable bench right in the center of an aisle. The bench was also positioned so the long part was perpendicular to the aisle path which means it blocks as much of the aisle as possible. Gee, how do I get to that bar I have loaded up for SLDLs? I had to hurdle over a bench to get there. Where is her common sense?

Other Stuff:
    1. I found a great spot to do deadlifts at. They switched the configuration of the room around a bit. Now there is an open space by the smith machines to do deadlifts. I wonder if someone else told them that it is not safe to have 400 and some pounds hovering above the ground when a curl jockey bumps into you.
    2. I actually saw a female doing squats. The score is now something like Abductor Machine 250---Squats 3 for women in the gym. She was doing 95 pounds which was also pretty decent. Maybe some day I will see one of them do more than 100 in person!
    3. It just keeps snowing. This makes parking worse than it already is here. Some people are double parallel parked (not intentionally) since snow is covering up all the lines.
    4. Okay, I wish the US would adopt the metric system solely based on how much of a pain in the ass engineering problems are when not in metric. Most of the classes have used both systems, and the metric problems were much better (especially whenever gravity is a factor).

Song of the Day:
    Pearl Jam-----Alive (Track 3 off of Ten)

Iím not a huge Pearl Jam fan, but Ten is definitely a classic and great album. In my opinion it was the better grunge album of 1991. Ten is a superior album in my opinion to the most overrated album of all time which is Nevermind. Donít get me wrong, I listen to and like Nevermind. I just think it is a so-called greatest album that the media wants to force-feed to the public. I bet if Kurt Cobain didnít kill himself, Nevermind would not be nearly as big. Now, Iíll get back to Pearl Jam. I love how Alive sounds with subwoofers. This is the typical type of song that seems to not have any bass between say 80 and 150 hertz. However, it is loaded with bass below 80 hertz. Therefore, the first time I listened to this track with subwoofers, the bass totally caught me off guard. This is also a model track with how it was recorded. The rap-like bass does not interfere with the vocals or guitars (which I wish I could say for most bands I like) I guess if you havenít heard this track on decent subwoofers, you can picture a huge wave of pressure pushing on your chest and hair from the bass while Eddie Vedder sings ďI----hiiiiimmmmmeee oooooooo-oohhhhhhh Iím still AliveĒ

Calories~3300

HomeYield: How are the arms on zercher squats? I have never done them before.

Franji: I probably shouldnít even worry about ab exercises that much. In my opinion, ab exercises arenít the best lifts to get good abs anyway. So, I shouldnít really worry that much about the weight Iím using. I should just worry more about feeling it in my abs the next day. I think squats and deadlifts are the best since they can add so much lean body mass and use abs anyway during the lift.
    Last edited by ryan1117; 01-16-2003 at 08:25 PM.
    5-9 170

Glad to hear your squats are right up there where they were before. Must just be something about your upper body. Don't worry though, it'll get back up there. Maybe with more mass on you this time, recovering that strength won't take as long.

I looked around for a picture of somebody doing zercher squats. This is the best I could come up with though. I hold the ab bar a little bit higher but curl my arms underneath like this. Hope that makes a little bit more sense.

I think you're dead on about Nevermind. I'm not a huge Pearl Jam fan and I like Nirvana but I don't think Nevermind was their best album. Bleach was actually my favorite. So much more angst and heavy guitar.
    What is elite?

Energizer Bunnie
    Originally posted by HomeYield
    I think you're dead on about Nevermind. I'm not a huge Pearl Jam fan and I like Nirvana but I don't think Nevermind was their best album. Bleach was actually my favorite. So much more angst and heavy guitar.
    Wow....I thought I was the only person alive that was not a huge Pearl Jam fan ... Good call Ryan on that particular song though ...its my favourite of theirs !!

My favourite Nirvana album would have to be their Unplugged in New York..... just wanted to share.
    "Happiness is not an accident. Nor is it something you wish for. Happiness is something you design." Jim Rohn

A Work In Progress....II

DailyDiet

I like "Porch" from Pearl Jam and the entire Vitalogy album. But, Nirvana was pretty break through for my musical existance. Without them, who knows what I'd be like.

Saturday, January 18, 2003 (Shoulder/Bicep)
    Weight = 164.3 I walked up to the scale thinking that this would be around 167. Well, Iím even lower than I was on Thursday. I donít get why either. I had my calories in the low 3000ís the last two days. I guess Iíll be upping things to 3500 until I get to where I need to be. Does anyone have some extra weight they want to sell me?

DB Press (60/10) I added a rep here from last week. Iím still probably the equivalent of one rep under my personal best with the 65ís for 8.

Preacher Curls (80/7) I donít know how my preacher curl is supposed to compare to my bicep curl. Iím 20 pounds lighter right now on preacher curls. Of course, this is my first time doing them in about five years so that might be a reason.

DB Laterals (30/6) I didnít improve from what I did last week. However, these were one of my least damaged exercises so Iím still only 1 down on my personal best. I also donít like this exercise since the 30ís are too heavy for 8-10 reps and the 25ís are way too light for 8-10 reps. I really wish they had something I could tack on to get them to be 27.5 pounds. 10 pounds is way too much of an increment at that light of a weight.

DB Bicep Curls (40/7) These felt a lot harder than I thought. I figured Iíd be doing the 45ís for this rep range. I guess it might be just getting used to a new exercise. I think Iím going to just do DB Bicep Curls over the barbell. I felt this in my biceps much better than the barbell. My forearms got a huge workout from this also.

Cybex Ab Machine (130/16!) I found out that the seat belt is very important on this. I started doing them without it and my body wanted to move all over the place due to the strange angle of the bar to be pushed. Iím very worried that the seat belts will break and they wonít repair them.

BB Seated Military Press (135/7) This is a rep better than last week but still two reps under my personal best. I noticed that this exercise feels super light the first few reps and then gets really heavy around the last few. I find that kind of strange because on exercises such and bench, the weight feels heavy for every rep.

Hot Chicks:
    1. Miss Lesbian was there using the 30ís for DB Bench. Thatís pretty good considering whatever her bodyweight is around. That is the same weight I have seen many guys do for bench (but remember, they are stronger than me since they are bigger) She had her usual short shorts along with her bandana that gave her the name I call her. I really like her hams. I never noticed how nice they were since I usually saw her legs from the front.
    2. Miss Unorthodox DB Laterals was doing some exercise even stranger than her version of DB Laterals. She had some 10 or 15 pound DBs and was twirling them around. I have no idea what that was all about. A little later, she performed her signature lift with Ĺ ROM DB Laterals. I feel nothing in my delts until the DBs are at shoulder level when I do them. She was wearing her nice pair of short shorts. Her legs are on the skinny side, but at least she isnít tan in the winter.
    3. This one had short black shorts along with some black shoulder length hair. She was wearing a t-shirt that said, ďDonít Mess With TexasĒ. Her legs had a lovely definition that I like. Once again though, she was tan during the winter.

The winner of the day would have to go to Miss Unorthodox DB Laterals. Even though she has some issues with her workout routine, she is still better than most others since she is not tan this time of year. Like I said before, that usually means she would be a better person than the ones that are tan. Plus, she will get the last laugh when she is 30 and the others look 50 due to the year-round tanning.

Gym Mysteries:
    1. I think some resolutioners forgot the bench presserís code. The code clearly states that you should load up 225 on there and do it for as many reps as possible. For most, 225 is too much to do even once. In that case, the code says that the spotter must cover the difference so the person looks like they are benching 225. The spotter is also supposed to yell, ďItís all you!Ē while he is getting a great shrug workout on the spot. The guys today loaded up 2 25ís total instead of two twenty five.
    2. Somebody was doing 65 pound shrugs.
    3. There was lots of cottage cheese on the abductor machine. Letís think about a world that spot-reducing would exist in. Chicks would bulk up all the time to increase their chest size and then spot reduce everything else. Hey, that would be cool though.
    4. Some guy walked up to the side of me while I was doing DB Laterals. He probably figured I would stop in the middle of my reps so he could walk by. I saw him walking up in the mirror and made sure not to stop doing my set. I brought them up and only missed his head by a few inches. I would have been laughing pretty hard if he would have had a 30 pound DB hit him in the head. I wish it would have hit him to teach him a lesson not to distract people like that.

Other Stuff:
    1. I donít care if Purdue is 3-0 in the Big Ten and 11-3 overall, they are not looking that good right now. Squeaking by at Penn State is not what I call a good game. Thanks to that, I figure they will lose out on the road for the rest of their games. At least they are a great team at home. They will probably go 7-1 at home and 1-7 on the road in the Big Ten.
    2. We got even more snow today.
    3. Helicopters are very useful in Vice City. Iím using one all the time now on missions where I have to run from the cops. Those damn FBI guys in their Suburbans keep blowing my cars up on the chases.
    4. The garbage truck seems to be one of the best vehicles to drive in that game next to the tank.
    5. My right calf is really sore. I donít like how Iím feeling it in my right calf and not my left calf. I donít know if I will have to start trying to do standing calf raises one leg at a time to prevent this from happening. I think the whole reason why this has happened is due to my legs wanting to tremble with the weight on my shoulders. Obviously, this is much more weight than I use on squats.

Song of the Day:
    Bloodhound Gang-----I Wish I Was Queer So I Could Get Chicks (Track 4 off One Fierce Beer Coaster)

This is an amusing track on an amusing album.

Calories~3500 I dare you to be 164 again bee-atch!

HomeYield: Okay, that came to my mind after I asked you. Thanks for the link.
    Franji: Does Pearl Jam have a huge following in Australia or something since you said you thought you were the only person who was not a huge fan? Iíd say they have a moderate following over here, but nothing huge. I personally have only liked a few other tracks here and there since Ten.
    Galileo: Since youíre in a band, that is a good enough reason for me. Maybe non-musicians like me see albums differently.
    5-9 170

Good to see the strenght is almost completely back.

I saw one of your Gym Mysteriesô...or at least something worthy of it...a guy was doing barbell curls on the bench...no, not sitting or lying, but standing and facing the rack. Perhaps there is some bizarre purpose to doing things this way that eludes me, or perhaps this is just another Gym Mysteryô.
    ecDoesIt

"You're such a girl carbon. You're strong as hell, making wicked progress, and I post in your journal. WTF more could you want?"
    Anthony

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    - Sinclair Lewis

My latest (and only) WBB article.

I'm still confused as to why being tan in the winter is a bad thing...
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Training is really looking sold ryan. I still cant get over what youre pulling from the floor at your bodyweight. Insane man, keep up the hard work. When are you going to be going for 475? Or 500?

Originally posted by MonStar
    Training is really looking sold ryan. I still cant get over what youre pulling from the floor at your bodyweight. Insane man, keep up the hard work. When are you going to be going for 475? Or 500?
    I agree. Your deadlift is very impressive for your bodyweight.

Tan all the time is a good thing...especially for women.
    peace-

Craig

Sunday, January 19, 2003(Back)
    Weight = 165.3 This is about where I wanted it to be at. Hopefully, I can be at 167 a week from now to get me back on track for the pace of my bulk.

Deadlifts (405/3) This is getting a little bit better. I improved from last week, but I probably would have gotten this for 4 when I pulled 452. I also pulled 425/2 right before I got sick. I figure maybe 415/3 would be about equal to that. Iím thinking about loading up 425 again next week and attempting to get 2 reps with it. I noticed that my biggest improvement came when I was doing doubles. I upped my max by about 40 pounds in the month that I was doing doubles.

BB Row (155/7.5) Iím Ĺ a rep off my best on here.

Hammer Strength Shrugs (450/7) Since they didnít allow me to use chalk after my deadlift, I had to ditch barbell shrugs. This machine is much easier than normal shrugs since the grip is perpendicular to the normal grip from shrugs. Plus, the weight is even with the center of the body. 450 is the most you can load up on it. I may try doing paused reps with 360 on there. I donít seem to feel a whole lot in my traps from shrugs when I donít pause them. I figure something like a 3 second pause at the top of the lift could really hit my traps. Plus, I would then have room to up the weight unlike when I donít pause them.

Lat Pulldowns (10bars/13) I have no idea what the bars weigh. I would normally guess 130, but this felt similar to the 170 I did last week.

Pull Ups (BW+10/6) I still canít get these to budge. I donít get my problem with pull ups. I can do as many true 1-handed push ups as I can do bodyweight pull ups.

Hot Chicks:
    1. This one had short orange shorts that were pretty tight on her body. She had really long blonde hair. The hair went all the way down to waist level. I donít really like hair that is that long. However, since she had a nice body, she makes her way on to here.
    2. This one had a gray shirt along with gray shorts. She was sort of short, but had a nice pair of legs and shoulder length dark brown hair. However, I bet you could never guess what machine she used.

This one is too close to call. Iíll give both 8ís.

Gym Mysteries:
    1. Some guy had a very ugly set of curls. I know this sounds redundant, but his were really bad. The best way to describe it would be to picture someone flinging the bar as fast as possible with a 2/3rds range of motion.

Other Stuff:
    1. My right calf is still bothering me. I think it may be more so bad than good pain. I think Iíll have to do standing calf raises one foot at a time to keep the weight distribution even.
    2. It also feels like Iím experiencing bad pain in the tendons around my elbow. The most likely reason for this was preacher curls. I may just do hammer curls instead of alternating between preacher and hammer curls. My biceps on the other hand actually feel something a day later. Therefore, I think Iím sold on DB bicep curls over the barbell version.
    3. Like I mentioned in the general chat area, Iím pretty angry about them telling me Iím not allowed to use chalk in the gym. First off, Iím very careful when applying chalk for it not to get all over the place. Usually, there are only a few very small white specs on the floor once Iím done. If it is the bar that they are more worried about, that is just plain pathetic. A few others on this board gave me an idea of talking to the person in charge. I plan on doing that. The problem is that, the people at this university donít seem to care about the students. Even if I do promise to clean anything I leave from the chalk, there probably will be different people working there every time who wonít know I got the okay to use it. (which in a way could be useful for me to sneak chalk in). They need to realize that the people that make the gym a mess are not powerlifters such as me. The bulk of the chaos in there comes from curl jockeys that donít re-rack weights, put 45ís on multiple racks so they overlap, put DBís back in the wrong spot, do curls in the squat rack, take up a machine for 45 minutes because they think that ten sets are five times better than two, or the ones that bump into you while you have 400 and some pounds hovering in the air on deadlifts.

Song of the Day:
    Smashing Pumpkins-----Jellybelly (Track 2 off Mellon Collie)
    This track brings back nice memories of playing multiplayer Quake. I always used this disc as the music CD for Quake. Actually though, track 2 was the track that was designated for the level end music. So, I always heard this track when I beat a level or a multiplayer level ended. This is a nice and heavy track.

Calories~3500

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ectx: I have seen that a few times. Iím surprised people donít do that more. Maybe it is because most know the purpose of a bench and have the courtesy to not use one for anything else.

Belial: That whole tan thing is an over exaggerated prediction on how nice of a person a girl is. Even though there is a huge number that are tan and nice people, it just seems like many of the unfriendly ones are tan.

MonStar: Thanks for the compliment. Iím probably not going for a max any time soon. Right now, Iím probably about a rep less at 405 from where I was when I got sick. I plan to aim for doubles on all my training sessions since those gave me a 40 pound improvement in a month. I figure I wonít be trying for a max until early May unless Iím pulling around 470 for 2. I figure that would be around the time Iíd have a chance of getting 500 since my 2 rep max was 425 when my one rep max was 452. Hopefully the 10 extra pounds of bodyweight Iíll add by then will help.

BennettBoy: Thank you also for the compliment. Compliments like this really do mean a lot to me. I agree that a tan does look better, but there is a point that they seem to start looking worse if they go any darker.
    5-9 170

Energizer Bunnie
    Franji: Does Pearl Jam have a huge following in Australia or something since you said you thought you were the only person who was not a huge fan? Iíd say they have a moderate following over here, but nothing huge.
    Yes, they have a huge following here. Eddie Vedder is a legend in his own right though....he does some pretty damn amazing covers with Neil Finn from Crowded house... There is no doubt He's got a magnificent strong and masculine voice...I'm just not fond of Pearl Jam tis all. .

Great workout btw & great news about your weight....

A Work In Progress....II

DailyDiet

Hammer Strength Shrugs (450/7) Since they didnít allow me to use chalk after my deadlift, I had to ditch barbell shrugs. This machine is much easier than normal shrugs since the grip is perpendicular to the normal grip from shrugs. Plus, the weight is even with the center of the body. 450 is the most you can load up on it. I may try doing paused reps with 360 on there. I donít seem to feel a whole lot in my traps from shrugs when I donít pause them. I figure something like a 3 second pause at the top of the lift could really hit my traps. Plus, I would then have room to up the weight unlike when I donít pause them.

Dude that is impressive. 10 plates. I use this machine very regularly and 8 plates is as much as I've done. I seem to struggle with form and really being able to flex my traps even with this amount of weight. Damn, very impressive.
    peace-

Craig

Tuesday, January 21, 2003(Chest/Triceps)
    Weight = 165.5 up 0.2 pounds, 9.5 pounds to go.

DB Bench (80/10) Good, this is up a good two reps from what I did last week. Iím still about two reps off of where I was.

Tricep Extensions (85/8) I lost a rep here which puts me 10 pounds below where I was. I donít have a clue why I lost a rep.

DB Incline Bench (70/9) This is what I did last week. My triceps were tired before I did this, so that could be a possible reason.

Tricep Pushdowns (11 bars/9) I used a different bar attachment for this today. I like it a little better than the one I used last week. However, the one they had that was really nice last semester is nowhere to be seen like most of the better things they had with the old gym.

Ab Crunches (130/16) This is what I did last time, but these are done twice a week so I canít expect to improve every time.

Dips (85/6) Dips may be in the worst shape out of any upper body exercise. I donít even want to do them with this kind of weight. It makes me too angry to think about how some virus can take away 5 months of progress on this exercise. At least my squats and deadlifts are pretty much back on track.

Hot Chicks:
    1. This one was wearing a pair of loose volleyball shorts. They were tight around the behind, but a little loose around the leg. She had black shoulder length hair along with a nice proportioned body. She did a bunch of ab work.
    2. This one had a pair of short yellow shorts and some very nice legs. She had some blonde hair tied back. She proceeded to do some leg raises.
    3. Do I even need to mention that Miss Volleyball Shorts was there on a weekday? The biggest surprise was that I didnít see her on the abductor machine. However, she usually goes there first thing, and I was in the free weight area then.

The winner of the day goes Miss Leg Lifts. Her legs were too attractive to take anybody over her.

Gym Mysteries:
    1. Some idiot was taking up an adjustable bench for 20 pound concentration curls.
    2. Some guy did a huge momentum-based set of 30 pound DB bicep curls.

Other Stuff:
    1. There was lots of cottage cheese over around the machines. I guess Iíll have to give these girls for still sticking to their resolutions for the fourth week of the month. (As sarcastic as that sounds, Iím really serious.) It is truly sad for the sake of most of the resolutioners that they have already given up.
    2. For the second time since August, I was asked for a spot when I was doing an exercise other than deadlifts. The guy was doing the 95s for a decent number of reps on DB bench.
    3. I hate Eagle Point!
    4. The assignment for my surveying class was once again a complete joke. We had to use Eagle Point for some surveying data. The problem comes with them expecting us to be fluent in Eagle Point after we have some brief intro for it. It was so obvious today in the lab that nobody had a clue at how to do things from what we were given. Everyone was asking question after question to each person in the room from the same class. They might as well have made the thing a group project for the entire class because that is pretty much what happened with the 4 or 5 of us that were working on it in there. To make things worse, you have to enter all the traverse points in Eagle Point at once. You canít enter them one at a time and save if things go right.
    5. That project finishes off my week homework wise. I should enjoy the first few weeks while they are here because once exams start rolling around, things start to suck really fast.
    6. I think I'm going to buy a lock and just pack up my workout clothes along with me to my first class on Tuesday and Thrusday. It is sort of a waste for me to go back to my apartment since the gym is on the way back from class. Plus, I won't have to deal with the bad parking situation.
    7. I think I'll start bringing a gym bag with me to sneak my chalk in with on Sundays. I'm going to put it on my hands but not on the bar. I may be able to get away with things if I totally cover my hands with chalk before I enter the room. That way, nobody will see me applying it.

Song of the Day:
    Tool--------Hooker with A Penis

I was going to use Stinkfist as the song of the day, but Franji used that one within the last week. So, I brought in a substitute track from Tool that I like just about as well.

Calories~3200
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Franji: Haha, Crowded House, I remember them from when I was in kindergarten. I remember that song ďSomething So StrongĒ and that other one ďHey NowĒ. Actually, those may not be the real titles, but I remember those two songs. They seemed to disappear in the US after 88 (or at least in the mainstream).

BennettBoy: I think Iím going to drop down to 360 because my form is really choppy at 450. I have seen lots of big guys use the same form as I do, but obviously that doesnít always make it right. Plus, I seem to feel it in my traps much more when they are flexed and hold something for more than just a split second. I do think my traps are one of my stronger body parts though because I never have missed a deadlift attempt I have gotten past my knees. I assume the traps are responsible for the lockout on deadlifts.
    5-9 170